1966 Lotus Elan FHC: The "Bought-not-Built" car

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MrBurgundy
    R3V Degenerate
    • Mar 2012
    • 5599

    #106
    Originally posted by max.rodriguezzz

    I dont think simon knows how to analyze numbers, nor can he hear. I think a shift light is probably his only option. Thank god he's not blind, otherwise he'd have to drive with a feeling stick out the window.
    it 'all falls apart for him after 3 or 4
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 1973 Porsche 914 // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP // 2024 Yamaha XSR700 // 2025 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X

    Comment

    • DEV0 E30
      R3V OG
      • Oct 2004
      • 8901

      #107
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy

      it 'all falls apart for him after 3 or 4
      Simon: There are four lights.
      Project: Touring | Project: Unknown | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

      Comment

      • LateFan
        R3V Elite
        • May 2013
        • 4415

        #108
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2033.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	10161307 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2040.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	10161306 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2041.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	10161305

        Simon, my buddy here just sold his ‘66 coupe to an eccentric buyer in rural BC. Transport driver was to drop it at the border station and the guy would come across the collect it.

        Funny to help push it out of a garage and onto a trailer - it weighs nothing.


        Makes an E30 look big.

        Comment

        • 2mAn
          Señior Mod
          • Aug 2010
          • 20992

          #109
          One of the final pieces of the puzzle revolving the Fuel System was the return line. I didnt want to make permeant changes to the fuel tank and I nearly found an 'off-the-shelf' solution from Moroso however it was actually a smaller OD than the Lotus, so a call to my favorite fabricator Kevan and he was able to make exactly what I needed for about the same cost.

          I'm a happy camper with this. Thanks Chilezen


          Once the hoses arrive, I can cross this off the list.


          Hoping to get the final wiring piece done this weekend because I am quickly approaching a very busy summer and at the tail end of the summer season is a trip up to the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion and I would love to take the Elan up there to stand out in a sea of Supercars...
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1966 Blue Boat
          -1969 Red VW
          -1986 White BMW
          -2006 Green Thing

          Make R3V Great Again -2020

          Comment

          • 2mAn
            Señior Mod
            • Aug 2010
            • 20992

            #110
            Only took another week to go from above to this...


            Hoping Kevan will come through again with a solution to my throttle cable situation.

            Stay tuned...
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1966 Blue Boat
            -1969 Red VW
            -1986 White BMW
            -2006 Green Thing

            Make R3V Great Again -2020

            Comment

            • Chilezen
              I weld cats
              • Dec 2013
              • 1941

              #111
              I both did and did not come through with a complete solution to the rabbit hole that is the throttle cable debacle.

              Why Simon why

              Currently building a badass coffee table
              Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

              Comment

              • 2mAn
                Señior Mod
                • Aug 2010
                • 20992

                #112
                Originally posted by Chilezen
                Why Simon why
                Lifes too short to have easy projects....

                or something like that
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1966 Blue Boat
                -1969 Red VW
                -1986 White BMW
                -2006 Green Thing

                Make R3V Great Again -2020

                Comment

                • max.rodriguezzz
                  Member
                  • Sep 2024
                  • 76

                  #113
                  Originally posted by 2mAn

                  Lifes too short to have easy projects....

                  or something like that
                  theres a certain joy that comes out of figuring out a solution for a situation you made more difficult for yourself, all while sharing your annoyance and frustrations with everyone else around you.

                  Comment

                  • MrBurgundy
                    R3V Degenerate
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 5599

                    #114
                    Originally posted by 2mAn

                    Lifes too short to have easy projects....

                    or something like that
                    life is to hard to make projects harder
                    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 1973 Porsche 914 // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP // 2024 Yamaha XSR700 // 2025 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X

                    Comment

                    • Northern
                      I like cupcakes & sh!tboxes
                      • Nov 2010
                      • 5282

                      #115
                      11 days without an update? Simon must've become bored and sold it
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

                      Comment

                      • 2mAn
                        Señior Mod
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 20992

                        #116
                        These next few weeks will have very little garage time, especially for this car... Everyone send Chilezen $treefiddy to inspire him to come up with a throttle cable solution. I showed him what I thought would work, but Im an old man who points and grunts... he's the youngbuck who has to do the actual hard work to come up with the sexy solutions... Once that throttle cable situation is figured out it should allow us to get the last few items crossed off the list so I can start working on the standalone configurations...
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1966 Blue Boat
                        -1969 Red VW
                        -1986 White BMW
                        -2006 Green Thing

                        Make R3V Great Again -2020

                        Comment

                        • Chilezen
                          I weld cats
                          • Dec 2013
                          • 1941

                          #117
                          I have an idea or two but it's hard to commit to anything when I live 2 hours away from this car and I can't really build/modify something remotely when I don't have measurements. I just keep rewatching these videos to formulate the solution.. which needs more time to cook.

                          The arm off the throttle linkage wants to be pulled down, but there's limited space under there to route the cable that comes up from the far corner. There needs to be a bracket to hold... the cable itself, or an assembly to rotate/transfer the direction of travel to a more accessible location for the cable. Having a plate on the throttle itself might work to redirect the motion. Re-configuring the pedal-to-cable assembly might help. Making it all reliable, simple, possibly adjustable, and cheap, are also heavy considerations. Just bending the cable into position might be all that's necessary and I'm overthinking it. But for sure there needs to be a bracket mounted under the throttle bodies and the video I took doesn't give me enough info. My mistake.

                          Ideas welcome.




                          Currently building a badass coffee table
                          Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

                          Comment

                          • varg
                            Florida Turbo Man
                            • May 2014
                            • 3425

                            #118
                            I'm not seeing the issue, what's wrong with that bellcrank linkage we saw earlier in the thread? It can't be adapted, running the throttle cable up and along the firewall, then turning 90° forward to go to the bellcrank? If the issue is getting the cable to take a 90° turn from the firewall to the existing linkage adjuster, a custom cable with a metal tube bend like you see on motorcycle throttle cables is the answer.

                            IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            '93 RX-7 FD3S, pretty and slow

                            Comment

                            • 2mAn
                              Señior Mod
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 20992

                              #119
                              Heres another pic of the Jenvey linkage, installed on the ITBs.



                              Sadly this sits too high and hits the hood, plus a few other issues so it was removed. As of right now, I am stuck with this piece of engineering and feel like it makes sense to find a way to use it as its a very well designed piece of engineering. So here are the two options my monkey brain is trying to find a solution with.
                              (1) Find a way to modify the linkage to sit lower and allow me to close the hood. Sounds simple, but it will require also modifying more items to fix the geometry that was designed into it.
                              (2) Find a way to mount the linkage in the footwell, to move the firewall pass through which currently goes into the engine bay Vertical and change it so its coming up Horizontal.

                              Heres a good head-on shot where you can see the cable and the old setup on the Webers

                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1966 Blue Boat
                              -1969 Red VW
                              -1986 White BMW
                              -2006 Green Thing

                              Make R3V Great Again -2020

                              Comment

                              • BlackbirdM3
                                R3VLimited
                                • Jan 2012
                                • 2772

                                #120
                                Why not just use the Weber setup? The throttle bodies are effectively Webers, so, shouldn't the linkage interchange? That said, I've never been a fan of Weber linkages on anything. The Alfa setup seems to be the cleanest, but its a factory setup. Anything aftermarket, is a mess.
                                '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                                '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                                '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                                '88 BMW M3

                                Comment

                                Working...