Z3 Steering Rack Year Range Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3 Steering Rack Year Range Question

Yes, I have read the 30000 pages on steering rack swaps.

I have but one question:

The online forum resources state that for a Z3 rack, you MUST use a 96-97 Z3 rack from a 1.9L, or they don't specify at all.

However, ALL listings outside of rackdoctor claim that the rack is the same from 96-02.

What is the difference between the Z3 racks? Are the other ones that aren't 96-97 1.9 completely different?

Should I just shut up and find one from a 96-97 1.9L? (yes)
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

All of the Z3 racks will fit an E30 (iX? I don't know). All will be an improvement. The linear one with 2.7 turns lock to lock is part number 32131092611, the one with (3.2?) turns lock to lock came on the Z3M. There may be another part number for the same 2.7 turn rack, but this is the one I have so it's the one I know for a fact, so look for a rack marked 1 092 611 like mine if you want that one. I also know that Realoem gives that part number under the listings for 2.8 and 3.0 Z3s. All mentions of non-M Z3s having racks with other ratios I've found in my travels are apocryphal. If someone could show something official, it would be welcome.
    Last edited by varg; 03-25-2017, 02:14 PM.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 1-26

Comment

Or you could just go with what rackdr says. Rich knows what he's talking about..
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
        Or you could just go with what rackdr says. Rich knows what he's talking about..
        +1
        The information online seems to be confusing.
        So I simply ordered a Z3 2.7 turn rack from rackdoctor.com.
        It came quickly and after a year of weekend/sunny day driving, it is all good.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
          All of the Z3 racks will fit an E30 (iX? I don't know). All will be an improvement. The linear one with 2.7 turns lock to lock is part number 32131092611, the one with (3.2?) turns lock to lock came on the Z3M. There may be another part number for the same 2.7 turn rack, but this is the one I have so it's the one I know for a fact, so look for a rack marked 1 092 611 like mine if you want that one. I also know that Realoem gives that part number under the listings for 2.8 and 3.0 Z3s. All mentions of non-M Z3s having racks with other ratios I've found in my travels are apocryphal. If someone could show something official, it would be welcome.
          Good info, I will verify that part number. Thanks man!

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          Originally posted by 17sd View Post
          +1
          The information online seems to be confusing.
          So I simply ordered a Z3 2.7 turn rack from rackdoctor.com.
          It came quickly and after a year of weekend/sunny day driving, it is all good.
          Agreed! I would love to, but don't have a core, so a $510 steering rack is out of the question for me. They go for ~$200 shipped for low milage examples online, I will just look for the 1 092 611 marking on the rack!

Thanks gentlemen.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            Good info, I will verify that part number. Thanks man!

Agreed! I would love to, but don't have a core, so a $510 steering rack is out of the question for me. They go for ~$200 shipped for low milage examples online, I will just look for the 1 092 611 marking on the rack!

Thanks gentlemen.
            Talk to him. Depending on supply and demand he has been known to be flexible on cores. Just be nice :)
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Rockauto used to have a new rack from AAE that eliminated the core charge. They had them for the 1.9l and others. I just looked and didn't see anything from rockauto anymore but I think partsgeek has it now.

I've had one for 3+ years now and it's been great.
              Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

Not all sellers deliver an actual z3 rack, so make sure you know how to identify one.

Comment

Just to update this thread some after not being satisfied with my original findings, the original part number associated with the Z3 rack that for sure has 2.7 linear turns lock to lock is 1 092 031. See the following post:

Originally posted by Q8y_drifter View Post
                  I bought a rack from the junkyard off of a random Z3 for $75. No idea which Z3 and which model year. It is an original BMW rack with goldish tubing and is 2.7L/L if not less (seemed to be closer to 2.5L/L, possibly it was just dirty at the inner stoppers). I haven't checked the travel but it is linear.

Here's the tag on the rack.

