Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

obviously, the purpose of your comments is that you are on a tight budget.

judging by the condition you say the s52 is in, i would have to say that (no offense) it is a stupid investment. have you bothered to even price parts/machining/labor for an engine rebuild??????? the s52 is a parts engine. if you are seriously considering buying that to repair it, you might as well just give your bank account number to a nigerian scammer.

you would be so much better off paying more for a low mileage engine you don't need to rebuild.

as suggested above, buying an a nice m54 at a junkyard where they are plentiful for 250.00 will give you the same horsepower at a fraction of the price. there is no reason in the world to buy an s52 in any condition when you can buy a good running s54 for less than 300 bucks.

btw....i don't think running a g240 behind an m30 is a very wise choice either. what is the use of having the extra hp if you leave chunks of gears all over the pavement the first time you launch the heck out of the car?
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
      see above
      I've done more than my fair share of research and pricing (calling local machine shops etc) and all options are coming out pretty much the same at the end of the swap. The s52 had good compression numbers before being pulled, I haven't pulled the head yet (might do that this weekend) but all things considered, it probably just needs a valve lap and seals. Obviously that may change after I check things out.

An m54 would be great too, but as I said earlier, I'd be worried about failing BAR for not having the proper headers/cats for the engine, and I wouldn't want to just take a junkyard engine and plop it in my car without at least getting the head checked. I suppose I could pull the motor and do a compression check, or buy a motor that's been checked but then prices go way up when buying from a salvage yard vs pulling one from pick n pull.

An m30 in front of a g240 is a pretty risky decision, I agree. I've heard of plenty of people on here running it as a daily setup with no issues but I'd be on the hunt for a g265 (I think that's the correct p/n for it, correct me if I'm wrong) in the meantime.

Either way I go with the swap, the entire driveline and cooling system needs to be changed up which is where costs start to level out.

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post

you would be so much better off paying more for a low mileage engine you don't need to rebuild.
      this is the goal though, and I think I just need to be patient lol
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
        I've done more than my fair share of research and pricing (calling local machine shops etc) and all options are coming out pretty much the same at the end of the swap. The s52 had good compression numbers before being pulled, I haven't pulled the head yet (might do that this weekend) but all things considered, it probably just needs a valve lap and seals. Obviously that may change after I check things out.

An m54 would be great too, but as I said earlier, I'd be worried about failing BAR for not having the proper headers/cats for the engine, and I wouldn't want to just take a junkyard engine and plop it in my car without at least getting the head checked. I suppose I could pull the motor and do a compression check, or buy a motor that's been checked but then prices go way up when buying from a salvage yard vs pulling one from pick n pull.

An m30 in front of a g240 is a pretty risky decision, I agree. I've heard of plenty of people on here running it as a daily setup with no issues but I'd be on the hunt for a g265 (I think that's the correct p/n for it, correct me if I'm wrong) in the meantime.

Either way I go with the swap, the entire driveline and cooling system needs to be changed up which is where costs start to level out.

this is the goal though, and I think I just need to be patient lol
        I always thought the early G260 worked on the M30
        91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
        Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
        E30 can make you, E30 can break you
        "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Different bell housing bolt pattern between M20 vs M10/M30.

G240 was behind the M10 (can bolt to M30)
          G245 was used on the early M20 (installed in the 323i - I do believe these also had removable bell housing)
          G260 there was an M20 version and the M30 version. The later M30 version was ribbed for your pleasure (though that may have been the non-dogleg G265)
          G265 removable bellhousing which could be used behind everything as long as there was a bellhousing for it.
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

There's an M42 pattern G240 as well. Not sure how an M10/M30 pattern compares to an M20 pattern or M42 pattern, but I know the M20 G260 bolts to the M42 with a bit of an improper tilt.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              There's an M42 pattern G240 as well. Not sure how an M10/M30 pattern compares to an M20 pattern or M42 pattern, but I know the M20 G260 bolts to the M42 with a bit of an improper tilt.
              bolting a E30 G260 to a M42 is the same as bolting it to a M5x, it sits 10 deg off. If you bolt a ZF or a G250 from a M5x to a M20 it will also sit 10 deg off. Flywheels is even more complicated.
              91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Originally posted by Caperix View Post
                We had similar issues with my wife's Element. That engine started burning oil bad at highway speeds as well. The single vtec k24 in the CR-V & Element seem much more prone to these issues. As well a burned exhaust valves & transmission problems. It may be that these are more likely to be neglected, I think my wife's car was not treated well it's first 60k by a previous owner.

