1966 Lotus Elan FHC: The "Bought-not-Built" car

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • McGyver
    Just need a paperclip & some duct tape
    • Jun 2009
    • 4637

    #76
    I vote that the car will be ready and driving, but the electronics will get possessed on the way to the show and make you miss it.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

    Comment

    • MrBurgundy
      R3V Degenerate
      • Mar 2012
      • 5599

      #77
      I vote he sells it entirely
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 1973 Porsche 914 // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP // 2024 Yamaha XSR700 // 2025 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X

      Comment

      • Northern
        I like cupcakes & sh!tboxes
        • Nov 2010
        • 5282

        #78
        100% will lose interest and sell it for something disgusting like a Mk5 VW


        Or worse, he loses interest in the Elan, but for some reason sells the e30.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

        Comment

        • 2mAn
          Señior Mod
          • Aug 2010
          • 20992

          #79
          Originally posted by Northern
          100% will lose interest and sell it for something disgusting like a Mk5 VW


          Or worse, he loses interest in the Elan, but for some reason sells the e30.
          I should just sell it all and buy a C63 and manual swap it...

          Anyways... IT. HAS. ARRIVED!.

          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1966 Blue Boat
          -1969 Red VW
          -1986 White BMW
          -2006 Green Thing

          Make R3V Great Again -2020

          Comment

          • 2mAn
            Señior Mod
            • Aug 2010
            • 20992

            #80
            Alright, cant tease ya much because progress is slow and its not looking good to have this completed by Queens English show in like 2 more weeks.










            Lots of little details to sort out and I want to have a clean engine bay post-conversion means I am moving slow.



            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1966 Blue Boat
            -1969 Red VW
            -1986 White BMW
            -2006 Green Thing

            Make R3V Great Again -2020

            Comment

            • MrBurgundy
              R3V Degenerate
              • Mar 2012
              • 5599

              #81
              u worked on the wrong car this weekend
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 1973 Porsche 914 // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP // 2024 Yamaha XSR700 // 2025 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X

              Comment

              • 2mAn
                Señior Mod
                • Aug 2010
                • 20992

                #82
                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                u worked on the wrong car this weekend
                I worked on ALL of the cars this weekend... my wife was NOT happy
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1966 Blue Boat
                -1969 Red VW
                -1986 White BMW
                -2006 Green Thing

                Make R3V Great Again -2020

                Comment

                • roguetoaster
                  Biggus Tippus
                  • Jan 2012
                  • 7830

                  #83
                  Originally posted by 2mAn

                  I worked on ALL of the cars this weekend... my wife was NOT happy
                  Just tell her that she needs to be a car and then you'll work on her all she wants.

                  It's a strange kink but it might work.

                  Comment

                  • MrBurgundy
                    R3V Degenerate
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 5599

                    #84
                    Just put your hands up and say "CAAAAAAAAALM DOWWWWWWN"

                    you'll have all the time in the world to work on yours cars after. I promise
                    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 1973 Porsche 914 // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP // 2024 Yamaha XSR700 // 2025 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X

                    Comment

                    • McGyver
                      Just need a paperclip & some duct tape
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 4637

                      #85
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Just put your hands up and say "CAAAAAAAAALM DOWWWWWWN"

                      you'll have all the time in the world to work on yours cars after. I promise
                      can verify, this works.


                      is it running yet?
                      sigpic
                      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

                      Comment

                      • 2mAn
                        Señior Mod
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 20992

                        #86
                        Starting to prepare the fuel system, still on the fence about the swirl pot as the fuel tank itself is already a baffled unit so not sure I need/ want to add the redundancy/ complication, but we’ll see…

                        For now, I wanted to wrap up some of the smaller, annoying items up front so I can be ‘officially’ done with the engine bay. Nearly there, still a few things to wrap up…

                        (1) Jenvey Heritage ITBs have a shorter mounting flange than Webers so the studs had to be removed, and the 5/16” holes were re-tapped to have some clean threads, the studs looked like they had some gray antiseize added a LONG time ago that was gumming up the threads. The #4 & #3 cylinders were a bit of bear to tap with their space so close to footwell/ pedal box area. Done!



                        (2) The throttle shaft for the Jenvey Heritage ITBs that was ~3-4mm too long and needed to be trimmed. I avoided this because I hate cutting up new parts, but it went relatively easy and is now done. Would’ve been easier if Jenvey had just provided the correct length threaded arm. Done!





                        (3) Finally, while I want to believe this distributor block off plate will stay in-situ I wanted to make sure there’s a hold down which will use the Original distributor hold down bolt. CAD model prepped. Not done yet...



                        Getting closer... one annoying small project at a time...
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1966 Blue Boat
                        -1969 Red VW
                        -1986 White BMW
                        -2006 Green Thing

                        Make R3V Great Again -2020

                        Comment

                        • BadDays
                          Advanced Member
                          • Dec 2024
                          • 181

                          #87
                          2M, that's beautiful to look at! Any progress with the wiring diagram from QED? I'm in the same boat as you with this AEM but trying to learn and make something that'll work with the Square C101.

                          Comment

                          • Chilezen
                            I weld cats
                            • Dec 2013
                            • 1941

                            #88
                            Originally posted by 2mAn

                            (3) Finally, while I want to believe this distributor block off plate will stay in-situ I wanted to make sure there’s a hold down which will use the Original distributor hold down bolt. CAD model prepped. Not done yet...
                            What is the material and thickness of that plate? I recommend minimum 1/8" steel. With only one tie down, it needs to be sturdy enough to hold pressure and its shape after countless heat cycles. Steel, so it has a similar thermal expansion rate as the cast block. Paint with high-temp paint.

                            Currently building a badass coffee table
                            Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

                            Comment

                            • varg
                              Florida Turbo Man
                              • May 2014
                              • 3425

                              #89
                              I'd make something with a plug on it and an o-ring groove and have it CNC machined by one of the services out there or 3D printed in metal instead of a simple block off plate. Should be easy enough and won't leak. Could even be two pieces, a plate with a countersunk hole and a plug that replicates the distributor housing diameter and bolts onto it.

                              IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              '93 RX-7 FD3S, pretty and slow

                              Comment

                              • 2mAn
                                Señior Mod
                                • Aug 2010
                                • 20992

                                #90
                                Bruh, Im trying to finish this car soon… it already has a block off plate but it’s just sitting in there, so this is meant to keep that plate in there.
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1966 Blue Boat
                                -1969 Red VW
                                -1986 White BMW
                                -2006 Green Thing

                                Make R3V Great Again -2020

                                Comment

                                Working...