Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
    So what's the deal with the guy that "won" the auction, then? He loses out when he thought he won a great deal?
    He was not expecting to not be outbid, and is well aware the price it sold for wasn't a reasonable conclusion. Me being banned from BaT was part of him getting his 5% buyers premium returned to him. All is well between us.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

I'm glad to hear this came out well in the end for all parties.

Agreed, a ban from BaT is hardly a concern. I "sold" one car on BaT (it did not meet reserve but the highest bidder and I reached an agreement) but will never again. Poor experience. I'd rather wait and sell it directly to someone where I can talk with them about it.

That being said, they have wonderful pictures of some wonderful cars.

1991 BMW 318is - AlpineWeiss II
      1991 BMW 318is - DiamondSchwartz
      1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Baikal
      2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 sport - Black

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
        I’ve been under a few Bat cars and most are just a bunch of lip stick. I can’t tell you how discussed I get when I see rubberized undercoating hiding stuff and silver paint on oil pans.
        Doesn't vapor honing remove anodizing over aluminum surfaces, and those aluminum surfaces will oxidize in a few years?
        Vapor honing was the reason aluminum surfaces in the car look very shiny. Anodized surfaces usually look dull.

Vapor hone systems use water with abrasive to form slurry that is used for the cleaning effect.

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post
          Yeah, really sucks that sell price. What a deal. Easily a 70k car.
          What makes it $20k more expensive than this 510-km iX?

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post

I'm assuming you're using the price of 48k euros including VAT, which is 65k USD, so not really a big price difference.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post

I'm assuming you're using the price of 48k euros including VAT, which is 65k USD, so not really a big price difference.
              If you want to import a $70,000 vehicle into the UK, I guess you have to add VAT too.
              If you want to buy a $70,000 vehicle from BaT ($3,500 fee) and register it in California($7,500 tax), it becomes a $80,000 vehicle.

If you want to import a £40,000 vehicle to California, it becomes a $60,000 vehicle after paying taxes.

Comment

Doesn't vapor honing remove anodizing over aluminum surfaces, and those aluminum surfaces will oxidize in a few years?
                Vapor honing was the reason aluminum surfaces in the car look very shiny. Anodized surfaces usually look dull.
                I'm not aware of any surfaces on the E30 that have anodized aluminum aside from the "chrome" window linings and bumpers (USDM spec)

Vapor honing is incredibly gentle, and wouldn't remove anodization anyway. The finish left by VH is oxidation resistant as it gentle shot peens the surface closed. Most of the aluminum on this car was processed years ago and still looks as good as the day it was done.

While I feel this conversation is rather... uh... irrelevant my answer would be desirability.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Glad to hear things worked out in the end! Your experience makes me hesitant to consider listing something on the site or buy something on it. Overall, it makes me think much less of the auction house.

Seems like another site dedicated to Porsche and allows other stuff when convenient!
                  -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Congrats - I'm happy to hear you were able to finalize a deal with an enthusiast that understands the value of the car.

I know more people that had a poor experience with BaT (including myself) rather than good. Unfortunately BaT is now more focused on the $$$ and flash rather than the model they grew into naturally....selling the business to Hearst did nothing positive.

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                      I know more people that had a poor experience with BaT (including myself) rather than good. Unfortunately BaT is now more focused on the $$$ and flash rather than the model they grew into naturally....selling the business to Hearst did nothing positive.
                      There are regular classic auctions. I think there is one in Arizona.
                      Why didn't you use them?

Comment

There are regular classic auctions. I think there is one in Arizona.
                        Why didn't you use them?
                        They dont have anywhere near the views, you may get lucky but they also usually are not that type that are wow'd by E30s.
                        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post

They dont have anywhere near the views, you may get lucky but they also usually are not that type that are wow'd by E30s.

Exactly. BaT has a far reaching presence that allows for a huge audience - which hopefully has a few enthusiasts that want what you are selling. The traditional auctions just don't have the ability to make that happen.

Comment

Aluminum surface can oxide over a few years dependent on climate and use, I usually recommend a treatment of boshielld T9 and repeat dependent of use.

In Kentucky, we get the worse of all seasons…

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

Exactly. BaT has a far reaching presence that allows for a huge audience - which hopefully has a few enthusiasts that want what you are selling. The traditional auctions just don't have the ability to make that happen.
                              But cars are sold sight-unseen on BaT. It means that everybody wants a low-mileage manual non-golden-color excellent-Carfax E30.

It's like a dating website. Everybody wants a 25-year-old tall rich blond.

Comment

But cars are sold sight-unseen on BaT. It means that everybody wants a low-mileage manual non-golden-color excellent-Carfax E30.

It's like a dating website. Everybody wants a 25-year-old tall rich blond.
                                Ha Ha - yep. The allure of BaT vs. Ebay or other similar sight-unseen auctions is that they "curate" the offerings. In reality this does nothing to protect the seller or buyer, has zero meaning for the quality of the car, and only improves the chances for a sale...on which they profit. It's quite brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                                X