Trouble with Cv Axle replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with Cv Axle replacement

Doing a Cv axle replacement on my 1985 325e (e30) with GKN axles I have the old axles out and I went to put the new axles in and they fit, after having to work them into the hub I’ve heard they are just able to slide in with some grease which I did and just need to tap it in with a rubber mallet, they finally go in far enough to get the rear hub nut on, but as soon as that happens and I start bolting up the axles to the differential or move the axle in further while I tightened the nut to pull it in more the axle some how locks and it won’t let spin the wheel hub like normal like it’s stuck some how, it’s hard to explain but I know this project isn’t hard but for some reason these are causing me some problems, anybody has any ideas that could help lmk. Axle on driver side is the problem side haven’t gotten to the right side just yet.

Do they look the same as the axles you pulled out?
    Dimensions are all the same of the splines and mating surfaces?

Comment

Your '85 car is likely non-ABS, and the GKN axles you got are probably ABS axles. I've *heard* that ABS axles will fit non-ABS trailing arms with the tone rings removed, but this has not been my experience.

I've only found success using non-ABS specific 84-85 axles in the 84-85 non-ABS trailing arms.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
        I've *heard* that ABS axles will fit non-ABS trailing arms with the tone rings removed, but this has not been my experience.

I've only found success using non-ABS specific 84-85 axles in the 84-85 non-ABS trailing arms.
        this has popped up lately a couple of places. i'm not sure if aftermarket is bothering to do the non abs axles anymore.

edit : a few have opted to rebuild the originals. it's messy, but still an option while there are kits. the kits are even getting scarce.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

this has popped up lately a couple of places. i'm not sure if aftermarket is bothering to do the non abs axles anymore.

edit : a few have opted to rebuild the originals. it's messy, but still an option while there are kits. the kits are even getting scarce.
          Can send them off for a rebuild for less than the price of new GKNs! Obviously more down time that way if OP daily drives his car.

Places I know of that can take care of it with ease:

Axles Unlimited in NC
          CVJ Axle in CO
          Indy Rack and Axle in IN

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
            Do they look the same as the axles you pulled out?
            Dimensions are all the same of the splines and mating surfaces?
            This is the old axle and the new axle maybe you guys have an idea if they are meant for abs cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate.E30 View Post

This is the old axle and the new axle maybe you guys have an idea if they are meant for abs cars.
              Yep, that’s a non-ABS car. So the problem I pointed out. I’d have your current axles rebuilt if you can.

Comment

they are not hard to rebuild yourself.

Comment

so I got the abs ring taken off and I put the axle back in the car got everything hooked up and it still doesn’t wanna spin but it stopped spinning after I started torquing down the rear hub nut don’t really get what the issue could be

Comment

85's also have smaller rear bearings. I swapped rear arms on my 85 323 to upgrade to the larger bearings and later axles.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by Nate.E30 View Post
                      so I got the abs ring taken off and I put the axle back in the car got everything hooked up and it still doesn’t wanna spin but it stopped spinning after I started torquing down the rear hub nut don’t really get what the issue could be
                      the answer is directly above. a quick part number check shows you have a different axle for your car. the axles you ordered are probably the wrong size. you need an earlier model axle, which may not be available. your options are, try to source the correct replacements, rebuild the originals, or upgrade to the later trailing arms, hubs and axles.

edit : i'm seeing a couple different choices. for an early e i'm seeing 33211226333 and 33211225891 as original with no abs ring, and 33211225892, as replacement with abs ring.
                      i see pelican has 5892. it's possible it would work with the abs ring removed if that is the issue.

which part number did you order ?
                      Last edited by 82eye; 12-09-2023, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Rebuild or repack/reboot? I have never seen parts available to actually rebuild them if they need it, having leaked the grease out and damaged the bearings for example, I have seen boot kits and that's it.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

Rebuild or repack/reboot? I have never seen parts available to actually rebuild them if they need it, having leaked the grease out and damaged the bearings for example, I have seen boot kits and that's it.
                          i think you're right, i don't see them anymore. fcp did have them at one point. summit and a few others still carry kits, but they are not mfgr specific.

edit : i do mean the rebuild with bearings. plenty of the times the bearings are fine but the cage is busted.

Comment

swapped rear arms
                            this. The early arms are hard/expensive to get parts for, and the parts are less sturdy...

t
                            would chuck it in a lathe and cut it down. Or open it up. whatever it takes. Boring head FTW!
                            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                            X