Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Had the exact same problem with the Nissens condenser I bought. Figured it would be easy enough to just unbolt the bottom plate, flip it and re-attach, except that one of the soft aluminum studs broke off while unscrewing the nut. Problem was I painted it black before I realized the issue so could not send it back. Ended up Flipping the bottom bracket and JB welding the plate back in place on the broken side, works fine but annoying that this seems to be a common issues with these.
    '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

    Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

    Comment


      Originally posted by Hoffbrohaus View Post
      Ok so this is how it came, just unbolt the 2 nuts on each end, pull the metal rail off, flip it and reverse it :)
      Mint, thanks.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Hoffbrohaus View Post
        Ok so this is how it came, just unbolt the 2 nuts on each end, pull the metal rail off, flip it and reverse it :)
        This worked perfectly, thank you so much. I can't believe I never thought of taking off the whole bottom end and reversing it like that.
        Last edited by ghrays; 05-16-2020, 08:51 PM.

        Comment


          The expansion valve is NLA. FCP Euro has this one as possible cross reference. Anyone verify this works?

          Comment


            Originally posted by cory58 View Post
            I apologize for the bad pictures. I need to replace or rebuild the compressor on my Touring. Does anyone know which of the E30 compressors is pictured below?

            Thanks, Cory

            AC Compressor 1 by cory58f5, on Flickr
            AC Compressor 2 by cory58f5, on Flickr
            You have a Seiko Seiki 6452-1386-464. The Seiko Seiki part # is SS-811PB3. I have the same compressor and am not sure if it was original with the car. I was hoping to find a re-manufactured r134a compressor as part of a proper conversion.

            Did anyone source a replacement for a Seiko Seiki 6452-1386-464 that didn't require modification to the mounting bracket or fittings?

            Comment


              Originally posted by doglegleft View Post

              You have a Seiko Seiki 6452-1386-464. The Seiko Seiki part # is SS-811PB3. I have the same compressor and am not sure if it was original with the car. I was hoping to find a re-manufactured r134a compressor as part of a proper conversion.

              Did anyone source a replacement for a Seiko Seiki 6452-1386-464 that didn't require modification to the mounting bracket or fittings?
              Thanks for the response! I actually took some clearer pictures and forgot to post them. Bad news that I have a Seiko. Was planning to have Jay Stratton rebuild it but he doesn't do Seikos. I've also heard good things about Polar Bear in FL, so it looks like I need to give them a call. I ordered all new hoses but now I wonder if the replacement will fit this compressor.

              Cory
              1992 325i Cabrio
              1988 320i Touring
              2000 M5
              1977 530i
              2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
              BMWCCA
              E30CCA

              Comment


                Originally posted by cory58

                Thanks for the response! I actually took some clearer pictures and forgot to post them. Bad news that I have a Seiko. Was planning to have Jay Stratton rebuild it but he doesn't do Seikos. I've also heard good things about Polar Bear in FL, so it looks like I need to call them.

                Cory
                Funny you mention Polar Bear... I ordered the shaft seal kit for the Seiko Seiki SS-170 which according to Polar Bear is also compatible with the SS-811PB3, Polar Bear's part number is SS-0842.

                Comment


                  I am doing the r134 conversion on my 1984 318i. Can anyone assist on how to wire the new pressure switch?



                  Or should I keep the old setup low/high switch with old dryer?
                  Winner winner chicken dinner?

                  My Seller Feedback Thread

                  Comment


                    I would appreciate your' opinion on this fan model:

                    SPAL KÜHLERVENTILATOR 2140M³ BLASEND D382-D350 T=63 / VA08-AP51/C-23S 12V

                    Link:
                    https://www.rennsportshop.com/de-top...m-blasend.html

                    It is in German, but you can make out the details. It is a 382 mm diameter fan (15") so it should fit correct? i have seen users running a 16" fan on the condenser. It is a push type fan with 2,140M3 capability, 12v and 9.9amps. I have already done the conversion last year (Nissens parallel flow condenser, cleaned out the hoses, new o-rings, expansion valve and new drier/receiver) but there is a tiny leak at the expansion valve, i emptied the system getting ready for repairs.

