No announcement yet.

Mighty Car Mods are doing an e30 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the LS series has become the most boring engine swap you could possibly do. What a let down. Just about any other motor would be more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
      I think the LS series has become the most boring engine swap you could possibly do. What a let down. Just about any other motor would be more interesting.
      I'd rather see an LS than an M6x.

Also, Russian rotary power, look it up. VAZ-311, 411, and others, have a laugh.

Comment

If you were watching for an "original" swap you're watching the wrong youtube channel. LS engines are objectively good, good is better than interesting unless you build your car for the approval of others.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
          If you were watching for an "original" swap you're watching the wrong youtube channel. LS engines are objectively good, good is better than interesting unless you build your car for the approval of others.
          Just saying I've seen more LS engines blow up at the track this year than SR20's. I think like all things if done right LS swaps are good. I am personally just not a fan. The internet is loving the K series swaps though
          -Dee
          5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
          IG: @deebelmont

Comment

If you were watching for an "original" swap you're watching the wrong youtube channel. M42 engines are objectively good, good is better than interesting unless you build your car for the approval of others.

Comment

cool to see them finally build a bmw. it was funny to watch them struggle at the engine removal phase. apparently e30s are less common in australian and its funny that they use an american v8. I think the right hand drive might complicate things with some engine swaps which is why they chose this. I am a bit disappointed by it too but oh well. I think it is funny that the 'builds' on these channels mostly involve prefabricated adapters and parts that they can put together in a day or two. The focus is more on getting views and pumping out video instead of actually building something which is why I appreciate channels like grind hard plumbing co and vice grip garage, pfi speed, or dylan mccool. heck even the fiero guy has some good videos (ronald finger).

At the end of the day it is entertaining to watch and neat that it is an e30 even if they spend thousands on the engine, thousands on the mounts and adapter, and thousands on the ecu/tune.
              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                cool to see them finally build a bmw. it was funny to watch them struggle at the engine removal phase. apparently e30s are less common in australian and its funny that they use an american v8. I think the right hand drive might complicate things with some engine swaps which is why they chose this. I am a bit disappointed by it too but oh well. I think it is funny that the 'builds' on these channels mostly involve prefabricated adapters and parts that they can put together in a day or two. The focus is more on getting views and pumping out video instead of actually building something which is why I appreciate channels like grind hard plumbing co and vice grip garage, pfi speed, or dylan mccool. heck even the fiero guy has some good videos (ronald finger).

At the end of the day it is entertaining to watch and neat that it is an e30 even if they spend thousands on the engine, thousands on the mounts and adapter, and thousands on the ecu/tune.
                MCM spin off the skid factory with turbo yoda is much more technical / custom and might strike your fancy. One of my favorite channels to tune into.

Comment

Unfortunately it is a promo car for some new call of duty game, so it appears they've gone all bogan james bond with it
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Maybe people will see how stupid this build is and NOT want E30s...
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I skimmed through the videos and it's a little half-assed but not terrible until the last video. Did they ever show or even mention what they did about the brake master cylinder? The rust at the frame rail and firewall joint is in a bad spot but the floor is no surprise. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of "rust free" E30s that change hands have that rust spot on the floor where the insulation is, especially those from wet climates like their japanese import. I found the diff swap interesting, I know all about the mount fatigue issues, and have seen the necessity for upgraded axles in some cases, but I have not seen medium case diffs being a failure point. Those were some odd dyno numbers too; 342whp but he said 700Nm of torque, that's 516lbft. 342whp/516lbft is an odd split for a "stock LS3", even if the torque was a corrected crank torque figure.

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
                      Just saying I've seen more LS engines blow up at the track this year than SR20's. I think like all things if done right LS swaps are good. I am personally just not a fan. The internet is loving the K series swaps though
                      Yep, not at all unexpected. There are more LS swaps than SR20 swaps, and there are more clapped out junkyard "LS" engines (in reality an LM or LQ truck engine with LS heads at the most) being beat on than junkyard SR20s being beat on. Not going to LS swap my E30; I'll just buy a C6 Z06, but I stand by my approval of LS engines as objectively good.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

^ I don't think their car is Japan spec because it's RHD. I think the diff swap is wack given the strength of a medium case, especially for the power they're making. Lack of booster info is weird also yeah.

Overall it still seems like a weird build for them.
                        I figured they'd hit up some random aussie company that did cool shit with E30s or engines - like RHD or something, but instead they just had a shop swap it? Maybe that's the same thing, but it doesn't feel like it
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

So far it feels like it's going to be a quick stunt and dump which is unfortunate. Time to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by onesecond View Post
                            So far it feels like it's going to be a quick stunt and dump which is unfortunate. Time to wait and see.
                            Yes, but they teased it months ago. So they might have a sponsor set up quite a ways in advance and then wait to make it happen. Clearly, we don't know the time frame for an actual project either as it's easy to shoot around.

Comment

I skimmed through the videos and it's a little half-assed but not terrible until the last video. Did they ever show or even mention what they did about the brake master cylinder? The rust at the frame rail and firewall joint is in a bad spot but the floor is no surprise. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of "rust free" E30s that change hands have that rust spot on the floor where the insulation is, especially those from wet climates like their japanese import. I found the diff swap interesting, I know all about the mount fatigue issues, and have seen the necessity for upgraded axles in some cases, but I have not seen medium case diffs being a failure point. Those were some odd dyno numbers too; 342whp but he said 700Nm of torque, that's 516lbft. 342whp/516lbft is an odd split for a "stock LS3", even if the torque was a corrected crank torque figure.

Yep, not at all unexpected. There are more LS swaps than SR20 swaps, and there are more clapped out junkyard "LS" engines (in reality an LM or LQ truck engine with LS heads at the most) being beat on than junkyard SR20s being beat on. Not going to LS swap my E30; I'll just buy a C6 Z06, but I stand by my approval of LS engines as objectively good.
                              pretty sure the rpm is axis is wrong which screws up the torque. it was peaking hp at 3300rpm lol or they were looking at roller torque and roller rpm
                              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

mad skids
                                My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X