This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spanish pants View Post
    While the regular e30 has a cult following, it has always been overshadowed by the M3 and values reflect that. Prices will never reach M3 territory but it is nice to see them slowly creep up.
    I guess you could also look back to 10 years ago when some people couldn't get rid of E30 M3's for $18k...now some 'regular' E30's are hitting this range on BAT.

10 years from now we might see some E30's hitting the $40k - $60k mark like M3's are today. Who knows!
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by spanish pants View Post
      While the regular e30 has a cult following, it has always been overshadowed by the M3 and values reflect that. Prices will never reach M3 territory but it is nice to see them slowly creep up.

What do you mean by, "overshadowed?" Myself and many others find a 325i(s) more desirable than an M3

I wouldn't even say its a cult following, now hipsters want them because they're "old" and have a cool factor.

Also, of course the M3 is going to fetch a much prettier penny, because BMW made the street version to meet homolagation rules, so inherently, it's very appealing to collectors.

and I agree with Powling, back in the "day," what you were able to pick up an M3 for way LESS than what some swapped non-M cars have sold for. Recently, an '87 Mtech s50 car sold for 25k, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the M3 hit astronomical prices, that only big time collectors can afford (which certain cars today are going for) and non-M cars going for ~40k for a clean, original specimen.
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
        What do you mean by, "overshadowed?" Myself and many others find a 325i(s) more desirable than an M3

I wouldn't even say its a cult following, now hipsters want them because they're "old" and have a cool factor.

Also, of course the M3 is going to fetch a much prettier penny, because BMW made the street version to meet homolagation rules, so inherently, it's very appealing to collectors.

and I agree with Powling, back in the "day," what you were able to pick up an M3 for way LESS than what some swapped non-M cars have sold for. Recently, an '87 Mtech s50 car sold for 25k, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the M3 hit astronomical prices, that only big time collectors can afford (which certain cars today are going for) and non-M cars going for ~40k for a clean, original specimen.
        I 100% agree with you that prices on clean, well sorted e30's will only go up in the future (I always wonder what prices will be in 10,20,30 years). I've read on here a few people saying they think prices will soften over time.

Comment

It's cyclical.

It has to do with the age demo that is attracted to these cars and their disposable income.

Example, when I was younger, the Tri-Five Chevy's and other other certain 50's american Iron commanded top dollar and was THE collector/modifying car. This was because the people who remember them from their teen/young adult years where in 40-50 age group and were peaking in their spending power.

Fast forward to today, you barely ever see them bring big money at auction today, and most have been relegated to Classic car shows where you usually find them surrounded by Lawn chairs, blue hairs and stuffed full of plush toys for some reason. Because the Primary demo for those cars are now in the 70-80+ age group and are dying off/fixed income..etc.

The same will happen with most E30's. Right now, those of us who grew up in the 80's/90's are now crossing the 40-50 age group and entering our peak earning potential. So we are paying the most for any of the 80's/90's cars we lusted after or wanted or takes us back to those days. Eventually, we'll move out of that window and the next generations will have their day in the sun.

I don't kid myself that when my daughter gets old enough, I am sure she won't care or think dads old BMW cars are cool or worth anything, and will probably try to sell them off or donate them....
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I'm curious to see what the cost of keeping today's cars on the road will be in 30 years. They are unbelievably complex compared to a car that is 30 years old today and are filled with all sorts of computerized modules that are all on a CAN. Other than rare/exotic cars and cars that were never any good in the first place, it's cheap to keep pretty much any classic car running and driving.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
              It's cyclical.

It has to do with the age demo that is attracted to these cars and their disposable income.

Example, when I was younger, the Tri-Five Chevy's and other other certain 50's american Iron commanded top dollar and was THE collector/modifying car. This was because the people who remember them from their teen/young adult years where in 40-50 age group and were peaking in their spending power.

Fast forward to today, you barely ever see them bring big money at auction today, and most have been relegated to Classic car shows where you usually find them surrounded by Lawn chairs, blue hairs and stuffed full of plush toys for some reason. Because the Primary demo for those cars are now in the 70-80+ age group and are dying off/fixed income..etc.

The same will happen with most E30's. Right now, those of us who grew up in the 80's/90's are now crossing the 40-50 age group and entering our peak earning potential. So we are paying the most for any of the 80's/90's cars we lusted after or wanted or takes us back to those days. Eventually, we'll move out of that window and the next generations will have their day in the sun.

I don't kid myself that when my daughter gets old enough, I am sure she won't care or think dads old BMW cars are cool or worth anything, and will probably try to sell them off or donate them....
              This should be a sticky LOL.
              Great post.
              Bang on.
              Jimmy P.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
              92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
              98 318Ti Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                It's cyclical.

Solid post! I never thought about it from this angle. When do you think people will move on from the e30 and prices will decline?

Comment

I think its going to be a long time before they decline, or even level out. E30s have that timeless design. They looked great when the came out, they look better than most new cars out today and they're going to look great 20 years from now. e36s e46s e9xs and fwhatevers IMO do not capture that timeless design.

