1966 Lotus Elan FHC: The "Bought-not-Built" car

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • varg
    Florida Turbo Man
    • May 2014
    • 3425

    #121
    Ah, that makes sense. Why not run the cable forward then turn it in parallel to the intake runners? A new/modified throttle arm, and an adjuster bracket that bolts to the filter flanges which could probably even be flat cut sheet metal which isn't too hard to come by these days.

    IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    '93 RX-7 FD3S, pretty and slow

    Comment

    • Chilezen
      I weld cats
      • Dec 2013
      • 1941

      #122
      I told Simon I would send him a screenshot of the model but I can't remember why or what specifically of, so, here's the whole thing.

      I 3D printed the parts, and now he just has to install the prototype so see how it fits and operates. Then I can build the parts out of metal and he should be a happy camper.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-07-09 131357.png
Views:	225
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	10163838

      Currently building a badass coffee table
      Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

      Comment

      • 2mAn
        Señior Mod
        • Aug 2010
        • 20992

        #123
        Originally posted by Chilezen
        I 3D printed the parts, and now he just has to install the prototype so see how it fits and operates. Then I can build the parts out of metal and he should be a happy camper.
        Its only taken 10 days, but I finally installed the bracket. I still have to trim the threaded shaft, but that wont happen until next week sometime.





        If this doesnt quite make any sense yet, I challenged Kevan to take the throttle bracket that I purchased from Jenvey to make it a 'low-rise' version so that the hood could close. Obviously this was a TON of work to design within the constraints of the limited area. My hope is that his work can be repaid by myself and Jenvey to aid them in having a full "Elan" kit they can sell. We still have to get it fully functional, which requires me to get in the garage with some free time to trim that shaft down. Luckily, my anniversary has passed, my birthday has passed and the main extra curriculars (HPDE @ Sonoma & World Cup) have been passed also... A few more events in August so I have to try and get going on this before this becomes a winter project again...

        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1966 Blue Boat
        -1969 Red VW
        -1986 White BMW
        -2006 Green Thing

        Make R3V Great Again -2020

        Comment

        • 2mAn
          Señior Mod
          • Aug 2010
          • 20992

          #124
          Was having a great time this past weekend at Laguna Seca / Monterey for Car Week. I mostly hang out at the track but had a good time going to sneak into the Quail and RM Sothebys... Highlight was definitely this Lotus Elan 26R that was rippin, and took 2nd place in the group of nearly 40 cars!











          Also, saw this guy a few times...


          and this Europa had a silly asking price




          It got me excited to get back to work on my own Elan. V3 of the throttle was waiting for me so I promptly installed it, but still need to trim the threaded sleeve to test the throttle travel.




          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1966 Blue Boat
          -1969 Red VW
          -1986 White BMW
          -2006 Green Thing

          Make R3V Great Again -2020

          Comment

          • 2mAn
            Señior Mod
            • Aug 2010
            • 20992

            #125
            Using some fresh enthusiasm and taking advantage of a small window between work & family life, I snuck out into the garage and wanted to get the threaded shaft. I always hate cutting threaded shafts because I worry the threads will be ruined...


            Trimmed it and luckily have a longer shaft leftover just in case I trimmed it too much.


            Luckily the shorter one was good, and this is threaded all the way in, just in case I need to extend the shaft.


            This seemed to be good enough for Chilezen so we should have one in metal soon. All of this credit goes to him and I hope to get his product sold through Jenvey so they have a 'low rise' version next to their fancier bracket.

