No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does the tach work? Can you plug the gauge cluster into something from the LS ECU or run your own FW mounted trigger wheel and such.

I'd assume you leave the gas gauge alone, and run standalone sensors for coolant and oil?? E30 comp running the gauges and that;s all?
    -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
    08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
    318iS, slow build/garage queen...
    '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Iirc its not to hard to modify e30 cluster to avoid a ton of aftermarket guages clutter. Only hard one would probably be tach and temp.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
        Iirc its not to hard to modify e30 cluster to avoid a ton of aftermarket guages clutter. Only hard one would probably be tach and temp.
        Looking in my e30 electrical troubleshooting manual and in the haynes manual the tach and eco meter get info from the ecm but the low oil light has a simple switch on the motor with one wire and the coolant gauge is the same with a standalone sensor. Those two can be out into the LS pretty easily, just the Tach would need some extra hacking to make work or a replacement.

edit: Do we know if the speedo itself does the math to figure out speed?
        Edit2 NVM, the speedo does its own thing without ECM
        Last edited by DER E30; 02-12-2015, 05:33 PM.
        -Christian

Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
          Looking in my e30 electrical troubleshooting manual and in the haynes manual the tach and eco meter get info from the ecm but the low oil light has a simple switch on the motor with one wire and the coolant gauge is the same with a standalone sensor. Those two can be out into the LS pretty easily, just the Tach would need some extra hacking to make work or a replacement.

Almost certain it does its own measurements. Takes diff input and does the maths.
          Last edited by Wschnitz; 02-12-2015, 06:33 PM.
          willschnitz

Comment

You should get the LS1E30 manual, worth the investment, lots of diagrams and instructions and such. And Garret is a great guy.

Tach works pretty easily as long as it has the 4cyl chip in it, the v8 meshes fine with it.
            Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
            2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
            2010 Buell XB9SX
            2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
            1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
            1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
            1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
            2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
            2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post

Edit2 NVM, the speedo does its own thing without ECM

The tach would be ridiculously easy. With HPtuners or whatever software you plan on deleting VATS and emission stuff you can change the tach output to match whatever cluster you want. The typical LS tach is actually a 4 cyl output. When I swapped the LS into my trans am it read half the rpm it should have until I changed the output. I'd imagine your 4cyl coding plug would take the factory LS output well.

I'm accruing parts to the the LS swap as well. I did the massive booster delete.
              84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
              Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
                The tach would be ridiculously easy. With HPtuners or whatever software you plan on deleting VATS and emission stuff you can change the tach output to match whatever cluster you want. The typical LS tach is actually a 4 cyl output. When I swapped the LS into my trans am it read half the rpm it should have until I changed the output. I'd imagine your 4cyl coding plug would take the factory LS output well.

I'm accruing parts to the the LS swap as well. I did the massive booster delete.
                Have you driven the car with the delete kit? How feels?
                -Christian

Comment

I did the massive booster delete and corrado rotor/wilwood caliper upgrade at the same time. I split daily driver duty between my trans am and e30 with manual brakes. Yes, the pedal is fairly long but all the braking ability is there, it's just easier to modulate over the whole pedal stroke.
                  84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350

Comment

I'm just going to leave this here.

How are everyone's winter projects going?

Comment

Anyone got a good powdercoating place? Could even be standard wheel refinishing. But Gonna get the hartges re coated eventually and want the silver to match the Hartge caps silver.
                      willschnitz

Comment

I'm just going to leave this here.

How are everyone's winter projects going?
                        Slow as fuck. Hoping mine will be done sometime this year...
                        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I did the massive booster delete and corrado rotor/wilwood caliper upgrade at the same time. I split daily driver duty between my trans am and e30 with manual brakes. Yes, the pedal is fairly long but all the braking ability is there, it's just easier to modulate over the whole pedal stroke.
                          Dude, I finally put the pieces together. I've been seeing your car driving up and down Bothell Way in the morning while i'm waiting for the bus at the Park and Ride. I drive my iX down there in the AM and drive it home at night. I figured I would have known/heard of you or at least known you from r3v... now I know. The rear flares are killer man!

I think i've seen you putting around in your Trans Am too. Funny when I saw/heard it I knew it couldn't be stock. Super clean.

If you see my four door ix on black wheels driving around flash your highs at me. I think i've done it to you a few times and got no response. :(
                          clutchCTRL!
                          Move with a purpose.
                          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                          - 2000 323i AT
                          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Now that I think of it.. I just looked at what a 91 Trans Am looks like.. Looks alot like this guy that always pulls out of Oreilly as i'm waiting to get on Bothell Way from the Park and Ride. Always wondered why that Trans Am would rush out of the parking lot (TOP DOWN/FOGS ON) and kinda tailing/riding next to me.

That you?
                            clutchCTRL!
                            Move with a purpose.
                            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                            - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                            - 2000 323i AT
                            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

made a clutch stop today for the E28, loving it!!! Total cost $1

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                                Now that I think of it.. I just looked at what a 91 Trans Am looks like.. Looks alot like this guy that always pulls out of Oreilly as i'm waiting to get on Bothell Way from the Park and Ride. Always wondered why that Trans Am would rush out of the parking lot (TOP DOWN/FOGS ON) and kinda tailing/riding next to me.

That you?
                                Yeah man, that's me. I saw your car awhile back and tried bombing out to give you a thumbs up but you never looked over. It looks good!

Comment

Working...
                                X