Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lighter stock flywheel weight with stock clutch combo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atmh View Post
    How difficult is driving with the flywheel that light?
    Drove my 7.5lb flywheel for a summer with the stock M20 clutch on an M52B28.
    The drivability is fantastic! Revs like a dream too.

(Temp gauge was not hooked up, VDO gauge was at operating temp for the video)

Just swapped on a SPEC Stage 3+ clutch this year, and let's just say the first test drive this past weekend was a challenge. Hopefully as the clutch breaks in things get easier.

Comment

i would simply get the stock/original SM flywheel lightened for a streetcar that will feature all the modcons and use the stock clutch.
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        i would simply get the stock/original SM flywheel lightened for a streetcar that will feature all the modcons and use the stock clutch.
        i'm just trying to determine a decent weight for one.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

Just go as light as possible with a machined single mass flywheel. That's what I did and I was disappointed with how little difference it made, even at 12.5lbs I barely noticed it.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

about 12-13 or so is the lightest most say they can be safely taken to, you will really only notice it in 1st gear and a bit in 2nd. I wouldn't get too hung up on it overall
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

I put an m20b20 single mass one on my m20b23 and i was really surprised how light the flywheel was given it is a 6clr etc. I wish i had of weighed it. compared to the b27 dual mass one i had in the shed it was like a feather.

Comment

late m20b20 SMFW are same as m20b25 about 8.5kg 18-19lb

Comment

ah there you go. i just looked them up on real oem and that seems to be correct. Just ignore my ramblings.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                    Just swapped on a SPEC Stage 3+ clutch this year, and let's just say the first test drive this past weekend was a challenge. Hopefully as the clutch breaks in things get easier.
                    Mine wouldn't fully disengage when it was new. The transmission came out twice. I figured the flywheel was just under the acceptable minimum height, but don't know for sure. The clutch broke in and became easily driveable with time. As for lightweight flywheels, I'm just hoping my twin disc turbo M50B30 doesn't want to stall with the AC on, that clutch setup is light.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 1-26

Comment

i pulled the trigger on the rhd flywheel. guess im running modified now lol
                      anyone know if new flywheel bolts are a requirement. i though they were tty but i could be mistaken. likely just order to be safe anyway..

edit : ordered a sachs clutch kit as well

gonna be shopping for a chip soon as well. lmk what the recommends are if anyone has any.
                      Last edited by 82eye; 08-10-2022, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Nice, I think you will enjoy the FW. Replace the bolts, it is best practice.

For a chip, I recommend Sssquid Tuning. They have just about the best off the shelf E30 tunes on the market. Tunes from them are full remaps, not just WOT tweaks or “+5deg to the whole ignition map” like many others.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                          Nice, I think you will enjoy the FW. Replace the bolts, it is best practice.

For a chip, I recommend Sssquid Tuning. They have just about the best off the shelf E30 tunes on the market. Tunes from them are full remaps, not just WOT tweaks or “+5deg to the whole ignition map” like many others.

lol i reached out to sssquid a few days ago and will be adding a 1.5 stage chip and injector combo. super impressed with the customer service at sssquid. also interested in their maf conversion, but that's likely a future consideration. i picked up some flywheel bolts as well from fcp.

Comment

Working...
                          X