We sold it & got her the e30 325i. We are both much happier now.
                Good decision. We found Mom a E46 325xi Touring. She likes it much better. It's had some issues due to neglect by the previous owner, but at least they are fairly straightforward to resolve. Plus the wrecking yards are completely littered with E46s so parts are cheap and plentiful.
                Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

The only V8 I'd consider for an E30 would be the S65, but V8s are not fuel efficient and I don't need that much power myself so I wouldn't want it. IMO M30 belongs in a E32 or E24. Simple and reliable, but it's not fuel efficient and too big and heavy for an E30. Most people do a swap because they want more power, like I did before with S54. My E30 is a daily driver that I use for running errands around town, so if I swap an engine into it I want one that is inexpensive, fairly reliable, and provides better fuel economy. I would also want something more modern with OBD2. So an M44 fits the bill for me. I think it would be neat to have a high-spec 318is (with the 325is options).
                  Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

wworm will your friend sell me the s52?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                      The only V8 I'd consider for an E30 would be the S65, but V8s are not fuel efficient and I don't need that much power myself so I wouldn't want it. IMO M30 belongs in a E32 or E24. Simple and reliable, but it's not fuel efficient and too big and heavy for an E30. Most people do a swap because they want more power, like I did before with S54. My E30 is a daily driver that I use for running errands around town, so if I swap an engine into it I want one that is inexpensive, fairly reliable, and provides better fuel economy. I would also want something more modern with OBD2. So an M44 fits the bill for me. I think it would be neat to have a high-spec 318is (with the 325is options).
                      If your ok with being down on power and just want a fuel efficient car to zip around and have fun with a M44/M42 with bolt on's should do you good. Cant justify the cost building them when the M54 is a option. I've had my 318is for almost 2 years and Its perfect for around town. I'm sure a shaved 325i flywheel, exhaust, intake and tune would make it even more fun. anything past that seems financially foolish, but to each there own.
                      91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Worrying about lack of fuel efficiency and dumping $10,000 on a MM engine does not compute. It's not like you're going to any better gas mileage with a high strung I4 than you will with a stock M54B30, you certainly won't be getting stock 318is gas mileage with a 205hp M42 and an M54 swap's relative cost will take a very long time to make up with a couple extra MPG.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                          Worrying about lack of fuel efficiency and dumping $10,000 on a MM engine does not compute. It's not like you're going to any better gas mileage with a high strung I4 than you will with a stock M54B30, you certainly won't be getting stock 318is gas mileage with a 205hp M42 and an M54 swap's relative cost will take a very long time to make up with a couple extra MPG.
                          on the contrary my MM stroker got way better fuel economy than what it did stock b25 (atleast while cruising), but thats because the cam was specced that way unbeknown to me at the time and the upped CR really helps. they claim their ST is repsonsible for that and being able to run high compression on pump fuel buts its just the cam(s) they use. Their engines are no where near highly strung they also dont perform anywhere near as well as youd expect for the work they do.
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                            on the contrary my MM stroker got way better fuel economy than what it did stock b25 (atleast while cruising), but thats because the cam was specced that way unbeknown to me at the time and the upped CR really helps. they claim their ST is repsonsible for that and being able to run high compression on pump fuel buts its just the cam(s) they use. Their engines are no where near highly strung they also dont perform anywhere near as well as youd expect for the work they do.
                            Good info. How about some numbers? And how does that stock M20B25 you're comparing the MM build to compare to an M54B30? Crude 2 bank semi-sequential/part time batch fire fuel injection with limited trim capability vs arguably modern fully sequential fuel injection setup with VVT. E46s get better fuel economy than E30s, they're more aerodynamic but they're also heavier and have more rolling resistance, a few of the factors at play. However, I'm willing to bet an M54B30 swap with stock EMS beats a stock E30 325i in the fuel economy department hands down but someone out there probably can speak from experience on the numbers. If fuel economy is the deciding factor between a $10,000 M42 and an M54 swap which will cost what, half that? You're just not going to recoup that cost in a timely manner.
                            Last edited by varg; 07-27-2019, 08:51 AM.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            - updated 1-26

Comment

Sequential fuel injection doesn't make a big difference. A small one in efficiency, and none for power. I can switch mine on the fly between batch and sequential - you can't tell any difference in how the engine runs.

If you want fuel economy I'm not sure an E30 is the right vehicle, and the difference between the M54 and M20 is probably not as big as you'd think. But yeah, a $10k M42 build is probably not a great investment - other than doing it because you can and just enjoying the process.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                A small one in efficiency
                                And that's what is being discussed in my post... I am fully aware of the benefits, requirements and implications of sequential fuel injection, having been playing around with and tuning megasquirt systems that varied from basic MS1 in the 200Xs to MS3 and MS2 units addon injector and ignition sequencing boards.
                                Last edited by varg; 07-27-2019, 08:57 AM. Reason: clarifying since MS could also refer to Siemens MS

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                                X