Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
    No you can't, not unless you get the m50 free or re use gaskets and clutch
    Wrong, you definitely can, but you're reusing a lot of parts (arguably stuff that didn't "need" to be replaced). Not saying that's how I would do it at all, but it is an option if that's your budget.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by shameson View Post
      https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4842970774.html

Interesting find... electric powered e30
      Holy shit... that's interesting. I wonder if the wife would kill me ;)

Comment

Anyone ever use a eastwood tig welder? I know it's cheap and Chinese made but I'm looking for a DIY tig that doesn't break the bank, thoughts?

91 Alpinweiss2 318is OBD2 S52

Comment

Simon has one.

Comment

I know Simon bought one and has been pretty happy with it.
            clutchCTRL!
            Move with a purpose.
            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
            - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
            - 2000 323i AT
            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Tore off and broke my lip a few minutes ago on a curb; was in a hurry and thought I was in reverse but was in first (DOH!!). Where do I get an IS lip?
              1991 349is (wadded up)
              1984 Rabbit 2.0L16v swap (wife's)
              2003 LR Disco II (wife's)
              1993 MB 400SEL (son 1's)
              1980 MB 450SEL (son 2's)
              2004 KTM 525 EXC-R SM Sold:(

Comment

Pipes, you can get them through Blunttech. Is the lip broken or is it just the clips ?
                Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

no the lip is broken. It is 25 years old and brittle! Thanks I'll ping blunttech
                  1991 349is (wadded up)
                  1984 Rabbit 2.0L16v swap (wife's)
                  2003 LR Disco II (wife's)
                  1993 MB 400SEL (son 1's)
                  1980 MB 450SEL (son 2's)
                  2004 KTM 525 EXC-R SM Sold:(

Comment

Originally posted by Mlarsen View Post
                    Simon has one.
                    Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                    I know Simon bought one and has been pretty happy with it.
                    yup. love mine. welded a replacement floor in my 77 rabbit and also the rear valence from a certain iX ;D

I also bought a welding cart from Harbor Freight and bought a bottle of gas from the local place. all in all I think Im around $500 into it.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

$1500 for an m50 swap? That's obscene. Buy a parts car, sell everything you don't need (also all your m20 parts), then call pick n pull.
                      -Peter
                      '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
                      '91 318is slicktop project
                      '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
                      '00 Tundra

Comment

I'd say I was well under $1500. Hell, I was WELL under a grand but I did everything myself. I reused my clutch and trans because it shifted fine and the disc had plenty of meat with almost no burn marks. If the car wasn't a daily I would've sprung for more go-fast shit and new parts all around but a freshened up m50nv could be done for cheap.

Originally posted by ClausE30 View Post
                        Anyone ever use a eastwood tig welder? I know it's cheap and Chinese made but I'm looking for a DIY tig that doesn't break the bank, thoughts?
                        The guy that finish-welded all the stainless hot side piping for my turbo trans am used an eastwood tig and while it's not that most beautiful (arguably more skill than welder related) it's tough and has lasted to my abuse for awhile.
                        84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                        Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Since not driving my car, I decided to start sanding and polishing my bumpers, along with repairing my busted air dam. I've filled one crack with Bondos flexible bumper repair, and I have to say its great! Hard, but very flexible. Sandable, but slow goin.

So I've seen not so many write ups on sanding off the annodize coating on the bumper and refinishing them, so I dove in and take a chance.

My bumpers are very clouded and I love shiny bumpers! The diving board, although hideous on all bmws, does look the best on an e24 IMO! I could take the bumpers off, send them to a place that could do the work I'm doing in no time flat for a lot of money, or you can start sanding that bitch with $6 worth of sandpaper and an electric sander. I chose the $6 dollar route, seeing a my car is a 633.

started with 60grit, cause it cuts through pretty well. I did also pick up some 180/320/600/800/1000/2000, paper, most of which I already had

Started sanding, but found out its super fucking tough, that anodizing is. It was cutting sure, but not fast enough. I was spending half an hour on about 20% of the top surface of the bumper, figure that one out. So I went to Home Depot, picked up a can of ZEP oven cleaner. Online people have used it with good results, but only works on late model diving board cars, I knew that. I decided to use the spray a portion of the bumper with the cleaner and sand on top of it. Guess what!? Works great. Had the top stripped in 30 minutes. Then I hit it with 180 to smooth it all out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421379212.442888.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	7173096

Haven't started and higher grit cause my arm are falling off. I think this will end up very nice by the weekend.
                          Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Finally got to see and go for a ride in Ryans' car! The car moves!!! :pimp:

EDIT: can you guys see that picture ok? Trying to host from a different site then usual..
                            clutchCTRL!
                            Move with a purpose.
                            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                            - 2000 323i AT
                            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post

Finally got to see and go for a ride in Ryans' car! The car moves!!! :pimp:

EDIT: can you guys see that picture ok? Trying to host from a different site then usual..
                              Pic works for me
                              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                              Originally posted by roguetoaster
                              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Cool. Hosting from a Picasa album that I have set to private, wasn't sure how that was gonna work here... hmm
                                clutchCTRL!
                                Move with a purpose.
                                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                                - 2000 323i AT
                                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Working...
                                X