1966 Lotus Elan FHC: The "Bought-not-Built" car

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • varg
    Florida Turbo Man
    • May 2014
    • 3425

    #91
    Why get it running when you can fall prey to ambition and scope creep and never finish it?

    IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    '93 RX-7 FD3S, pretty and slow

    Comment

    • roguetoaster
      Biggus Tippus
      • Jan 2012
      • 7830

      #92
      Could just buy another project that's more exciting and even more expensive.

      Comment

      • 2mAn
        Señior Mod
        • Aug 2010
        • 20992

        #93
        Originally posted by roguetoaster
        Could just buy another project that's more exciting and even more expensive.
        Should I start a GoFundMe?
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1966 Blue Boat
        -1969 Red VW
        -1986 White BMW
        -2006 Green Thing

        Make R3V Great Again -2020

        Comment

        • roguetoaster
          Biggus Tippus
          • Jan 2012
          • 7830

          #94
          Originally posted by 2mAn

          Should I start a GoFundMe?
          I think onlyfans is more your speed.

          Comment

          • 2mAn
            Señior Mod
            • Aug 2010
            • 20992

            #95
            I owe you guys an update...

            Start with the sexy one. Intake with ITBs, (sh!tty/shiny) air filters and the backing plate all installed. Admire the beauty


            I’ll go into detail on this in the video, but basically I couldn’t do the original plan with the fuel system update/ upgrade. Something about 10# of stuff in a 5# bag… the white paper is the space I am trying to fit everything into. The fuel lines are likely to be quite short so I am hoping to find an alternative before I cut a 2” fuel line. Heres the mockup I finished up this past weekend.



            During the week, I put some work in and cut a panel to “hang” everything from. After visiting the AN fitting supplier with my requests he gave me the best solution that he said is available. The filter and pump situation required rotating the 90 fittings to squeeze some hose in there because there wasn’t a premade hose that would fit, and the pump to FPR got a 45 (or was it 30) to go over the FPR and back around. He said that two couldn’t be solid mounted together as they would be vibrating at different frequencies and something would break. I was a bit annoyed over the whole deal but moved and am happy with this result.



            I was missing one fitting (probably during all the fitting shuffling on the last visit) that I picked up today on my lunch break… getting closer … lets see what I get done this weekend

            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1966 Blue Boat
            -1969 Red VW
            -1986 White BMW
            -2006 Green Thing

            Make R3V Great Again -2020

            Comment

            • MrBurgundy
              R3V Degenerate
              • Mar 2012
              • 5599

              #96
              buy my 914
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 1973 Porsche 914 // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP // 2024 Yamaha XSR700 // 2025 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X

              Comment

              • 2mAn
                Señior Mod
                • Aug 2010
                • 20992

                #97
                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                buy my 914
                NO... I have considered getting a 914 though

                Calling it ‘done’ enough to wrap up the video. Check it out and LMK what you think. Only items left related to the fuel system is 3 minor items related to the fuel tank and the wiring. Didnt want to delay the video especially as Im at the one year mark of ownership… I cant believe it, but getting close to firing it up… probably not as close as my brain thinks, but its time to get back into the cockpit and finish up those last little projects.


                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1966 Blue Boat
                -1969 Red VW
                -1986 White BMW
                -2006 Green Thing

                Make R3V Great Again -2020

                Comment

                • 2mAn
                  Señior Mod
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 20992

                  #98
                  Got one thing done this weekend.

                  Fuel pump is wired up.


                  Cool. I guess.


                  Been trying to find a place to mount the shift light, but a LOT going on behind the scenes and the spot I had in mind has a large metal support bracket running right through that space...
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1966 Blue Boat
                  -1969 Red VW
                  -1986 White BMW
                  -2006 Green Thing

                  Make R3V Great Again -2020

                  Comment

                  • econti
                    E30 Enthusiast
                    • May 2014
                    • 1151

                    #99
                    Don't you just shift when it goes bam bam bam?
                    sigpic

                    (clicky on piccy to get to thread)

                    Comment

                    • MrBurgundy
                      R3V Degenerate
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 5599

                      #100
                      Originally posted by econti
                      Don't you just shift when it goes bam bam bam?
                      Yeah why when add a shift light when the car is already equipped w the shift sound
                      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 1973 Porsche 914 // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP // 2024 Yamaha XSR700 // 2025 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X

                      Comment

                      • max.rodriguezzz
                        Member
                        • Sep 2024
                        • 76

                        #101
                        Originally posted by MrBurgundy

                        Yeah why when add a shift light when the car is already equipped w the shift sound
                        I dont think simon knows how to analyze numbers, nor can he hear. I think a shift light is probably his only option. Thank god he's not blind, otherwise he'd have to drive with a feeling stick out the window.

                        Comment

                        • hasa
                          Grease Monkey
                          • May 2013
                          • 307

                          #102
                          That car has serious amount of fiberglass in it!

                          Comment

                          • 2mAn
                            Señior Mod
                            • Aug 2010
                            • 20992

                            #103
                            Originally posted by hasa
                            That car has serious amount of fiberglass in it!
                            A little, yea... theres this option if you want to be all "Lotus" about it...
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1966 Blue Boat
                            -1969 Red VW
                            -1986 White BMW
                            -2006 Green Thing

                            Make R3V Great Again -2020

                            Comment

                            • hasa
                              Grease Monkey
                              • May 2013
                              • 307

                              #104
                              This was stupid comment from me, I didn't know it is steel frame + fiberglass body car, like Corvette.

                              Comment

                              • uturn
                                E30 Enthusiast
                                • Dec 2010
                                • 1006

                                #105
                                Need to get one of those bullet lights and mount it on top of the dash. Go all JDM!
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	st532_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.5 KB ID:	10161010
                                Last edited by uturn; 05-12-2026, 11:21 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...