Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by master6 View Post

Hi Forum Members,

It has been so long since I joined, And I just saw this post from Cory.
    Sorry I could not help him.
    So I wanted to explain why, I do not rebuild Seiko/Seiki's any more.
    I used to rebuild them, but no more, they are just a Cheap Disposable Compressor by S/S and also made by Calsonic, both are JUNK.
    Jay - Thanks for posting. I figured from your web site that the Seikos are junk and understand why you do not rebuild them.

I do have a follow-up question for the group: How difficult would it be to convert to one of the other compressors? The car in question is a 1988 320i Touring. I've never been clear on how BMW decided to put which compressor in which model. Are they like the style 5 wheels and sport seats - multiple manufacturers making the same part to the same spec? If so, do the different compressors mount to the engine the same and connect to the hoses the same? Please educate me.

Thanks, Cory
    1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post

Jay - Thanks for posting. I figured from your web site that the Seikos are junk and understand why you do not rebuild them.

I do have a follow-up question for the group: How difficult would it be to convert to one of the other compressors? The car in question is a 1988 320i Touring. I've never been clear on how BMW decided to put which compressor in which model. Are they like the style 5 wheels and sport seats - multiple manufacturers making the same part to the same spec? If so, do the different compressors mount to the engine the same and connect to the hoses the same? Please educate me.

Thanks, Cory
      Basic primer on fitment ....aside from capacity, intended refrigerant and style (rotary or vane) compressors are spec'ed by mount type and hose position. When I did my cabrio conversion the mount I bought (which is now NLA)was set up for a specific Seltec model in to an e30 with a certain mount configuration. Because my also kit came with aluminum ferrules for the hoses I opted for a different model compressor that was the same shape and form but has an aluminum end plate so as to avoid dissimilar metals. The instructions advised rotating the hoses slightly at the compressor to clear the oil filter so this was a very specific application that worked out well.

When I converted my M10 car the mount was for a Sanden 508 with the 508 actually being the mount format rather than the compressor itself and the hoses were custom fabbed to fit.

The problem today is that no one makes a replacement mounting bracket so thats where you have to start. The OE bracket, to the best of my knowledge, will only allow you to mount OE style (meaning R12) compressors, which have proven to be adequate in many cases provided they have r134 seals, but are not designed to run at optimum pressure for r134. Trying to help but I may be raising more questions than Ive answered, but that IS the dilemma.
      Deck Lid and soft top Shocks on hand

Seat shocks on hand for immediate shipment
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post

Basic primer on fitment ....aside from capacity, intended refrigerant and style (rotary or vane) compressors are spec'ed by mount type and hose position. When I did my cabrio conversion the mount I bought (which is now NLA)was set up for a specific Seltec model in to an e30 with a certain mount configuration. Because my also kit came with aluminum ferrules for the hoses I opted for a different model compressor that was the same shape and form but has an aluminum end plate so as to avoid dissimilar metals. The instructions advised rotating the hoses slightly at the compressor to clear the oil filter so this was a very specific application that worked out well.

When I converted my M10 car the mount was for a Sanden 508 with the 508 actually being the mount format rather than the compressor itself and the hoses were custom fabbed to fit.

The problem today is that no one makes a replacement mounting bracket so thats where you have to start. The OE bracket, to the best of my knowledge, will only allow you to mount OE style (meaning R12) compressors, which have proven to be adequate in many cases provided they have r134 seals, but are not designed to run at optimum pressure for r134. Trying to help but I may be raising more questions than Ive answered, but that IS the dilemma.
        Thanks Jeff! Hope you're doing well. Great info as always. I do know that all the OE compressors were originally designed for R12. I'm not up for a custom mounting/hose project, so I'll just have to deal with the performance of an OE compressor. Since I need a new compressor and don't really want to buy a Seiko rebuilt at some unknown Chinese factory, I'm wondering if any of the other OE compressors (that can be rebuilt by someone I trust) are plug and play with the mounting bracket already in my car plus the new OE hoses I've purchased.

Cory

1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
          I've never been clear on how BMW decided to put which compressor in which model. Are they like the style 5 wheels and sport seats - multiple manufacturers making the same part to the same spec? If so, do the different compressors mount to the engine the same and connect to the hoses the same? Please educate me.

Thanks, Cory
          I think the early cars came with Bosch compressors and the later cars (like sometime around 89/90?) came with Seiko Seiki or Denso compressors.

Comment

Working...
          X