No announcement yet.

Another N52 swap attempt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problem. I don't remember if I saw this posted here, but will this work?

Compatible with the following engines:M52TU, M54, S54, M62 (ME5.2.1), M62TU, S62, N52, N52N, N54 Compatible with the following chassis:E30, E34, E36, Z3, and more…  Please provide us with your swap details to ensure that the correct installation instructions are included. After doing an engine swap on a BMW, the A/C co

Comment

I'm not sure. Someone asked about one of those controllers in a thread and never got a response. I'm thinking there is an easier solution. The Z4 HVAC controller has a dedicated wire thru the IVM to pin 21 of X60002 of MSV70, labeled Comp Enable DME. We just need to figure out what input MSV70 is looking for there.

I wish I knew someone with a Z4.

Way better than spending $250 on something that I don't know if it will work or not.

How's your oil pan coming along?

Comment

UPS actually just delivered my shipment from SendCutSend not too long ago, feels like Christmas. Hopefully some progress this week.

Comment

Started removing parts from the front end/engine bay to get it painted and saw a squirrel so now I'm back to sorting the wiring. New C101 is wired except for the the coolant temp and oil level that will come directly from the engine harness. I'm unwrapping the under hood harness all the way back to the fuse box. Some previous owner wired in the brake duct temp sensor and OBC alarm horn with wire nuts, then wrapped the entire harness in vinyl tape. I got rid of the OBC horn and fixed the temp sensor wiring. My ABS sensor plugs have have disintegrated so I ordered a couple Deutsch connectors to replace them. I also want the PWM signal for the fan to be ran with all the other front end wiring.

Here is where my wiring plan, I believe I've accounted for everything except for C101 pin 1, hopefully Hoveringuy's solution is working out nicely. If you see anything wrong please let me know.

E30 N52 swap wiring.pdf

Mandatory update picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0715.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.1 KB ID:	10120435
          Attached Files

Comment

Long past due progress. Busy time of year at work and with yard work.

I switched the crab box harness from the E90 over to the Z4/IVM setup. It's longer and hopefully will reach into the glove box also prevented me changing alternator and throttle body connectors to match my donor engine.

There are a couple slight differences in the harness between MSV70 and 80.

X60005 had 2 differences that I noticed. Everything else pinned out the same, verified with a continuity check. Both differences are in the hot-film air mass meter wiring. The Z4 had 4 wires running to it. It has a supply line from the ECU on pin 25 that isn't there on the e90 harness. I'm hoping it's not needed because it also had a power run from the Green connector, now connected to the IVM. I pulled that wire and went with the E90 MAF/connector that came with my donor car. Please let me know if I need to add it back for MSV70.

The other change is that the E90 had the signal wire on pin 4 of X60005 and the Z4 has it on pin 29.

Another small change is that the Z4 provides power to some of the crab harness using 2 separate wires on pins 4 and 5 of X60193, the E90 only had one wire for those same components. I got rid of pin 4 and used the single power wire on the E90. That shouldn't make a difference as pins 4,5,7 and 8 are all powered from fuse 1.

I'm glad I had both crab boxes because it took both to get enough pieces to fix broken connectors and sheathing. I added both the temp gauge coolant sensor and used the N52 oil condition wires for the oil level sensor, then stripped out rear O2 sensor wiring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0784.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	10121286

Name:	IMG_0785.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	10121288

Name:	IMG_0783.jpg