            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1966 Blue Boat
            -1969 Red VW
            -1986 White BMW
            -2006 Green Thing

            Make R3V Great Again -2020

            Comment

            • econti
              E30 Enthusiast
              • May 2014
              • 1151

              #126
              If you want to make it really easy to cut and keep the threads, wind a nut on before you cut, after its chopped just do a bevel with a grinder then wind the nut off and it'll re-make the threads. Work basically every time.
              sigpic

              (clicky on piccy to get to thread)

              Comment

              • 2mAn
                Señior Mod
                • Aug 2010
                • 20992

                #127
                Originally posted by econti
                If you want to make it really easy to cut and keep the threads, wind a nut on before you cut, after its chopped just do a bevel with a grinder then wind the nut off and it'll re-make the threads. Work basically every time.
                I'm aware of that (notice theres a nut on both halves), but I always get nervous
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1966 Blue Boat
                -1969 Red VW
                -1986 White BMW
                -2006 Green Thing

                Make R3V Great Again -2020

                Comment

                • 2mAn
                  Señior Mod
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 20992

                  #128
                  While the throttle bracket process crawls along, I wanted to get cracking on another side quest: the headlights. I love the quality and output of the Hella lights (not that I have driven this car... at night), but I have never loved the look. I was hoping I could make them look better but it looks like it wont, so I decided I would revert to a more 26R appropriate look. I initially thought they were 7" round lights but I actually did some searching and it looks like they are actually 5 3/4" and luckily I have one spare light that came off my E30.



                  Figured it was worth a shot, so I bought some headlight mounting pieces off Amazon, and installed the light into the mount.I think the chrome on the backing plate is a bit much, but overall I think Im on the right track.



                  Trying to get an idea of how the whole thing looks... getting this pic was a lot harder than you think haha

                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1966 Blue Boat
                  -1969 Red VW
                  -1986 White BMW
                  -2006 Green Thing

                  Make R3V Great Again -2020

                  Comment

                  • Panici
                    Moderator
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 2554

                    #129
                    Originally posted by 2mAn
                    I think the chrome on the backing plate is a bit much, but overall I think Im on the right track.

                    Trying to get an idea of how the whole thing looks... getting this pic was a lot harder than you think haha
                    Agreed on blacking out some of that chrome.

                    Haha I see those fingers in there! Were you under the car contorted to hold the lamp in place? Or did you superimpose two pics?

                    Comment

                    • Northern
                      I like cupcakes & sh!tboxes
                      • Nov 2010
                      • 5282

                      #130
                      Took me a while to notice the arm.
                      Throw some smileys in there
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

                      Comment

                      • 2mAn
                        Señior Mod
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 20992

                        #131
                        Originally posted by Northern
                        Took me a while to notice the arm.
                        Throw some smileys in there
                        I am actually strongly considering this!
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1966 Blue Boat
                        -1969 Red VW
                        -1986 White BMW
                        -2006 Green Thing

                        Make R3V Great Again -2020

                        Comment

                        • 2mAn
                          Señior Mod
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 20992

                          #132
                          Metal and zinc plated throttle bracket has arrived. Huge thank you to Chilezen for doing the hard work and delivering a bracket for me to install.

                          First trial run is looking very promising. Need to make sure I get full WOT actuation, but it looks like its time to get back to the electrical side of things...



                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1966 Blue Boat
                          -1969 Red VW
                          -1986 White BMW
                          -2006 Green Thing

                          Make R3V Great Again -2020

                          Comment

                          • Panici
                            Moderator
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 2554

                            #133
                            Custom!
                            Nice touch zinc plating. Looks right at home there.
                            Last edited by Panici; 10-01-2026, 04:32 AM.

                            Comment

                            • Chilezen
                              I weld cats
                              • Dec 2013
                              • 1941

                              #134
                              Originally posted by Panici
                              Custom!
                              Nice touch zinc plating. Looks right at home there.
                              Thanks for appreciating the details. That was more of a mission to get done than I anticipated. Learned a bit along the way too.

                              Now if only he would align those plastic tabs holding the cable... it's driving me mad

                              Currently building a badass coffee table
                              Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

                              Comment

                              • 2mAn
                                Señior Mod
                                • Aug 2010
                                • 20992

                                #135
                                Originally posted by Chilezen

                                Now if only he would align those plastic tabs holding the cable... it's driving me mad
                                I’ll do you one better, in the true Colin Chapman way, adding lightness
                                Last edited by 2mAn; 10-04-2026, 05:49 PM.
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1966 Blue Boat
                                -1969 Red VW
                                -1986 White BMW
                                -2006 Green Thing

                                Make R3V Great Again -2020

                                Comment

                                Working...