The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the upper one is parallel flow.

The round tubes at each end feed each finned tube crossing the condenser... in parallel.

The black one is "long coil" style and you can trace only one or maybe two very long flow paths through the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
      Hi R3V, long time no see!

Hmmmmm I get mentions by my username and get emails now? Weird. Yes photobucket is trash, but also there weren’t a whole lot of options back then. I have over 3000 photos hosted with the jerks and that would literally take weeks to sort out. Let me see if I can rehost the photos for this thread on my personal site.
      Totally get it photobucket definitely trash of highest proportion. If you have time to take a look, it’s def appreciated. Honestly even the blurred pics up now are better than the no pic.

Comment

I apologize for the bad pictures. I need to replace or rebuild the compressor on my Touring. Does anyone know which of the E30 compressors is pictured below?

Thanks, Cory

AC Compressor 1 by cory58f5, on Flickr
        AC Compressor 2 by cory58f5, on Flickr
        1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

It's a pain, but I have been re-sizing pics and uploading directly here for photos I would like to see last.

Where you been mang? glucklich21
          Oh just being a miscellaneous adult now. I hope things have been well for you!

I sold the car I used to make the write up back in 2017 on BaT. I still have my S50 cabrio, but it lives in storage these days. If we end up buying a house this year as planned I will bring it home and maybe actually finish her (10 years of project hell).

I did upgrade my Photobucket account tonight so my pics will be back up soon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7517.JPG
Views:	695
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	9911350
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post

I did upgrade my Photobucket account tonight so my pics will be back up soon!

Name:	IMG_7517.JPG
Views:	695
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	9911350
            Thank you!

Comment

1990 325ix that had a previous janky 134 conversion, blown compressor, bum fan, cut belt.

I amassed parts for a while and after having them around for a few months I finally pulled the trigger on this job. R&R’d almost everything in the A/C system including all hoses, condenser, gaskets, compressor, E fan and filled the system with redtek R12a. Also took the time to clean up a bunch of rust lurking on my front end and old wiring while it was all apart. Hell of a job but it is blowing cold for the first time since i’ve owned it and the front end is super clean!

Only thing I’ll add is that, my car had already been converted to R134 and came with a (beat up) sanden700 compressor. I got the same compressor to replace it but the factory BMW tube from the expansion valve to the compressor didnt fit it. It comes from the factory size 10 to size 12 fitting on the 325ix at least but the sanden compressor is a size 10 to 10. Had to have w local shop do some custom work for me to get it up and running but seems to be working.

Also, for the sanden700 compressor bracket, you need an 840 length belt. Not the 810 or 825 you hear sometimes, 840 for the sanden bracket (ask how i know).

This was my first time doing AC work and this thread was incredibly helpful. I dont think I could have done it without this info. Really appreciate this being here. I’ll try to post some pictures when I have a chance (r3v has a 2mb file limit and my phone pics are larger).

Comment

I converted my ac to 134a a couple of years ago by installing a shraeder valve adapter on the low pressure line that goes from the compressor through the firewall and eventually to the evaporator. It was never very cold (45 degrees) and the refrigerant leaks out such that it needs replenishment every few months. I bought a sniffer, but i don't see any specific leak point.

I plan of replacing most of the system, I bought a new parallel flow Nissens condenser, a Behr receiver/drier, new ac lines that have R134a compatible rubber (from BMW except #7 (64538391047) the hose between the drier and evaporator, which is NLA, which I found after-market in Germany), and a new r134a expansion valve and new evaporator. I plan on having the compressor rebuilt with r134a compatible seals (it is the original compressor, model 10p15e from Denso, and new ones are NLA).

My question is regarding the hard line high pressure line, 64531381740 (#5 on the OEM drawing), from the drier through the firewall and then to evaporator via #7 and the expansion valve. The R12 version of #5 (64531381740) is still available but has a very short R12 service access valve. The hood hinge passes very close to this fitting. If an R12 to R134a valve adaptor (such as 64118363260) was added, it might not clear the hood hinge mechanism.

The R134a compatible #5 BMW hard line that supercedes 64531381740 is 64538391040, which is listed for the 1990-92 convertibles only, and has a long extension where the high pressure R134a valve is located.

So, should I get a new 64531381740, knowing the R12 valve is not compatible with R134a gauges, or get 64538391040 and hope for the best? I have added some pictures showing the differences between 64531381740 and 64538391040.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 2.56.56 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	378.8 KB ID:	9924500

Click image for larger version  Name:	417696_x800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.0 KB ID:	9924493 Click image for larger version  Name:	416644_x800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.6 KB ID:	9924495
                Last edited by ghrays; 05-10-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ghrays View Post
                  I converted my ac to 134a a couple of years ago by installing a shraeder valve adapter on the low pressure line that goes from the compressor through the firewall and eventually to the evaporator. It was never very cold (45 degrees) and the refrigerant leaks out such that it needs replenishment every few months. I bought a sniffer, but i don't see any specific leak point.