                    I could also order the Spal mounts, they come in various sizes (19mm, 28.7mm, and 58.6mm), i would be keeping the factory radiator/water pump fan and electrical system, already have a lower temp. switch on the radiator as well as a lower thermostat (it gets well over 40c/100F in summer here).

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Frog View Post
                      I am doing the r134 conversion on my 1984 318i. Can anyone assist on how to wire the new pressure switch?


                      Or should I keep the old setup low/high switch with old dryer?

                      My understanding is that the functionality of the system is the same whether you have the one or two switch set up. I kept the two switches because I could not get a solid answer on wiring the single switch. Just replace the dryer every time you open the system.
                      Last edited by cory58; 06-19-2020, 02:50 PM.
                      1992 325i Cabrio
                      1988 320i Touring
                      2000 M5
                      1977 530i
                      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                      BMWCCA
                      E30CCA

                      Comment


                        Since i had a leak in the system as well as some broken recirculation flaps and signs that the heater valve is leaking, i decided to remove the dash and the HVAC box and re-do the the whole HVAC system again.

                        I was researching again on the correct oil and filling capacities for the Seiko Seiki compressor and i am getting conflicting values.

                        When comparing to the chart listed here, some websites mention PAG 100 oil for this compressor with 200g capacity. Other websites show PAG 46 oil with 160-170g. Some include the BMW oil part number, some do not. The R134a filling capacity ranged between 900g and 1000g. It is getting a bit confusing, since even the remanufactured/rebuilt compressors for the Seiko Seiki are also conflicting between those values (PAG 100 for some, PAG 46 for others). I currently have PAG 100 in the system, but i am willing to drain and flush it again for PAG 46 if it is the correct one. I even came across some E32 posts with the same compressor, also conflicting between PAG 100 and PAG 46.

                        I am uncertain at this point on what to do, which oil viscosity and fill capacity? Any advice would be appreciated.

                        Comment


                          I am thinking about doing this on my '89 315iX (M20) soon and I wanted to run a few things by the crowd here to hopefully minimize mistakes.

                          I have a compressor on the car right now that the PO said is shot (belt is off). He also gave me a Seiko-Seiki SS-811PB3:

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	QzM4Wrs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	9937083

                          Will this compressor work?

                          I'm looking at the following parts:

                          Condenser: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...13&jsn=122
                          Expansion Valve: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1913&jsn=12188
                          Receiver Drier: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...hr-64538391025
                          Pressure Switch: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/64538390971
                          O-rings and adapters: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/10161106-559807901

                          Based on the chart I think I need ISO 100 PAG oil.

                          I don't know what to buy for an electric fan - I saw some people talking about https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBOKI4 this fan, but it says it is only ~1000 CFM, which isn't half enough according to the original post.

                          A lot of the parts I see seem to be good for manufacture dates through 8/89. What changed then, anyone know? I'm not sure what month mine was made...

                          Am I on the right track here or do I need to change anything?
                          Last edited by Chebyshev; 07-07-2020, 03:14 PM.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Chebyshev View Post
                            I am thinking about doing this on my '89 315iX (M20) soon and I wanted to run a few things by the crowd here to hopefully minimize mistakes.

                            I have a compressor on the car right now that the PO said is shot (belt is off). He also gave me a Seiko-Seiki SS-811PB3:

                            Click image for larger version Name:	QzM4Wrs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	9937083

                            Will this compressor work?

                            I'm looking at the following parts:

                            Condenser: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...13&jsn=122
                            Expansion Valve: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1913&jsn=12188
                            Receiver Drier: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...hr-64538391025
                            Pressure Switch: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/64538390971
                            O-rings and adapters: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/10161106-559807901

                            Based on the chart I think I need ISO 100 PAG oil.

