Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z4 any good?

Total noober question -

Was the Z4 any good as a sportscar?....handling...agility? Or just a cruiser.

There were two generations? The first was the funky Chris Bangle shape, then it had a retractable roof? I'd rather have a roadster with a soft top really.

Then there's an M in there somewhere? I assume that was pretty quick?

Just wondering. Thanks -

No opinions on this thing? I only noticed because some of the older ones are down into the teens now.

Were they a real sports car, or a country club cruiser?

Comment

I wonder about the same thing. The reviews from non-BMW enthusiast drivers (country club drivers) seem to be good so far. I have to test drive one to see how I feel about it.

Comment

The second generation Z4 is a country cruiser, BMW ruined it and theres a reason the Z4 got the axe and the Z5 is replacing it. The first generation however is a different story, its a good chassis, but I feel BMW also kind of ruined it by introducing electric power steering on them. But they did get one thing right, and that was the BMW Z4 M Roadster. My dad has one and its arguably one of the best cars BMW made. He also has a e46 M3, but the Z4 M is just a little bit more fun. If you're a BMW enthusiast get a Z4 M.
        My Garage
        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I think the M version is the only one worth getting, though it could be argued that the 3.5s or whatever it is that has the N55 (N54??) twin turbo 6 is pretty damn good too. My biggest beef with the turbo6s is that they never offered a real diff in them, hopefully the ///M version actually has a real diff.

Plus they weigh too damn much for what they are. I dont think there is a single BMW made thats under 3200#. Crazy
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

My father-in-law has a 2004 3.0 Sport with a six speed manual. I love driving it! Plenty of power (second gear pulls quite hard) and the way it drives is so different from an E30, you sit so far back that driving feels totally different. The sport button is key, I won't drive it with it off.

I can't even imagine how much fun a Z4M would be.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
            Transaction feedback
            - jpod999

Comment

I personally like the Z4. I wouldn't consider it a sophisticated car in regards to handling. its more of a weapon that you throw around corners expecting to end up sideways. It will put a smile on your face and put decent times down at autox if that matters to you. And the M came with the S54, so yeah, it's fast, but also expensive and rare.
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                I think the M version is the only one worth getting, though it could be argued that the 3.5s or whatever it is that has the N55 (N54??) twin turbo 6 is pretty damn good too. My biggest beef with the turbo6s is that they never offered a real diff in them, hopefully the ///M version actually has a real diff.

Plus they weigh too damn much for what they are. I dont think there is a single BMW made thats under 3200#. Crazy
                The Z4 M does have an LSD, its a true M car though and through. Possibly one of the last driver oriented cars from BMW. Although 3,200 lbs is a lot for a sports car its quiet impressive when you factor in the S54 Z3 M Roadster was 3,100lbs.

Since we are talking about roadsters I'd highly recommend a Z3, but I'm a bit bias.
                My Garage
                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Also, I've driven both the first and second gen Z4s and the earlier is way more of a true enthusiasts car. The second gen one feels like the goal was comfort/luxury over a true drivers car experience.
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Sealed beams > true!

I guess I like the quirky looks of the early one, and the funky taillights. Nice it was still a sports car. M's must be way out of the picture budget-wise. Currently still in sketchy eta budget range!

Yeah, how does such a small car weigh 3200 lbs?!

Remember Clive Owen rodding around in one in The Hire films? That's what I remember it from.

pics for fun..
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw__z4_3_0i_individual_2005_1_lgw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	7188561

Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_4940-copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	7188562

Comment

I've driven a 3.5 z4 and it drove really nice and the power was great!! Its quiet and pleasant then you mash it and dayummm. Didn't really beat on it because it was the dealer's car going to auction but it seemed to handle well. Z4 M is probably crazy fun.
                      BMW tech
                      Umass Amherst
                      05 wrx sti

Comment

The wiki has some basics for my noobage....

The first-generation BMW Z4 was designated the E85 in roadster form and E86 in coupé form. It was designed by Danish BMW-designer Anders Warming. (I thought it was Bangle, huh.)

From 2003 the Z4 Roadster is available as a 3.0i (3.0 L I6 with 231 hp), a 3.0si available with the new generation 3.0 L I6 with 265 hp (198 kW), a 2.5si with a 2.5 I6 with 218 bhp (163 kW; 221 PS), a 2.2i with a straight-6 170 bhp (127 kW; 172 PS) engine, or a 2.0 L I4. The Z4 coupé is available only in the high-performance 3.0si trim. The Z4 (Roadster & Coupe) was built at the Greer plant.

An optional Sport Package
                        A Dynamic Driving Control console button was added that quickened throttle action and reduced power-steering assist.
                        A removable hardtop and a wind deflector were dealer-installed options.

The Sequential Manual Gearbox remained available on the 3.0i, it was dropped for the 2.5i.

More powerful engines, freshened styling, and midyear introduction of a hatchback coupe.
                        The 215-hp 3.0i replaces the 184-hp 2.5i as the base convertible.
                        The 255-hp 3.0si in convertible and coupe form.

Z4 M Roadster / Coupe - (Fall 2006)
                        The Z4 M is powered by a 3.2-litre straight-six engine (S54B32). Performance figures are: 343 horsepower (256 kW) at 7,900 rpm, 269 lb·ft (365 N·m) of torque at 4,900 rpm, 8,000 rpm redline. Power-to-weight ratio is 9.9 lb/bhp. Acceleration to 60 mph (96 km/h) comes in 4.8 seconds.

I don't know what happened in 07 and 08, but it says the bland one came out as a 2009.

The KBB tells me a 2004 3.0i with a 6 spd manual, sport package, and 80,000 miles is $7500 (private party) in "very good" condition and $8200 in "excellent" condition.

An '06 3.0si is $10,900 / $11,800 with 71,000 mi.

An '06 Z4 M is $19,000 / $21,000 with 54,000 mi.
                        Last edited by LateFan; 09-19-2016, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I find the pre facelift ones which you describe as having a funky bangle shape pretty hard to look at, not sure what year that facelift took place and the ones made after it aren't pretty either, though the new ones are alright.

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                          3,200 lbs is a lot for a sports car
                          What? Maybe if you judge everything by miata standards, but very few (if any) non-4cyl sports cars made in the last 20 years have weighed less than 3,000lbs

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                            I find the pre facelift ones which you describe as having a funky bangle shape pretty hard to look at, not sure what year that facelift took place and the ones made after it aren't pretty either, though the new ones are alright.
                            Pretty sums up how I feel too.. First gen are really awkward looking, second gen looks good and can haz N54, but on the downside, 3500lbs, no M.

I think the first gen have bolt-on quarter panels, which sounds very cool though...
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I like the fixed- roof version, myself...

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X