I plan of replacing most of the system, I bought a new parallel flow Nissens condenser, a Behr receiver/drier, new ac lines that have R134a compatible rubber (from BMW except #7 (64538391047) the hose between the drier and evaporator, which is NLA, which I found after-market in Germany), and a new r134a expansion valve and new evaporator. I plan on having the compressor rebuilt with r134a compatible seals (it is the original compressor, model 10p15e from Denso, and new ones are NLA).

My question is regarding the hard line high pressure line, 64531381740 (#5 on the OEM drawing), from the drier through the firewall and then to evaporator via #7 and the expansion valve. The R12 version of #5 (64531381740) is still available but has a very short R12 service access valve. The hood hinge passes very close to this fitting. If an R12 to R134a valve adaptor (such as 64118363260) was added, it might not clear the hood hinge mechanism.

The R134a compatible #5 BMW hard line that supercedes 64531381740 is 64538391040, which is listed for the 1990-92 convertibles only, and has a long extension where the high pressure R134a valve is located.

So, should I get a new 64531381740, knowing the R12 valve is not compatible with R134a gauges, or get 64538391040 and hope for the best? I have added some pictures showing the differences between 64531381740 and 64538391040.
                  Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 2.56.56 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	378.8 KB ID:	9924500

Click image for larger version Name:	417696_x800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.0 KB ID:	9924493 Click image for larger version Name:	416644_x800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.6 KB ID:	9924495
                  BMW offers the R134a adaptor valves that sit directly on top of the R12 valves, they are short and fit under the hood without any modifications:

64-11-8-363-259

Name:	image_304817_big.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	9924631

64-11-8-363-260

Name:	image_304813_big.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	9924632

I got some ebay version of the 259 valve, fits without any problems, and i picked up the 260 valve from BMW dealership since i tried fitting numerous valves and they were all too tall to fit (always interfered with the hood arm).

I am uncertain if they are still available.

Comment

Hoffbrohaus and ghrays is the Nissens AC condenser a good fit? The ADPI is back ordered. I have all other parts lined up. I am planning to order the Nissens, but just want to be sure it's a parallel flow condenser (looks to be from the pictures). I've had good experience with Nissens radiators in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by doglegleft View Post
                      Hoffbrohaus and ghrays is the Nissens AC condenser a good fit? The ADPI is back ordered. I have all other parts lined up. I am planning to order the Nissens, but just want to be sure it's a parallel flow condenser (looks to be from the pictures). I've had good experience with Nissens radiators in the past.
                      I just finally looked at the Nissens condenser, model #94172 that I got from RMEuropean. Unfortunately, one of the three brackets that hold the aux fan to the condenser is upside down, backwards and in the wrong place. I am trying to return it as moving that bracket would be a pain (it is riveted on). It does appear to be a parallel flow design.

Here are pictures both from RMEuropean's website and the next is a picture of the condenser they sent me, you can see the bracket in the lower right on the unit they sent me should instead, be on the lower left as you face the unit.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_151314.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.6 KB ID:	9925568
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	condenser.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	9925567

Comment

Originally posted by ghrays View Post

I just finally looked at the Nissens condenser, model #94172 that I got from RMEuropean. Unfortunately, one of the three brackets that hold the aux fan to the condenser is upside down, backwards and in the wrong place. I am trying to return it as moving that bracket would be a pain (it is riveted on). It does appear to be a parallel flow design.

Here are pictures both from RMEuropean's website and the next is a picture of the condenser they sent me, you can see the bracket in the lower right on the unit they sent me should instead, be on the lower left as you face the unit.
                        Click image for larger version Name:	image_151314.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.6 KB ID:	9925568
                        Click image for larger version Name:	condenser.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	9925567
                        I remember that, one of the brackets on mine was backwards but not upside down, i was able to bend it slightly and get the fan mounts on without any modifications.

Looks like they are making internal mistakes at the factory where they make this, since you and i experienced something odd with the mounting brackets. But yes it is parallel flow design, i believe the only manufacturer of PF "direct fit" new condensers for the E30, unless i missed someone.

Comment

Sorry guys just saw this. You are 100% correct. Was on backwards so I just unbolted and flipped. I have pictures somewhere I will post. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                          '90 325is

Comment

Ok so this is how it came, just unbolt the 2 nuts on each end, pull the metal rail off, flip it and reverse it :)

'90 325is

Comment

Originally posted by Hoffbrohaus View Post
                              Sorry guys just saw this. You are 100% correct. Was on backwards so I just unbolted and flipped. I have pictures somewhere I will post. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                              Mine was on backwards too!

Comment

I had a different brand PF but still had to rework the mounts for the Spal fan I used since they are all different. It was not a big deal
                                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                                Alice the Time Capsule
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                                X