                            I don't know what to buy for an electric fan - I saw some people talking about https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBOKI4 this fan, but it says it is only ~1000 CFM, which isn't half enough according to the original post.

                            A lot of the parts I see seem to be good for manufacture dates through 8/89. What changed then, anyone know? I'm not sure what month mine was made...

                            Am I on the right track here or do I need to change anything?
                            The parts you listed seem to be in order, with the exception of the O-Rings and adapters, i purchased 8 O-rings of every size directly from BMW, was a bit pricey (costed me around €40) but saved me the headache of dealing with incorrect sizes.

                            As far as my research shows, your compressor is similar to mine and they do take PAG 100 oil. The only "issue" is the total quantity in the system, i am still getting various values from 160cc to 200cc (around 5.5 ounces to 7 ounces). The biggest change for late model E30 AC system is the updated pressure switch, mine is a 1990 model and i did not require to do any modifications, it was already updated from the factory with both high and low pressure switches in one switch/part.

                            Regarding the fan, i believe the factory fan is rated at 900 CFM give or take, the size would fit nicely the flow is on the low end. I just picked up a SPAL 14" (360mm almost) push fan rated at 2,140 CFM, i found numerous threads on this fan being a bit loud but cools great for the R134a conversion.

                            I hope this helps.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by cory58 View Post

                              Thanks for the response! I actually took some clearer pictures and forgot to post them. Bad news that I have a Seiko. Was planning to have Jay Stratton rebuild it but he doesn't do Seikos. I've also heard good things about Polar Bear in FL, so it looks like I need to give them a call. I ordered all new hoses but now I wonder if the replacement will fit this compressor.

                              Cory
                              Hi Forum Members,

                              It has been so long since I joined, And I just saw this post from Cory.
                              Sorry I could not help him.
                              So I wanted to explain why, I do not rebuild Seiko/Seiki's any more.
                              I used to rebuild them, but no more, they are just a Cheap Disposable Compressor by S/S and also made by Calsonic, both are JUNK.

                              The internals of this Wingcell copy, was changed to save money, BMW had S/S and Calsonic delete the 4 impeller bearings,
                              so with no internal bearings around the impeller, their REBUILD, caused me so many headaches, and unhappy customers.
                              I Finally quit rebuilding them.

                              Were as the Wingcell is built so well, it is a good candidate for a rebuild,

                              Good Luck, this is a Great Writeup,

                              P.S> I also rebuild the Denso Compressors from the 10P family. The 10P13/15/17, all 3 types.

                              Best, Jay Stratton

                              http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=28245

                              jay_c_stratton@hotmail.com
                              jaycstratton9@gmail.com



                              Jay Stratton
                              '88 m6 Red/Tan

                              Link to my 16 websites
                              https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...rrent-websites

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by master6 View Post

                                Hi Forum Members,

                                It has been so long since I joined, And I just saw this post from Cory.
                                Sorry I could not help him.
                                So I wanted to explain why, I do not rebuild Seiko/Seiki's any more.
                                I used to rebuild them, but no more, they are just a Cheap Disposable Compressor by S/S and also made by Calsonic, both are JUNK.
                                Jay - Thanks for posting. I figured from your web site that the Seikos are junk and understand why you do not rebuild them.

                                I do have a follow-up question for the group: How difficult would it be to convert to one of the other compressors? The car in question is a 1988 320i Touring. I've never been clear on how BMW decided to put which compressor in which model. Are they like the style 5 wheels and sport seats - multiple manufacturers making the same part to the same spec? If so, do the different compressors mount to the engine the same and connect to the hoses the same? Please educate me.

                                Thanks, Cory
                                1992 325i Cabrio
                                1988 320i Touring
                                2000 M5
                                1977 530i
                                2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                                BMWCCA
                                E30CCA

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X