No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simplest way without having to do any fabrication. Not exactly cheap, but less than paying someone to weld tabs to the subframe.

m106 1990 e30
    e36 daily
    e32 cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
      If I'm not gonna drive it like it should be driven I may as well buy a Kia, I drive e30's because it's the only affordable car that can take the abuse I put them through.

Not to mention how sexy they look :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I agree, once I get my swap put together I'm sure I wont be the kindest guy if I find myself alone on some backroads.

Adjustable rear subframes are great as long as they don't pop out of adjustment, and if you're driving hard consistantly, I'm sure that can happen.
      Its as easy as just tack welding your adjustment in place.

I will most likely be using revshift poly subframe riser mounts, using diff spacers. Unless a better option pops up.

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
        I agree, once I get my swap put together I'm sure I wont be the kindest guy if I find myself alone on some backroads.

Adjustable rear subframes are great as long as they don't pop out of adjustment, and if you're driving hard consistantly, I'm sure that can happen.
        Its as easy as just tack welding your adjustment in place.

I will most likely be using revshift poly subframe riser mounts, using diff spacers. Unless a better option pops up.
        http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30-...ekit-lock.html
        I have no experience with these but they look better than the "offset washer" style...
        Last edited by DER E30; 01-18-2014, 11:57 AM.
        -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
        08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
        318iS, slow build/garage queen...
        '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
        Originally posted by roguetoaster
        Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
          Hey guys I'm going to be doing a full suspension refresh in a couple weeks and I'm curious what I can do for rear camber correction, I was thinking of using the condor 12mm subframe risers. Do I need the diff spacers too? I don't really understand how that stuff works. I'm on gc coils spun all the way down.

I just did the weld in kit for the subframe. Can you weld? If so, it's ridiculously easy to do. I picked up a spare subframe from the JY for $15 so down time is nil. (I have to install it this week and get it re-aligned).
          84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
          Manual swap all the things!

Comment

I would so weld if I had a welder and knew how to. Have a few spare subframes, too.
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
              I would so weld if I had a welder and knew how to. Have a few spare subframes, too.
              Dude. Welding is one of those things every car guy should learn how to do. It has come in handy so many times and lets you do so much more custom stuff. I started with a shitty harbor freight $50 MIG welder when I was 16 or so and eventually found a basically new lincoln140 on craigslist for $150. You don't perfect because a grinder and paint pretties up almost anything. I won't weld a cage or anything but making motor mounts, shock mounts, brackets, exhaust systems, etc are cake.
              84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
              Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
                Dude. Welding is one of those things every car guy should learn how to do. It has come in handy so many times and lets you do so much more custom stuff. I started with a shitty harbor freight $50 MIG welder when I was 16 or so and eventually found a basically new lincoln140 on craigslist for $150. You don't perfect because a grinder and paint pretties up almost anything. I won't weld a cage or anything but making motor mounts, shock mounts, brackets, exhaust systems, etc are cake.
                This, a thousand times this!

Those harbor freight welders are terrible... After mine broke I picked up a lincoln 180 on craigslist and haven't looked back. A gas welder welds 100 times better than a flux core :up:
                Practice makes perfect, or at least much better... :rofl:
                -Christian

Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

;DI may have to give this shit a try, worst case I have 2 buddies that weld like mad, Aluminum reservoirs/aircraft welders.

I'm gonna weld my doors shut and jump threw my windows racecar style. Just for practice.

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
                    ;DI may have to give this shit a try, worst case I have 2 buddies that weld like mad, Aluminum reservoirs/aircraft welders.

I'm gonna weld my doors shut and jump threw my windows racecar style. Just for practice.
                    Have fun with that! Use little tacks and limit the amount of heat to limit warpage! Thin metal sucks to weld on because it warps so easily...

Because racecar!!
                    -Christian

Comment

I'm actually certified in mig and tig but I don't own a welder lol :(

On another note if anyone needs foglights for a euro valance, hella 550's are a perfect fit and I mean perfect! But if you want to make use of the covers that come with it you would have to modify(cut) the valance. I haven't decided if I'm going to do that yet, my valance is pretty beat up and amber Hellas are nla I was pretty lucky to find a set Bnib. So I just have to figure out if I care more about the valance or the fogs....

Comment

Don't use the covers. If you care about them that much, take them out and get deletes.
                        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I didn't buy them not to install them. That's a waste of money. Although I probably won't use the covers because I don't want to have to get out of the car and pull them off when I hit fog.

Comment

Theres also this thing called laminx...
                            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                            willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                              laminx...
                              this.

i put that shit on all my headlights. tuff stuff.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Originally posted by 325islandhopper View Post
                                this.

i put that shit on all my headlights. tuff stuff.
                                Yup me too. The highway I live on has too many semis throwing gravel (literally) to run bare glass headlights...
                                -Christian

Comment

Working...
                                X