E30s seem like money pits today, but imagine trying to get an e9x sorted out 20 years from now. 20 years from now, I'd probably invest my money into a more simple car than one which will suck the life out of me chasing electrical problems, and replacing million dollar control modules.
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                    I think its going to be a long time before they decline, or even level out. E30s have that timeless design. They looked great when the came out, they look better than most new cars out today and they're going to look great 20 years from now. e36s e46s e9xs and fwhatevers IMO do not capture that timeless design.

E30s seem like money pits today, but imagine trying to get an e9x sorted out 20 years from now. 20 years from now, I'd probably invest my money into a more simple car than one which will suck the life out of me chasing electrical problems, and replacing million dollar control modules.

There are so many positives with the 80's and 90's era euro and JDM vehicles in comparison to the bloated 'safety enhanced' iphones manufactured today. Most modern designs with the least amount of crash test or pedestrian safety modifications allows for cleaner, less bloated lines, lower profiles and a overall vehicle 'lightness' that will never be replicated. Manual transmissions, the present era war on the manual will insure a steady appreciation as drivers seek out cars they can actually DRIVE. Less annoying unnecessary gadgets and electronic gimmicks. A car you can service and maintain yourself.

I think the whole era from about e9 to e39, but especially e30 to e39 represents an era that manufacturers can never go back to, or recreate. Attrition will lead to scarcity which will drive up prices. Its plain as day.

Comment

While I agree with the sentiment, this is the same thing people were saying in the 90's when about modern cars compared to classic 60's cars. When I bought my first car, a 1966 Mustang in 1988, I was saying the same things about fuel injection, airbags, catalytic converters, power windows, power steering; all the unnecessary shit that was bloating, complicating and destroying cars. Yeah my e90 was stupid complicated, but all the stuff that went wrong with that car is the same stuff that plagues most old e30s; crankshaft sensor, vanos (S52), etc.

Now personally, the 90's hit the perfect sweet spot for me. The E30 has the perfect combo of power, size, handling and driver engagement with enough modern conveniences that I can easily daily drive it. But I couldn't have even dreamed of messing with any sensors or ECU like an E30 has when I was wrenching on my Mustang back in the day.
                      Last edited by Mwishlist; 02-07-2018, 10:08 PM.
                      Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

In 1988 you were saying a single computer and a single airbag were complicated but a new car today has a half-dozen networked computers in it and nearly every single electronic component is itself an active device on a CAN instead of a switch with a couple of wires going to it. You've probably seen what can happen to the electronics in a 20 old BMW, now consider what's going to happen to the electronics in a new one in 20 years based on that. Go older and you know how every E30 has a broken OBC? What level of functionality will an F30's gadgets have when it is as old as a mid-production-run E30? Picture people trying to find working infotainment systems instead of OBCs. Heck E46s aren't even old yet and most of them seem to be running around with instrument cluster displays missing half of their pixels. Attrition will get worse with these more complicated cars, because they're going to be more expensive to fix and will wind up in the junkyard faster.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                          In 1988 you were saying a single computer and a single airbag were complicated but a new car today has a half-dozen networked computers in it and nearly every single electronic component is itself an active device on a CAN instead of a switch with a couple of wires going to it. You've probably seen what can happen to the electronics in a 20 old BMW, now consider what's going to happen to the electronics in a new one in 20 years based on that. Go older and you know how every E30 has a broken OBC? What level of functionality will an F30's gadgets have when it is as old as a mid-production-run E30? Picture people trying to find working infotainment systems instead of OBCs. Heck E46s aren't even old yet and most of them seem to be running around with instrument cluster displays missing half of their pixels. Attrition will get worse with these more complicated cars, because they're going to be more expensive to fix and will wind up in the junkyard faster.
                          Agreed 100%. Spot on.
                          My previous build (currently E30-less)
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

That's already happening. I've seen a few E31 and tons of E36/E46/E38/E39's in the yards. A good number of them had no body damage so they either had a blown engine/trans or the owner just didn't want to be nickeled and dimed to death. I work on my E39 so costs are minimal but to the average joe, I would have spent thousands on window regulators, smog devices (ie smog pump, diverter valve, evap equipment), broken headlights, cooling systems, etc. Just fixed a check engine code P0440 Evap caused by a gas cap not making a good seal. You can now get an E39 for less than a grand...some decent ones too. So these newer cars are definitely disposable as they integrate more electronic systems ie electric throttle, ebrake, etc etc. Shit that is electric for no reason.
                            Last edited by reelizmpro; 02-09-2018, 09:49 AM.
                            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Did you already talk about this one? A friend is interested.

Bid for the chance to own a S50-Powered 1991 BMW 318is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #8,055.

Comment

Its on the list. Whats on your mind? People didnt seem to like the interior. It doesnt really bother me. The 3.73 with the E36 trans is a wild combo... Needs a 3.46 MAX, and many prefer the 3.25
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X