Brake booster - Vacuum lines before and after TB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake booster - Vacuum lines before and after TB

Question about the booster vacuum line setup on my M20.

There appears to be a connection before and after the throttle body, through a Y splitter.

All booster systems I've had experience with only have a single line to vacuum, with a check valve.

Why is the E30 system designed this way?
    Attached Files

late model has a single hose with check valve from that lower hole, like:

I don't know why they previously used the setup you show, but in the late model cars, the top hole is not drilled through to the TB
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

My late model (11/88 ) had the two lines going to the TB. I converted to the E28 check valve (I think?) so I could run the einstein57 silicone boot.
      It's very straight forward to do. The new check valve is like $30, though.

Comment

My THEORY on this is that if the throttle sticks open and you pump the
        brakes repeatedly, you get no boost, and then die, because you're not
        smart enough to switch off.

So BMW designed this thingy to generate some boost at WOT so that you
        will die of other causes and not be able to sue them. Kinda like that thermostat
        they stuck on the heater core....

But it's just a theory. I tore mine off before I ever had a chance to test it.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I asked about this on my local BMW board, because I wanted to plug of that Y splitter shut to drop the idle RPMs on my old ass Jetronic m20 with shit thermostat ICV.

The answer was different ICVs - L shape vs T shape:

Has nothing to do with brake assistance, just allows some extra air to pass around throttle body to maintain correct idle RPMs with the corresponding ICV.

So I plugged it shut and there was no difference whatsoever except the dropped idle RPMs like I intended.
          Last edited by raudonis; 09-12-2014, 12:49 AM.
          My transaction feedback on r3vlimited :):Clickety click

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            My THEORY on this is that if the throttle sticks open and you pump the
            brakes repeatedly, you get no boost, and then die, because you're not
            smart enough to switch off.

So BMW designed this thingy to generate some boost at WOT so that you
            will die of other causes and not be able to sue them. Kinda like that thermostat
            they stuck on the heater core....

But it's just a theory. I tore mine off before I ever had a chance to test it.

t
            But at WOT the intake is at atmospheric pressure anyways. How would having access to air before and after the TB generate any more brake boost?

Originally posted by raudonis View Post
            I asked about this on my local BMW board, because I wanted to plug of that Y splitter shut to drop the idle RPMs on my old ass Jetronic m20 with shit thermostat ICV.

The answer was different ICVs - L shape vs T shape:

Has nothing to do with brake assistance, just allows some extra air to pass around throttle body to maintain correct idle RPMs with the corresponding ICV.

So I plugged it shut and there was no difference whatsoever except the dropped idle RPMs like I intended.
            Kind of like a bandaid for a poor ICV.
            Why would they go to the trouble of integrating it with the brake booster stuff though?

Comment

at WOT the intake is at atmospheric pressure anyways

Mostly. There is some pressure drop, though, enough to generate flow.

As to a controlled leak, there's already a bypass screw to do that...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

REVIVE! Any actual answers and not conjecture?

Comment

Conjecture is so much more interesting
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I stand by my conjecture.

The thing is a 'jet-sucking-pump' for the booster.

If I hadn't tossed it, I'd test it.

t
                    backing his own bs since oh, about 1971...

Comment

It's essentially a venturi pump. It takes the pressure differential between the intake hose and the intake manifold and uses it to drive what is essentially a small, weak vacuum pump as a secondary source of vacuum. It'll provide some vacuum for the brake booster when the manifold vacuum is not sufficient.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                        But at WOT the intake is at atmospheric pressure anyways. How would having access to air before and after the TB generate any more brake boost?

Venturi/ported vacuum sources are different. The angle provides vacuum as the air passes the opening when at an angle.

Originally posted by varg View Post
                        It's essentially a venturi pump. It takes the pressure differential between the intake hose and the intake manifold and uses it to drive what is essentially a small, weak vacuum pump as a secondary source of vacuum. It'll provide some vacuum for the brake booster when the manifold vacuum is not sufficient.

This.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I have no idea why they made it this way either. I tapped threads into my throttle body, plugged one hole with a grub screw, and put a 90 degree fitting in the other one with a straight through check valve to the booster. Switched to the other intake boot without the extra hole. No ill effects. No noticeable change, other than fixing the vacuum leaks from all the old cracked rubber and plastic bits I junked. Mine's an '89 iX, so I'm not sure it's a early/late model thing.

Comment

is the check valve between the throttle body and brake booster a must. Im trying to sort my new to me car out before winter and do not see a check valve there at all??

Comment

Originally posted by turbski View Post
                              is the check valve between the throttle body and brake booster a must. Im trying to sort my new to me car out before winter and do not see a check valve there at all??

Definitely need a check valve, I have never come across any car/make that didn't have one. The fitting that the hose attaches to at the booster might be the check valve in your case.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                              X