Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

I also cut out the sheet disk for the spare tire delete. Prepped and welded it in along with a cross bar for support.​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​ Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    ​​​​​​​so much room for activities!
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

I think you may be confusing my usage for it. Were you thinking I was straight up tapping the OE front spindle sleeve? I needed to chase threads in the front spindle coilover sleeves (that were welded on) after I unscrewed the shock cartridge and had some galled threads due to a bit of rust. I am runnign megan coilovers, and the front shock cartridge is 100% an M50x1.5 thread. Otherwise this wouldn't have worked :D
      Yup, exactly. Now it makes sense how you already ran the tap through. ;) When doing the GC style coils, I just run the tap in and cut the top off to avoid a butt weld on the strut tube.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Painted the double ear diff mount and spare tire delete. Upgraded my workbench with a 1/4" steel top (made it +3" larger in each direction to squeeze a bit more surface out of it). Realized I had 5 different cans of underbody spray, so I did a test to compare them all. Started fussing with the trailing arms again... passenger side requires a different style reinforcement to clear the fuel filler hose. I think I'm going to go back to my original idea of modding the TA to accept these slick ground control pivoting height adjusters since I haven't been able to find off the shelf components to convert my rear shocks to true coilover. And truth be told I really dont feel like pulling the rest of the trunk apart to do reinforcements etc etc. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
        Shadetree30

Comment

Interested to see how the articulating joints play out. I know our spring location is not ideal, but won't the articulating joints mean you have to use an even shorter spring (that will have less travel and more chance of coil bind)?

FWIW I haven't had any coil bind with 5" Eibach ERS springs in the rear.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
            Interested to see how the articulating joints play out. I know our spring location is not ideal, but won't the articulating joints mean you have to use an even shorter spring (that will have less travel and more chance of coil bind)?

FWIW I haven't had any coil bind with 5" Eibach ERS springs in the rear.
            Yes and no. If I were just to slap it on flat against the existing spring landing, I could use the same spring and have more or less the same travel (actually a bit less since the articulating cone ends up a bit taller than the tallest point of the standard coilover rear adjuster at my current ride height). With my old setup, I noticed marks on the tip of the top nylon spring pad cone indicating that the bottom adjuster had bumped it. I also see marks on the spring between 2-3 coils where they've contacted. What I plan to do is to actually recess the base of the articulating assembly about 1 inch into the trailing arm and then use a 1 inch longer spring. I think that should help me end up with an additional inch or so of travel and give me a bit of leeway to adjust up/down. Probably will end up adjusting up a bit because I'm planning on running a wheel/tire combo thats a bit shorter than current. Hopefully that explanation makes sense...
            Shadetree30

Comment

Committed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 06-24-2020, 06:38 AM.
              Shadetree30

Comment

dis gonna b gud

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                  dis gonna b gud
                  Oh god.... I got the popcorn smiley... trust me I thought the same thing to myself as I was man handling the hole saw
                  Shadetree30

Comment

solid work charlie. can't wait to see this thing in action again
                    sigpic

Comment

I recently hole sawed the trailing arms for airbag brackets on my trailer and was surprised at how much grease there was in there!
                      84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                      Manual swap all the things!

Comment

I can come over one of these days and give you more bad ideas, while enjoying my popcorn
                        Last edited by 2mAn; 06-25-2020, 10:13 AM.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                          solid work charlie. can't wait to see this thing in action again
                          thanks glen, me neither. We need to do an "OG supercar sunday drive + neptunes net" soon...

Originally posted by iansane View Post
                          I recently hole sawed the trailing arms for airbag brackets on my trailer and was surprised at how much grease there was in there!
                          Its nasty!! There's like a pound of it sludged in there!

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

I can come over one of these days and give you more bad ideas, while enjoying my popcorn
                          You know how much I love to make bad ideas come true to reality.
                          Shadetree30

Comment

Looking good. Havent yet determined final depth. Ill trim the extra metal off the top/bottom tubes once its welded in place. Sorry for the rotated photos. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                            Shadetree30

Comment

The more I see from builds like yours and guys that can weld, the more I know I need to just buy a house so I can get a good welding setup and learn to do this type of work. Looks great man
                              '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Wow Sh3rpak!ng, what a creative idea. Great job.
                                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X