Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
    What about a floor mount setup?
    I don't think I would like a floor mount setup to be honest, I feel like it would get in the way of my feet but I don't have experience with a floor mount so im not sure

Comment

Originally posted by hkv View Post
      I don't think I would like a floor mount setup to be honest, I feel like it would get in the way of my feet but I don't have experience with a floor mount so im not sure
      I bought a floor mount from Tilton, had to return I was too tall (6'1). So keep that in mind Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

tonight's project was completing the exhaust

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190914-014942.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	9869852

Name:	20190914-015000.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	9869853

Name:	20190914-015029.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	9869854

Name:	20190914-015044.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	9869856

Name:	20190914-015120.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	9869855

so with that, the entirety of the exhaust system is complete aside from the oxygen sensor bung and I am gonna put one more exhaust hanger on there but other than that its taken care of. center exit that unfortunately is offset ever so slightly to the passenger side. NBD, its still cool. full 3" 304ss with v band clamps, and ultra lightweight titanium muffler, yeah I dig it.

Comment

Originally posted by formyhealth View Post
          I bought a floor mount from Tilton, had to return I was too tall (6'1). So keep that in mind Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
          yeah exactly plus I keep imagining that it gets in the way of your feet when you actuate the pedals.

Comment

I decided agaisnt making my stainless 3" resonator a part of the system because its super heavy and it woulda been more work but if this thing is too loud i may cut the midpipe and install it, well see.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914-013519.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.0 KB ID:	9869864

Comment

I love seeing the center exit! I am in the process of finishing mine up now. Are you planning on building a diffuser? I am trying to plan mine around the exhaust placement now.

Comment

Do you plan on using the rear driver side door? If not, why not move the seat back and move everything else with it. You have already done so much other fabricating and it will probably be easier as well. Let me explain what I am talking about a little better so we are on the same page.

You would need to build another "firewall" out from the original one while leaving the original one there and closing it up. It would probably be easiest to get a donor "firewall" from a junk yard E30, that way all of the fixed mounting points would be where they need to be. The new "firewall" would be boxed out from the original 3 inches or more where you would mount the steering column. You would need to make a custom steering linkage and you could run your master cylinder or brake booster in the cabin. This might also allow you to keep your original pedal positions. Essentially this would shift the cockpit backwards however far you needed while keeping structural integrity.
                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
                  I love seeing the center exit! I am in the process of finishing mine up now. Are you planning on building a diffuser? I am trying to plan mine around the exhaust placement now.
                  yea I thought center exit would be cool! I have been considering a diffuser it is definitely something that I want to build and have be a part of the project but it is not a major priority so well see how it works out. I may decide to work on that if I want a break from a more difficult part of the project. I don't know too much about diffuser design though so I need to do some reading on it too.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                    Do you plan on using the rear driver side door? If not, why not move the seat back and move everything else with it. You have already done so much other fabricating and it will probably be easier as well. Let me explain what I am talking about a little better so we are on the same page.

You would need to build another "firewall" out from the original one while leaving the original one there and closing it up. It would probably be easiest to get a donor "firewall" from a junk yard E30, that way all of the fixed mounting points would be where they need to be. The new "firewall" would be boxed out from the original 3 inches or more where you would mount the steering column. You would need to make a custom steering linkage and you could run your master cylinder or brake booster in the cabin. This might also allow you to keep your original pedal positions. Essentially this would shift the cockpit backwards however far you needed while keeping structural integrity.
                    driver side rear door wont be used so that is a possibility to move everything back. you have an interesting idea of building a second firewall back into the car although with respect to that idea I don't believe my pedal situation is bad enough to justify such extensive modifications. my pedal situation is not ideal but it is not unacceptable either. if anything I would be interesting in lowering the steering column so that I could put a spacer on my steering wheel to bring the steering wheel out a few inches so that I can sit farther back and the pedals will be more comfortable.

I think that would be a good idea to lower the steering shaft and then put say a 2-4" spacer on the steering wheel and then move the seat back, shifter location would be fine and then my pedal location would be real good. any idea how hard it would be to lower the steering wheel so I can put a spacer on it? has anybody done that before?

Comment

To lower the steering column you just drill out the fracture bolts, add a desired spacer and bolt it back together with new hard ware. It is a very easy modification.

Comment

I found a video for you.

In this video I show how to remove BMW E30 Steering column bolts and How to lower your BMW E30 steering Column. Overall this is a simple mod that I've been w...

Comment

To lower the steering column you just drill out the fracture bolts, add a desired spacer and bolt it back together with new hard ware. It is a very easy modification.
                          ok dang that's awesome. I watched the video, I think that's what I should do. bring the steering wheel back and down. seat goes back and then my pedals will be in a good position.

Comment

drilling out those fracture bolts was kinda a pain but I got em out. you gotta drill slow because theyre pretty hard. making a spacer for the steering column I use my milling machine for convenience and to have the holes straight and square

Name:	20190915-005218.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	9870132

I drill out the steering column and the bracket to 3/8" so I can use fractional fasteners rather than metric fasteners because metric fasteners are a pain to get.

Name:	20190915-010247.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	9870133

so the steering wheel is much lower now I can get a steering wheel spacer and then move my seat in a good position and I think my shifter will be in a good spot and hopefully the pedals and everything will fit together for me real good. plus my racing seat will be much lower than the stock seat so this is a good thing to do definately. my seats probably gonna be way back butted up against the backseat but as long as everything works decent ergonomically i will be happy. unfornately i dont get my seats for a while but this means i can place the pedals and weld the pedal box brackets and do the firewall withought having to worry about issues.

Name:	20190915-010540.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	9870134

while im in here doing this I will reinforce the steering column bracket on the firewall.

thanks for the tip rzerob!

Comment

Originally posted by hkv View Post
                              thanks for the tip rzerob!
                              It is the least I can do for all of the entertainment you are providing me. I am really enjoying this build. Keep up the good work.

Comment

If you do a cage you could always mount the colum off the dash bar.

Now if you set all the way back would you be able to do floor mount pedals?

just an idea to battle deflection

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                                X