Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by djjerme View Post
    Someone had a SC on their e36 m42 around here. It wasnít a bad looking kit, but the numbers were not super impressive. Canít recall though if it was intercooled or not.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SC (probably DASC) on the M42/4 is neat, and sounds cool, but not a great solution for actual power. Turbo is a superior option, but you might as well just swap to an M50 considering the SC power output.

    Comment


      4 cylinders FTW (S42)

      https://youtu.be/fXUO4q92dQ4
      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

      Comment


        Forgot to reply about my experience with Honda engines. My mom had a CRV with a K24A engine that I had the pleasure of working on every now and then. I didn't care for the design decisions the Honda engineers made with that. The transverse layout made it annoyingly awkward to work on and the engine developed a VTC problem that was difficult to diagnose. I replaced the common parts that would most likely be the culprit (strainer & solenoid), but the next step in the diagnosis was to tear the engine apart and inspect the timing chain, which was mostly likely stretched. It appears to be a common issue with those engines. On a Honda forum I read about people who had to have their engine replaced at very low mileage due to a stretched timing chain.

        There were other things besides the engine that left a sour taste in my mouth such as a bearing that is pressed into the end cover of the transmission. It eventually spins freely and causes an awful squealing sound. It just doesn't seem like the quality is there with those cars. I think Honda reliability is nothing more than an urban legend.
        Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

        Comment


          Originally posted by varg View Post
          Bang for the buck? I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would go through all of the trouble of a V8 swap for an engine that makes <300hp, has next to no aftermarket, and limited NA performance potential.
          If had phrased it best "scoot her down the road to cost ratio" would that make you happy?

          I literally ment cost, to seat of the pants feel ratio. (although once you add in all the other stuff you need, it's not as cheap as a $500 motor/trans, but ya - what good swap is???? :)
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

          Comment


            Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
            Forgot to reply about my experience with Honda engines. My mom had a CRV with a K24A engine that I had the pleasure of working on every now and then. I didn't care for the design decisions the Honda engineers made with that. The transverse layout made it annoyingly awkward to work on and the engine developed a VTC problem that was difficult to diagnose. I replaced the common parts that would most likely be the culprit (strainer & solenoid), but the next step in the diagnosis was to tear the engine apart and inspect the timing chain, which was mostly likely stretched. It appears to be a common issue with those engines. On a Honda forum I read about people who had to have their engine replaced at very low mileage due to a stretched timing chain.

            There were other things besides the engine that left a sour taste in my mouth such as a bearing that is pressed into the end cover of the transmission. It eventually spins freely and causes an awful squealing sound. It just doesn't seem like the quality is there with those cars. I think Honda reliability is nothing more than an urban legend.
            That's a pretty bad one, and out of character for Honda, though in my estimation neglect probably played a part here. The K still has a good reputation and is better than an M42 by far. M42s were dying within warranty due to profile gaskets, there was a TSB on this issue. Multiple M42s are documented on the forums dying when the idler snapped off, imagine how many of the M42 cars in the junkyard over the years have been there because of that. Then there's the crank walk and the cracking heads.

            FWD sucks, especially to work on. Not an issue when you swap an F or K engine into an RWD car. Honda didn't go from selling a middling number of cars in the US to one of the best selling brands because of an "urban legend" though. People aren't putting honda engines in all kinds of cars because of an urban legend. I'm not out here saying they're good because I fell for something or own one of the cars, I hate most of them. There are only two Hondas I'd want to own at all; the original NSX or the S600/800 coupe.

            Originally posted by george graves View Post
            If had phrased it best "scoot her down the road to cost ratio" would that make you happy?

            I literally ment cost, to seat of the pants feel ratio. (although once you add in all the other stuff you need, it's not as cheap as a $500 motor/trans, but ya - what good swap is???? :)
            Ok, we can go with that. Yeah, it never comes down to a $500 motor/trans though. Especially when you're talking V8 swaps. It would be pretty dumb to just drop a $500 M60 in your car without first replacing all of the timing components and fixing the oil leaks, and those maintenance items just doubled the cost of the motor. Then there's the brake issue, and that comes down to more than money, sheer pain in the ass factor. The question is can you do an M60 swap without pulling a dumb stunt like having to replace the timing stuff with it in the car in a year for cheaper than a turbocharging an M20?
            @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
            [b u i l d]
            [Car of the month: April 2018]

            0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

            Comment


              ...I wouldn't kick an S2000 out of the garage either.
              1984 Alpina B6 2.8/1 #35
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              1991 Racecar (Chase Schmidt's former drift car - M30)
              2006 BMW X3
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

              Comment


                Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                ...I wouldn't kick an S2000 out of the garage either.
                If they were available as a coupe, I'd be with you. Great cars in many aspects. But convertibles are not my thing, so no S2000.
                @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
                [b u i l d]
                [Car of the month: April 2018]

                0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

                Comment


                  Yeah, I know why honda never made a real coupe s2k but dang, if they did there would be a whole lot more people trying to find them as play cars. Ive seen hard top covers but never in person, I wonder if that’s appealing? I guess it still wouldn’t be approved for use on a track though? I don’t really know the rules.
                  My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                  I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by varg View Post
                    If they were available as a coupe, I'd be with you. Great cars in many aspects. But convertibles are not my thing, so no S2000.
                    S2ks have OEM hardtops. Boom prob solved ;)
                    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by varg View Post
                      That's a pretty bad one, and out of character for Honda, though in my estimation neglect probably played a part here.
                      Possibly. One of the pitfalls of buying a used car. A lot of low-mileage engines that have been well maintained by the dealership have failed too as I previously stated.

                      Originally posted by varg View Post
                      M42s were dying within warranty due to profile gaskets, there was a TSB on this issue. Multiple M42s are documented on the forums dying when the idler snapped off, imagine how many of the M42 cars in the junkyard over the years have been there because of that. Then there's the crank walk and the cracking heads.
                      It appears the prematurely failing profile gasket was installed on engines made prior to 11/93. It looks like the idler/tensioner design was improved later on too.
                      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

                      Comment


                        M4x with ITBs sounds pretty sweet.

                        https://youtu.be/0nysqbIuXJY

                        https://youtu.be/cQyGOB_uwjk
                        Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by varg View Post
                          Bang for the buck? I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would go through all of the trouble of a V8 swap for an engine that makes <300hp, has next to no aftermarket, and limited NA performance potential.
                          Low end torque, sound, to be different. Do you want me to keep going? Not everyone wants to deal with the headache of FI for the shitty way that FI engines deliver power...

                          OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                          Transaction feedback
                          - jpod999

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                            Low end torque, sound, to be different. Do you want me to keep going? Not everyone wants to deal with the headache of FI for the shitty way that FI engines deliver power...
                            Sorry. Looks like I hit a nerve. LS is better in every way I'm not arguing for forced induction, just saying the bang for the buck argument doesn't seem to hold up too well. And well, if you're going through the mounds of trouble a V8 swap, you may as well put one in there that makes power.
                            @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
                            [b u i l d]
                            [Car of the month: April 2018]

                            0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

                            Comment


                              Just buy a Camaro - then you can grow a sweet mullet. and it'll probably cost less..
                              Build thread

                              Bimmerlabs

                              Comment


                                Yes, let the hate flow..
                                Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                                Q
                                :devil:


                                WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X