200whp with stock N/A rotating assy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    Not many m20 enthusiasts are willing to pay $1 plus for proper headers. I have been sitting on my "180 degree" headers for 2yrs plus due to price.

On an inline 6 i can't see a way to get 180 degree headers?

Thanks for this build, really looking forward to seeing what gets accomplished.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      build specs?
      Ha this was my build.

885 Head - Ported & Polished
      Stock Valves
      Metric Mechanic Outer Valve Springs (good for 11,000rpm)
      Stock Inner Valve Springs
      272 Cam (Daily Driver... Wish I went a little more aggressive with the cam... Next time)
      HD Rockers
      19lb Injectors

ETA Block at 2.8L
      Custom Ross Racing Pistons 10:1 compression 1mm over bore
      ETA Crank
      Crank Scraper
      S52 Rods + ARP Connecting Hardware

Long tube headers
      Free flow custom 2.5in exhaust

Probably forgot a thing or two

Mild Motronic tune running 100octane to defeat detonation at WOT.

She's a lil riot, feel free to PM me with any questions.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=308139
      À la folie

Comment

Best to date on an all stock motor was 157whp header and exhaust only car. It has the Racing Dynamics headers, true merge collector in reverse to a Vibrant 2.5" resonator, back to true merge into a Billy Boat rear section, OEM induction, cam, rebuilt head, dyno tuned.
        Excaclty what i was looking for. Just to clarify it was tuned with motronic and an afm?

Comment

Yes, Motronic 1.3 and stock AFM.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by 6SPD View Post
            running 100octane to defeat detonation at WOT.

Shouldn't have detonation at WOT with premium fuel and a solid tune.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

Originally posted by 6SPD View Post
              Ha this was my build.

885 Head - Ported & Polished
              Stock Valves
              Metric Mechanic Outer Valve Springs (good for 11,000rpm)
              Stock Inner Valve Springs
              272 Cam (Daily Driver... Wish I went a little more aggressive with the cam... Next time)
              HD Rockers
              19lb Injectors

ETA Block at 2.8L
              Custom Ross Racing Pistons 10:1 compression 1mm over bore
              ETA Crank
              Crank Scraper
              S52 Rods + ARP Connecting Hardware

Long tube headers
              Free flow custom 2.5in exhaust

Probably forgot a thing or two

Mild Motronic tune running 100octane to defeat detonation at WOT.

She's a lil riot, feel free to PM me with any questions.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=308139
              thats the right cam for that spec motor you dont have enough compression to run much bigger without compromising the bottom end and midrange torque it will also feel less crisp and more doughy which is not good for a street car it gets tiresome pretty quick.

get rid of the entire stock intake (air filter asm, afm, tb, manifold) that is the restriction and the thing to do next if you want more
              Last edited by digger; 07-26-2014, 04:52 PM.
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Hey Guys
                perfect timing to transfer a bit of info from the sister thread at e3t

This is engine is almost identical to 6spd its 2.8 with comp cam and bit of head work etc. It made just under 200 with the stock manifold then with a wrongly matched set of itbs it made just over 200, But when he changed to correctly matched ITB's (my RHD ones) it went over 230 Hp!!

Need to point out this guy is not a close buddy with a workshop or anything we havnt even met he just called me asking how to get his m20 racer going better. He was skeptical at first so i offered to give him a full refund if my ITB's didnt make significant power gains and these are the graphs he sent me.

this is before with wrong ITB's

And this is with RHD itb's fitted and onverlay drawn on

More to the ACTUAL purpose of this thread we have also done a ~200rwKw (148.4rwKw) build with mild head upgrade to a very stock untouched low comp eta bottom end by using a 272 cam some 885 intake valves in a 731 head with a bit of porting, and set of my itbs.... so 200rwHp should be VERY doable with an 885 head and smart engine combo on an untouched bottom end etc.

sigpic

I sell ITB's and performance parts www.racehead.com.au

e21 race car m20 power! 293Whp atmo 2.9
                details here http://e21jps.webs.com

drive by video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdPbErYlho
                incar race http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbr0ZCmjsYM
                incar video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyvDR-B00A
                drag racing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XmznH6PND4

Comment

Sub'd for M20 awesomeness!

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

So extrudeabody is just as good as dbilas.....aka waste of money.

This should not be not surprising when the thing is sized for circa 400hp just like the dbilas one and the lengths appear too short with the extrudeabody kit just like it is with the dbilas.

There is only one kit worth spending money on if you want performance http://www.racehead.com.au/
                    Last edited by digger; 07-27-2014, 10:14 PM.
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

I don't believe it's the Extrudabody kit as much as it is the Rowland manifolds. Will try and get some pics later today. I have a set and they don't match the m20 head very well.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

You guys inspire me lol. Engine build now in the planning process for me.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

I don't believe it's the Extrudabody kit as much as it is the Rowland manifolds. Will try and get some pics later today. I have a set and they don't match the m20 head very well.
                          My testing (probably 5 or 6 separate visits the dyno for power runs testing two different manifolds and many different lengths and runner volumes) showed that runner diameter and length are why the RHD trumps the others across the rpm spectrum.

The manifold specifically the proper alignment angle and transition shape helps topend due to better overall inlet tract flow (this will show on the flow bench) but midrange is largely dictated by diameter and length.

If a 45mm throttle can sustain 400bhp on a 6cyl why would you use them on something well below 300hp? It doesn’t make sense on an engine that needs a broad power band.

The RHD setup trumped the EB setup across the board, you have to look at where the gains are in terms of rpm and what could cause them.
                          Last edited by digger; 07-28-2014, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Those are definitely impressive numbers on those ITBs!

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                              My testing (probably 5 or 6 separate visits the dyno for power runs testing two different manifolds and many different lengths and runner volumes) showed that runner diameter and length are why the RHD trumps the others across the rpm spectrum.

The manifold specifically the proper alignment angle and transition shape helps topend due to better overall inlet tract flow (this will show on the flow bench) but midrange is largely dictated by diameter and length.

If a 45mm throttle can sustain 400bhp on a 6cyl why would you use them on something well below 300hp? It doesn’t make sense on an engine that needs a broad power band.

The RHD setup trumped the EB setup across the board, you have to look at where the gains are in terms of rpm and what could cause them.
                              No argument besides the manifold (ie head to TB design) is at play here. Would your view change if the Jenvey setup made more? Not playing sides here, BUT, am a small independent shop in South Florida who really is testing stuff.

Rama, one day is fine, the next is black. Let's get 'er done. Would love to run your kit for no better reason than you are a gent like me.

Just put a locals' tune up, as mentioned, it is what it is. No hold barred. My job is to deliver to the client.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

No argument besides the manifold (ie head to TB design) is at play here. Would your view change if the Jenvey setup made more? Not playing sides here, BUT, am a small independent shop in South Florida who really is testing stuff.

Rama, one day is fine, the next is black. Let's get 'er done. Would love to run your kit for no better reason than you are a gent like me.

Just put a locals' tune up, as mentioned, it is what it is. No hold barred. My job is to deliver to the client.
                                i have no idea what the jenvey setup is, is it bigger manifold area, bigger throttles, longer overall runner length,..... and more of what exactly ? peak hp, peak tq, average torque?... depends what the goal is

The RHD kit used here is obviously not the maximum hp you can get nor maximum torque possible buts its a good compromise for a variety of spec engines from 2.5L to 3.1L as shown with the results.

Comment

Working...
                                X