Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The LS swap 318 and the last swapped E30 that just sold on BAT are the exact type of cars I was referring to when I posted what an outlier that Austin's former car is.

Two more examples of "good enough, its running" swaps. I would bet one of my M3s that every crimp is an insulated Autozone crimp, at least a few Scotchlock taps in there on both for good measure. Something doesnt fit, notch the body kind of mentality.

Done on either a shoestring of money or time or both. No attention to detail, just get it running so I can do a WOT run.
    Jimmy P.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
    92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
    98 318Ti Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

^This. It looks like it was done by an 18year old who got a free engine.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Indeed, such a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
          Why re shell it? It's not rusting to bits, the chassis isn't bent and the panels are not trashed, the body is fine. It's better to have a car that isn't perfect, you can enjoy it more without worrying about dents or scratches all of the time, and you can take it to the track and not worry about ruining a perfect car. Not every car has to be a show car.
          Sorry, should've made that more clear. I was specifically talking about buying it to put in my personal chassis that I've been working on for two years since I have everything how I want it minus motor. Buying as running package to save $$ on small bits and pieces that add up.

I agree- I don't think there's anything too wrong with that shell if it's a track car or something.

Just for poking fun, look how pitiful the passenger hood line is, in the indicated area of "moderate front end damage". Rust in the floor drains, fresh undercoating, etc.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that I need to start with/buy a chassis that's straight and clean, otherwise it's not worthy of a $10K engine swap (edit, $22K according to the ad), because at the end of the day I still won't be happy with it (unless a 'bruised' chassis is your expectation in the beginning). A nicer shell would've been what, another $1-2K?

Edit: it's also for sale by a dealer. I wonder how the dealer got their hands on it.

Cary Imports is a car dealer in Cary, NC 27513
          Last edited by AWDBOB; 02-10-2018, 03:10 PM.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
            ^This. It looks like it was done by an 18year old who got a free engine.
            I see what you're saying, but if it were an 18 y/o who got a free engine you would not see things like:

$6K sikky kit
            $1K hyroboost kit
            $2K full ground control kit
            $2500 wilwood brake kit

Seems like someone dumped a ton of money into a chassis that was far too mediocre for the coin invested, and then realized how much more $ it was going to take to make it how they wanted (body, interior, etc) and just said screw it.

I do agree though, general craftsmanship seems very low.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              I see what you're saying, but if it were an 18 y/o who got a free engine you would not see things like:

$6K sikky kit
              $1K hyroboost kit
              $2K full ground control kit
              $2500 wilwood brake kit

Seems like someone dumped a ton of money into a chassis that was far too mediocre for the coin invested, and then realized how much more $ it was going to take to make it how they wanted (body, interior, etc) and just said screw it.

I do agree though, general craftsmanship seems very low.
              I don’t disagree with what you posted, but that build is complete shit. Orange silicone all over the diff, solid aluminum motor mounts on a subframe that appears unreinforced? Serious rust in the trunk, floor pans, and many other places. What the fuck is up with that radiator hose? The entire engine compartment looks like sweaty ass. I can’t believe this guy actually shows us photos of this. It’s an embarrassment to say the very least. Can you possibly imagine all the f’ed up crap with this car that we can’t see in h pics?
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                I don’t disagree with what you posted, but that build is complete shit. Orange silicone all over the diff, solid aluminum motor mounts on a subframe that appears unreinforced? Serious rust in the trunk, floor pans, and many other places. What the fuck is up with that radiator hose? The entire engine compartment looks like sweaty ass. I can’t believe this guy actually shows us photos of this. It’s an embarrassment to say the very least. Can you possibly imagine all the f’ed up crap with this car that we can’t see in h pics?
                Bahaha yep I was going over the pics thinking "how did someone spend so much money and then do such shit work". I really wonder what it'll bring in. If it's cheap enough I'll buy it and steal all the goods.

My favorite is this chunk out of the frame rail, for what I assume is tire clearance?

Comment

This LS1 swapped car has been on craigslist forever. I think the seller wanted like $22k than dropped it $15k.

Comment

The chunk missing is where the tie down hood used to reside.
                    Looks like instead of gracefully cutting it off they just smashed it off with a hammer.
                    Jimmy P.
                    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                    92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                    98 318Ti Morea Green
                    04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

To go a step further, it appears this guy started this project with intentions of doing it right. He did spend a load of cash on some expensive parts. I think about the time he dropped the engine in the chassis, the plan went awry. Perhaps it was simple lack of ability, but more likely, this was the time he decided to sell or one of a hundred other typical reasons why it was decided this wasn’t the project he anticipated.

I looked through the pics again in hopes of finding the slightest bit of evidence this is something other than what I mentioned above. Turns out it’s even worse! The front fenders are all fucked up from banging the tires.... I don’t remember anything in the text about heat, but it looks like the heater hose is u turned back into the block. Certainly would bet there is no a/c......intake has an interference fit against the radiator.....who wants to place a bet on which one fails first? I could probably make a list of 30 or 40 fucked up half assed issues that were crazy obvious. Rule of thumb says there are perhaps 3-4x more just waiting to surprise the next sucker-I mean owner.

I bet whoever wins this heap backs out on the deal. That is probably the worst e30 build I’ve seen
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                        Did you already talk about this one? A friend is interested.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-318is-28/

Anyone know if the seller of this car "rmontoni" is on r3v? He's in MD, but mentions that he works with an interiors guy in CA that specializes in E30s. Would like to get that contact.

Thanks, Cory

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        1992 325i Cabrio
                        1988 320i Touring
                        2000 M5
                        1977 530i
                        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                        BMWCCA
                        E30CCA

Comment

I feel like there is a lot of the sellers friends commenting on that swap now.

They keep saying that people are getting twisted about panel gap, which is trying to deflect from the real questions people are having on the quality of the swap. If the builder didn’t give a shit about something as simple as the front valance being all cockeyed, where else did he just say “good enough”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                          2016 Ford Flex
                          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                            Anyone know if the seller of this car "rmontoni" is on r3v? He's in MD, but mentions that he works with an interiors guy in CA that specializes in E30s. Would like to get that contact.

Thanks, Cory

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            I'd bet dollars to donuts it's Zoom Zooming.
                            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                            2016 Ford Flex
                            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

seller said E30 clusters are crap and thats why the tach doesnt work... sigh
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                seller said E30 clusters are crap and thats why the tach doesnt work... sigh
                                I'm really surprised BAT took this heap on as a sale. At the very least it should have been marketed as a 'project'.
                                Steve • Toronto
                                1991 318is • Brillantrot
                                Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X