E30 M50 swap with E90 booster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbontke View Post
    MFresh2089 did you buy from the UK and have it shipped over? Was shipping expensive?
    i bought it form ebay.. $75 shipped and arrived in 4 days to NC.. See below link to the seller..

Here at GlobalParts we specialize in selling a wide variety of used BMW car parts. Currently we have more than 25 000 spares to every BMW and MINI model. Our current offers are listed on eBay, however we have even more parts in our inventory! We are always helpful to find spares and solutions for our clients. Visit our shop or contact us for more information. In unseren Lagern ist eine Vielzahl von Teilen für die populärsten BMW und MINI Modelle verfügbar. Zur Zeit unsere Angebote beinhalten mehr als 25 000 Teile für verschiedene BMW und MINI Modelle. Brauchen Sie irgendwelche Autoteile oder andere Dienstleistungen? Wir freuen uns, dass wir Ihnen helfen können!

Comment

I have the X3 version which is prettier. I don't know if they all have the same MC size, this one is 25.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=9961261&d=1605834272.jpg
Views:	2546
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	9965616

Comment

I used X3 booster and M50 intake manifold, fit right up with the X3 reservoir

Comment

I don't hear anyone talking about the different mounting points; the e30 booster has 4 bolts going through the firewall while the e90 has two. They are also differently sized in terms of space between the bolts. Do people just drill extra two holes and call it a day?

Comment

Also RHD versions of e90 have the lines on the left side of the car. In my case it was nearly impossible to fit brake lines on the right side (as far as I remember - they collided with throttle cable), so I bouht an RHD master cylinder; everything looks better, fits better.
            If someone is interested - BMW f10 expansion tank/reservoir fits quite nice, straight from the box (with m52 throttle body - not sure if it will fit as good with m50 tb) - P/N 34 33 6 782 289:

Comment

Same question as Goupan re: the mounting points. Did you guys end up drilling 2 new mounting points on the firewall?

Comment

Originally posted by cirrusblau87 View Post
                Same question as Goupan re: the mounting points. Did you guys end up drilling 2 new mounting points on the firewall?
                You don't have to drill two extra holes. Take the two nuts off that hold the plate on that E90 booster. Voila! Now you have only two studs.

Comment

twright Thanks!! I'll share my experience with this when I get it set up.

Comment

Hey guys !! Nice write ups. I’m in the middle of doing a m52 swap and ordered the e9x booster. Can someone point me in the direction to pick up a custom clevis pin ? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DatBxE30 View Post
                      Hey guys !! Nice write ups. I’m in the middle of doing a m52 swap and ordered the e9x booster. Can someone point me in the direction to pick up a custom clevis pin ? Thanks
                      I cut off the original fork (just the fork!) from the booster, threaded the rod and used a new e24/e28 forkhead (p/n 34331150988, ~6 $ at Turner Motorsport, eg.). I don't remember if I was grinding the rod (wasn't it a bit too thick), but I made the thread the same as e30 fork. Then I used an original e30 clevis pin and so I also have a MC/brake pedal adjustment, just as it was before swap.

Comment

2 questions:
                        So The e90 fork is for sure too big with ANY size/length clevis? Nervous to weld e30 fork on for fear of heat cooking something inside the new booster.

Is it possible to pull the rod from the e90 booster for welding or threading work?

Comment

The rod is too long and the clevis is too wide. I guess you could shim for the width but the length will still be problematic.

I did not see a way to remove the rod on my E83 booster without taking apart the canister, the E90 should be similar. I drilled out a nut and tack welded it on the rod below the area to be threaded. This let me hold the rod steady for threading and I simply cut it off when done. I suppose vice grips could also work or maybe the right set up in a bench vice. It takes some creativity.

Comment

I've been told you can cut off the E90 booster fork and rethread it to accept a 34331150988 clevis/fork from some kind of euro E23/E28 I think?

Supposedly it is just longer than the E30 one. I ordered, but it's taking its time in shipping.
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I cut the E90 clevis off, threaded to e30 and used the E30 clevis, but it's not quite long enough and the brake pedal sits a hair too low.
                              I've also ordered the 6 series one and it's backordered for at least another month.
                              How much longer is that one? (E30 is 44mm?)

Comment

Working...
                              X