• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
    M20 = 180.3 kg = 397.49 lbs
    M52B28 = 148.85 kg = 328.16 lbs
    Im pretty sure thats the aluminum block M52 you posted

and I LOVE my M52. I get 25mpg when I beat on it and 28 when Im cruising. My particular motor is also lighter, so its good for the track since it has less mass over the front wheels. Id love to see what my setup is putting down so I can compare it with other setups, but Im stoked on my car. 24v lover here. If you want big power, theres no replacement for displacement, except for forced induction of course hahah
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I've been a member for a year, and this subject has come up at least 2 or 3 times, m50, s50, m30, s52, m20....

what about n54? ;)

Comment

Just say no to post 2005 non M motors IMO. Those turbo engines are maint whores.
        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
        willschnitz

Comment

aside from a little bit of carbon build up they seem like the next step. The other concern is turbo's going out after 100k..
          but dang you can pick a set up with manifolds for pretty damn cheap since a a small group of folks switch to RB turbos.

and that power curve. yummm

Comment

Anybody heard of a company by the name of MAC audio? Thinking if getting their 6x4 factory upgrade speakers for my front kick panel. They use factory grill cover and require no modification to the sheet metal. I want to keep as factory look as possible. 4inch component is too small, and I don't wanna hack up the sheet metal for a 5.25 component (although I wish it would fit).

sigpic

Comment

hey John,

try bavsound.com

this is what I have used, and plan to use in the future

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Looking for seats to replace the Corbeaus in my c900. Anybody have anything? I am thinking something period-correct like some MK2 Recaros or e30 Sport seats would look the part.
                '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

PNW Chit Chat thread

Made it home from LA. Had to try out the new wheels.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                    This isnt really data you would logically go off of. Both of the dohc motors could of have pre existing issues. You can really only compare brand new vs brand new. Besides the motors being built differntly, they operate differently. Different designers, builders etc. Parts likes radiators differ etc.
                    We cannot compare brand new to brand new, both motors are old designs and no longer being manufactured BRAND NEW (and if by an off chance they are, it would not behoove you to waste the money with better motor choices out there)
                    Brand new is not relevant to our discussion because no one here has a brand new motor.

My experience seems pretty logical to me, since I've experienced it. I had no idea we were comparing different motors

I've seen a few 24v die (including at the track) and I've killed an m20 myself. Never seen a M30 grenade. This just goes to show that we have different experiences, which is fine. I like m30's, think m5x are dumb to swap w/o serious mods, and s5x is a good swap but not something I plan on doing (definitely not in favor of my current motor)

Just back to my original point that m30's quality and maintenance is not worse than a 24v.
                    m106 1990 e30
                    e36 daily
                    e32 cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      Im pretty sure thats the aluminum block M52 you posted

and I LOVE my M52. I get 25mpg when I beat on it and 28 when Im cruising. My particular motor is also lighter, so its good for the track since it has less mass over the front wheels. Id love to see what my setup is putting down so I can compare it with other setups, but Im stoked on my car. 24v lover here. If you want big power, theres no replacement for displacement, except for forced induction of course hahah
                      Yea I put a variable for the weight difference compared to 12v at the bottom.. You could say aluminum block or stripped of accessories should be around the same weight but I wonder what a stripped aluminum M52 weighs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDerelict View Post
                        Made it home from LA. Had to try out the new wheels.
                        Did you buy the 535 that a guy was selling down here? I was eyeballing that car. Great deal

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                        Yea I put a variable for the weight difference compared to 12v at the bottom.. You could say aluminum block or stripped of accessories should be around the same weight but I wonder what a stripped aluminum M52 weighs.
                        Mine has no power steering and no a/c. Car weighed basically identical to what it weighed when I had the M20.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Putting up my 535i today, needs a little bit of TLC but nothing excessive.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            Did you buy the 535 that a guy was selling down here? I was eyeballing that car. Great deal

Mine has no power steering and no a/c. Car weighed basically identical to what it weighed when I had the M20.
                            See, aren't you glad you went 24v?!
                            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                              hey John,

try bavsound.com

this is what I have used, and plan to use in the future

They don't seem to make anything for pre-92 bimmers, and even then I haw to go up to 98 to get any options, all ow which will not bolt on.

Thanks though, Matt!

sigpic

Comment

all seriousness though, I'm still on the fence about the m30/m5x thing, I'm looking to make 250-300hp to the ground, Naturally aspirated, and not spend a shit ton of money. I have been leaning towards the M30 because they seem to be a lot easier to find these days, cheaper, reliable, and.....well South African market did have a E30 333i, and of course Hartage....
                                But the whole 10mpg thing is spooking me.
                                It would be nice to go M5x or even M54, but I'm not sure I am up to the wiring challenge, and it seems lately I have seen a lot of swaps go really sour in a hurry, with everything from crank with no spark, no fuel, to runs like shit, with no fixes to be found. Almost like a ghost in the machine scenario.....

I dunno man, my franken-seta seems to be doing the job for now, but I still want more oomph....
                                Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Working...
                                X