G28RP2B11
                  8J04B2M0143

HOWEVER, Varg's part number above is indeed also the correct number for a Z3 2.7 turn linear rack (1 092 611) because 1 092 031 was superseded by 1 092 611. The reman part number for the same 2.7 linear rack is 1095575.

ALSO, this rack is NOT specific to the 96-97 Z3s, as many other year non-m Z3s came with this rack, both 1.9 AND 2.8L.

Originally posted by karmatose View Post
                  FWIW, Mine came off a 1999 BMW Z3 2.5L (Build date 09/1998, VIN 4USCH9338XLG00304). The part number on the plate was 1 092 031. It was original, not remanufactured. ZF markings, silver in appearance.
                  Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
                  Z3 2.8 rack is the one you want.
                  Part Number ends in 031; that's generally what they are marketed as aswell: "Z3 031 rack". I'm willing to bet all 6-cylinder Z3s came with the 031 rack (minus the Z3M). 2.7 L/L; linear steering, tight turn radius: Amazing. Buddy just did his 031 aswell and absolutely loves it. His came off a 1998 3.0

I see more of the 031 racks coming of off 6-cylinder z3s, however, experience dictates that some 1.9s had them aswell. You will clear all confusion if you can verify the part number: All true-blue 2.7 L/L racks end in 031.
                  (031 is now superseded by 611)

So, do not go by model year and engine size. Rather, verify by part number. Hope this helps someone on their search!

Comment

I just read for about four hours and decided to resurrect this thread. I have a question relating to installing a non-M Z3 rack in a 1989 325i (non-airbag). Here she goes: Does the steering column universal joint have to be modified on this conversion like the non-Z3 E36 rack conversion? I have read conflicting information.
                    Last edited by packratbimmer; 12-29-2019, 11:27 AM. Reason: yes

Comment

Not sure if there is a more recent thread, but it sure seems like “2.7 turns lock to lock” is not the key metric, and surprised to see the actual important metric not mentioned: rack travel per turn.

Just about finished installing a seller-claimed “Z3 2.7 turns” rack. It’s the 031 part number. It’s definitely more like 3.0 to 3.2 turns lock to lock. But that’s not what matters: the rack travel per turn is what actually tells you the ratio, and mine is 50mm travel per turn of the steering wheel. From what I can find this is the ratio everyone wants. But mine is definitely not 2.7 turns lock to lock, which is fine by me, I should have a pretty good turning radius with this one!

EDIT:
                      okay, interesting development: the rack itself is indeed 3.2 turns, *before connecting inner tie rods*. Once everything was assembled, it’s 2.7 turns, meaning the tie rods are the stops I guess, stopping on the rack housing. Either way the 50mm/turn is the key number for steering rate, and I guess width of the rack housing for the turns lock-to-lock (and therefore turning radius).
                      Last edited by mikey.antonakakis; 06-12-2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey.antonakakis View Post
                        Not sure if there is a more recent thread, but it sure seems like “2.7 turns lock to lock” is not the key metric, and surprised to see the actual important metric not mentioned: rack travel per turn.

Just about finished installing a seller-claimed “Z3 2.7 turns” rack. It’s the 031 part number. It’s definitely more like 3.0 to 3.2 turns lock to lock. But that’s not what matters: the rack travel per turn is what actually tells you the ratio, and mine is 50mm travel per turn of the steering wheel. From what I can find this is the ratio everyone wants. But mine is definitely not 2.7 turns lock to lock, which is fine by me, I should have a pretty good turning radius with this one!

EDIT:
                        okay, interesting development: the rack itself is indeed 3.2 turns, *before connecting inner tie rods*. Once everything was assembled, it’s 2.7 turns, meaning the tie rods are the stops I guess, stopping on the rack housing. Either way the 50mm/turn is the key number for steering rate, and I guess width of the rack housing for the turns lock-to-lock (and therefore turning radius).
                        thanks for this clarification. I just got a z3 0611 rack and was disappointed when i turned it and it was around 3.2. I guess the tie rods are the stops ultimately making it 2.7

Comment

Working...
                        X