Ultimate N/A M20 racing engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate N/A M20 racing engine?

What are the realistic limits of an M20 ?

If you put 84mm crank, 12.5 cr pistons, H-beams, Rama roller cam kit, ITB's and proper headers... what can you expect about DIN-power from crank ? Anything like Euro S50B32 ? S54 level might be out of range ?

yes, you can make S50B32/S54B32 power....the most important part is the cylinder head modifications
    Last edited by digger; 03-30-2019, 03:12 AM.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      yes, you can make S50B32/S54B32 power....the most important part is the cylinder head modifications
      So that it means bigger valves and some experienced wizardry on porting?

I have a gut feeling that bone stock 885 could support max 300hp. They seem to give "theoretically 280hp amount of flow" on superflow scale which translates to about 10% more in real life in racing applications.

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen a bone stock 885 head do that.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

who would be the company to go to for a top notch head?
          1990 kashmir beige BMW e30 327i
          muggello rot BMW e36 M3 Gruppe A Euro
          1990 GP weiss Porsche 964 C2
          1997 schwarz II BMW e36 328iS supercharged

Comment

Originally posted by hasa View Post
            What are the realistic limits of an M20 ?

If you put 84mm crank, 12.5 cr pistons, H-beams, Rama roller cam kit, ITB's and proper headers... what can you expect about DIN-power from crank ? Anything like Euro S50B32 ? S54 level might be out of range ?

Just brows Rama's site, his m20 made something like 275whp. Knight did one with triple carbs that was around 300. I recently did a head for a 2.5 (not stroked) m20b25 with 288 Schrick cam, 12.5:1 and headers, made 208whp with the stock single throttle and manifold. I've also done a few ITB engines that are making well into the 200's non-roller cams.

Originally posted by FRODADDY View Post
            who would be the company to go to for a top notch head?
            Go with someone who has a flow bench at least.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

What about the bimmerheads?
              1990 kashmir beige BMW e30 327i
              muggello rot BMW e36 M3 Gruppe A Euro
              1990 GP weiss Porsche 964 C2
              1997 schwarz II BMW e36 328iS supercharged

Comment

Originally posted by hasa View Post
                So that it means bigger valves and some experienced wizardry on porting?

I have a gut feeling that bone stock 885 could support max 300hp. They seem to give "theoretically 280hp amount of flow" on superflow scale which translates to about 10% more in real life in racing applications.
                no around 260 bone stock, its not very good.

Originally posted by FRODADDY View Post
                What about the bimmerheads?
                i personally wouldnt go with anyone who offers generic ported heads, or stage 1,2, 1001 type heads if you want s54 power. you really need a custom job and they will ask alot of quesions so they can tailor the work accordingly to suit the kind of engine you want, in truth its going to costs a bomb and yes they will use a flow bench to develop the port shapes, make sure the air speeds are acceptable and give you a flow sheet at the end so you know atleast know there is potential for the engine to make more power than with the stock head. If the porter is really good you'll probably have to wait several months for the work as they'll be in high demand

even my MM rally ported head has all this grinding and smoothing done but it doesnt move any more air than a stock port at high lift so there are ported cylinder heads and well ported cylinder heads
                Last edited by digger; 03-31-2019, 12:45 AM.
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  Just browse Rama's site, his m20 made something like 275whp. Knight did one with triple carbs that was around 300. I recently did a head for a 2.5 (not stroked) m20b25 with 288 Schrick cam, 12.5:1 and headers, made 208whp with the stock single throttle and manifold. I've also done a few ITB engines that are making well into the 200's non-roller cams.

x2 ... all of this....
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

If I wanted big power from an m20, I would take it somewhere that has proven they can do it. As far as I know, Knight Engines in Aus are the only ones working M20 heads to that level, but you're sure as shit going to pay a premium for the service.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Call Korman BMW. They know a lot about it. Were very helpful for me during Das Beast build.

BMW Performance & Tuning Since 1978   RESTORATION   The types of restoration we perform include daily drivers, hot street cars, vintage...
                      "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
                      2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127
                        Bimmerheads.
                        i'm sorry, but no. for a top-notch head, the answer is Rebello.
                        past:
                        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                        1985 323i baur
                        current:
                        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Comment

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone comment on this Korman autoworks in the forum? They’re pretty close to me, just curious if they have a solid rep or not?
                            My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                            I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

They've been around for ages, no idea of their work these days. We used to have a member here who was the grandson of the owner, but I can't remember his name anymore (haven't seen him here for years).
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X