PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
    ^I'm trying to find a major where I don't have to take any more calculus. I'm thinking business.
    No calculus in business haha accountants use the 4 basic functions of calculator hahaha :up:
    -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
    08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
    318iS, slow build/garage queen...
    '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

^I'm trying to find a major where I don't have to take any more calculus. I'm thinking business.
      Informatics. Interdisciplinary, no calc, and the world only needs more engineers/ui/ux people. And no suits.
      Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
      2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
      2010 Buell XB9SX
      2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
      1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
      1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
      1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
      2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
      2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Project Management.

You will always be able to find a job. The pool for "good" project managers is smaller than you think, and there is a lot of people who claim to be Project Managers but fail miserably..
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I only have calc 1 then I'm done with math for my major. That's still 1 math class I have to pass though.
          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
          willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
            Project Management.

You will always be able to find a job. The pool for "good" project managers is smaller than you think, and there is a lot of people who claim to be Project Managers but fail miserably..
            very true.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm in calc 2 right now, I doubt I'll come out with a B...
              Hank Ahrens
              1984 Alpine Coupe
              1978 911sc

Comment

So are you saying project management is good or bad?
                Hank Ahrens
                1984 Alpine Coupe
                1978 911sc

Comment

So are you saying project management is good or bad?
                  For a lot of people it's low hanging fruit. Exceptional PMs are awesome but there are a lot of PMs that think that they're engineers, that think that they're designers, they're right in the middle of things and often don't walk the line well. At every fair I go to I get 50% Java devs who think that they're automatically webdevs, 25% people with no prior work who want to do UX, and 25% who took a class and want to be PMs.

The best PMs that I've seen have come up through indirect methods, they spend time under PMs and see what is good and bad.
                  Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                  2010 Buell XB9SX
                  2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Agreed

I do see a lot of PM's who come up through the ranks and have a hard time leaving some of the "I'll just jump in an do it" mentality. Their job is a mix of maintaining a general overview of the project and it's goals, as well as managing personal. I always get worried when a Project Manager says "I hate meetings" or that nothing good ever comes out of meetings. If that's the truth, then they are not having the right meetings..

It's a job I won't ever claim to do well. I am fine with being in the trenches..
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I agree..

Though, I do see a lot of PM's who come up through the ranks and have a hard time leaving some of the "I'll just jump in an do it" mentality. Their job is a mix of maintaining a general overview of the project and it's goals, as well as managing personal. I always get worried when a Project Manager says "I hate meetings" or that nothing good ever comes out of meetings. If that's the truth, then they are not having the right meetings..

It's a job I won't ever claim to do well. I am fine with being in the trenches..
                      +1 all of this.

We have some PMs that try to keep scope creep down and "look out" for developers by nixing ideas/features without Engineering buy-in. Things that would be great for customers don't happen because a PM doesn't know that the added development time is like a day and not a week.

A good PM should do everything possible so everyone else can do their job without blockers, but should otherwise get out the way.
                      Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                      2010 Buell XB9SX
                      2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Comp Sci degrees at UW are all below 10 percent admission rates...
                        Hank Ahrens
                        1984 Alpine Coupe
                        1978 911sc

Comment

Lots of calc too and they only teach you Java. The head TA for their webdev class couldn't do our intern assignment. Informatics people tend to be really well rounded, but without side projects often are underskilled, sadly. CSE people don't usually have time for any side stuff, but when they do, they're really solid folks.
                          Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                          2010 Buell XB9SX
                          2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

says every weak engineer, myself included. lol

Comment

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
                              For a lot of people it's low hanging fruit. Exceptional PMs are awesome but there are a lot of PMs that think that they're engineers, that think that they're designers, they're right in the middle of things and often don't walk the line well. At every fair I go to I get 50% Java devs who think that they're automatically webdevs, 25% people with no prior work who want to do UX, and 25% who took a class and want to be PMs.

The best PMs that I've seen have come up through indirect methods, they spend time under PMs and see what is good and bad.
                              Agreed

I do see a lot of PM's who come up through the ranks and have a hard time leaving some of the "I'll just jump in an do it" mentality. Their job is a mix of maintaining a general overview of the project and it's goals, as well as managing personal. I always get worried when a Project Manager says "I hate meetings" or that nothing good ever comes out of meetings. If that's the truth, then they are not having the right meetings..

This echos what I'm learning in my various PM classes. As part of my master's in Engineering Management I take 3 different PM classes all focused on specific areas, and I've heard similar things from the profs and reading materials, i.e. the best PMs get that way through experience, not through classes or books (ironic, I know...)

Comment

Comp Sci degrees at UW are all below 10 percent admission rates...
                                I wonder if that includes people who switch immediately after they see the giant ass books of syntax, code, etc they have to read.

Saw a couple people switch from my major after they handed out the like 4 500 page cisco books lol.
                                1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                                willschnitz

Comment

Working...
                                X