325 AC compressor conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325 AC compressor conversions

Putting this in general in the hopes that it gets traffic.

My Seiko Seiki AC Compressor has a leaking shaft seal, which I cannot find a replacement for, so it's time to figure out a replacement compressor and just improve my whole system with a parallel flow condenser and get new barrier hoses crimped on my old lines. It looks like the shop that rebuilds the Seiko Seikis, Discount Auto AC in Daytona, that so many have referenced here may be out of business, I won't know until Monday when I can call but the number just gives a busy signal today. Because of this I am probably going convert to a different compressor. Have any turbo guys done a conversion with the available brackets? The compressor absolutely cannot stick out further than stock since my turbo discharge goes between the frame rail and compressor, the available conversion brackets look like they stick out quite a bit. It also can't foul on the oil cooler.

It wouldn't be too difficult for me to make my own but pre-made would save me some time if they don't in reality place the compressor any further outboard than stock. Does anyone here know if their compressor sticks out further with any of the available conversion brackets? If not I need to get on buying a compressor and drawing up a new mount. I have seen some very small compressors on classic cars with aftermarket AC installations, probably Sandens from Vintage Air, and the prospect of a small compressor freeing up space for turbo piping is attractive.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

If you are going to rebuild your Seiko Seki then here is the parts list.

Santech MT2106 - shaft seal - can be ordered from your local auto parts store.

21-24807 / KT-SS148PBN - oring kit from Arizona Mobile Air

Comment

I've heard good things from a company called AC Solutions, they make conversion kits for E30's. https://www.acsolutions.co/collections/e30

Currently building a badass coffee table
      Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Wow nice

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
          I've heard good things from a company called AC Solutions, they make conversion kits for E30's. https://www.acsolutions.co/collections/e30
          +1 on AC Solutions. Put their kit on in May and got through a hot Houston summer with 40 degree outlet temps. Very good company to work with, happy customer!

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far. Seeing some of the seals are available has me on the fence but my AC compressor also makes some weird noises so I'm still leaning toward a conversion.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            - updated 3-17

Comment

I am a L.C. Wylie and Co fan because they did the hard work making the brackets initially bringing them to market. Then AC Solutuons copied them.

I try and support people who did the hard work to pave the way.

If you crimp your own hoses don’t use the aluminum hose ends. I and others have had them fail.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                I am a L.C. Wylie and Co fan because they did the hard work making the brackets initially bringing them to market. Then AC Solutuons copied them.

I try and support people who did the hard work to pave the way.

If you crimp your own hoses don’t use the aluminum hose ends. I and others have had them fail.
                Likewise, prefer to support the people that do the hard work for our benefit.
                I am using the LC Wylie bracket with a genuine sanden compressor, with R134 barrier hoses, TX valve, Parallel flow condenser etc.
                Works very well in Australian climate.

+1 on the steel hose ends

E30 320i vert
                But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

I made my own bracket, that wylie one looks good but it wasn't economical to get it to Aus - im too stingy. And my bracket cost me about 50$ and was a fun project. Mine really hugs the block possibly more so than oem, i think the wylie one probably puts the AC comp a bit further out. not that it really matters.

Heres a photo that I cant seem to embed.

Last edited by e30davie; 12-03-2023, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post

https://lcwylieco.bigcartel.com/
                    Looks like they're sold out. Are they still making them?
                    sigpic
                    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                      I made my own bracket, that wylie one looks good but it wasn't economical to get it to Aus - im too stingy. And my bracket cost me about 50$ and was a fun project. Mine really hugs the block possibly more so than oem, i think the wylie one probably puts the AC comp a bit further out. not that it really matters.

Heres a photo that I cant seem to embed.

This is pretty much what I was thinking of doing. With the existence of cheap CNC cutting services and my welder, I figure I could make something like that and have a nice tight fit with a newer compressor. Do you know how the diameter of that compressor compares to the OEM compressor?

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

Not really sure, but it was quite a bit smaller. and significantly lighter. Its also much shorter, the OEM one has quite a "nose" on it to reach the V-belt. so you end up mounting the sanden a bit further forward than the oem one.

I just bought these generic sanden brackets, I'm sure someone makes something similar in the USA, these brackets were like 60bucks aud. or yeah get something laser cut yourself.

Then I got a bit of 8mm steel, slapped it on the block and drilled 4 holes, then welded those brackets on in the right spot (to line up the V-belt).

sanden has all their dimensions on their website, heres the the one i used. (sd5h09)

Click image for larger version  Name:	AC e30.png Views:	0 Size:	117.1 KB ID:	10109857
                        Last edited by e30davie; 12-04-2023, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Looks like they're sold out. Are they still making them?
                          I would Email them .

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                          X