No announcement yet.

The Ecobeamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's pretty neat how early boost comes on with these twin scroll turbos on high-ish compression engines. Decent amount of headroom for tuning too it seems, man are the ecoboost mustangs slow stock, but it seems you could make one fast with just some tuning and bolt ons if you wanted to do such a thing.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

dyno looks like an m30.

Comment

How long will it last at those numbers?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
          It's pretty neat how early boost comes on with these twin scroll turbos on high-ish compression engines. Decent amount of headroom for tuning too it seems, man are the ecoboost mustangs slow stock, but it seems you could make one fast with just some tuning and bolt ons if you wanted to do such a thing.
          they are impressive motors, what really gets me is how you can run 87 octane on these turbocharged motors producing over a bar of boost. ive seen some naturally aspirated v8s with the same compression ratio as the ecoboost rated for 93/91 only. kinda crazy.

the neat thing about the ecoboost mustang compared to the gt is that they are much lighter and much better weight distribution

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
            hopefully pretty dang long, theres allot of ecoboost mustangs out there with bigger turbos with much higher hp numbers than mine that see allot of use as daily drivers, but the torque is pretty far up there.

im going to install a water injection system soon so I doubt ill ever have issues with knock but it is crazy torque.

the tuner set my afrs to 11.5 which is pretty safe anyways.

Comment

I guess with that much torque there must be allot of pressure in the combustion chamber. maybe its likely to blow the headgasket, that's something that happens with these sometimes

Comment

holy crap!! nice work and thats a helluva torque curve... patiently waiting for in car vids of acceleration and tire roasting :)
                '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                Shadetree30

Comment

Modern turbo engines are amazing things - great result! The ecoboost Mustang I test drove didn't feel laggy, pretty much like a 6 cylinder, and your dyno plot shows how low in the revs boost comes on with the ecoboost. Must be a hoot in a light e30!
                  My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                    holy crap!! nice work and thats a helluva torque curve... patiently waiting for in car vids of acceleration and tire roasting :)
                    Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                    Modern turbo engines are amazing things - great result! The ecoboost Mustang I test drove didn't feel laggy, pretty much like a 6 cylinder, and your dyno plot shows how low in the revs boost comes on with the ecoboost. Must be a hoot in a light e30!

yeah its pretty serious power honestly, when I open the motor up hard I have hard time even looking at gauges or anything because I get in the zone almost like tunnel vision because its doing so much work. im gonna get more videos and updates coming in gradually over time.

i love turbos they are cool, i test drove an ecoboost mustang too before i got working on the project and it was fun.

Comment

hkv Any more progress?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

hkv Any more progress?
                        Yes, i am approaching the end of "phase 2" of this project.

"phase 2" consists/ed of:
                        rollbar install
                        conversion to z4 rack
                        conversion from trucker dash to racepak digital dash
                        conversion from poly mounts to solid motor mounts
                        shortening of oil pan as that was sorely needed
                        slr wide angle kit installation
                        widebody installation
                        conversion from oem steering setup to custom setup with quick detach steering wheel
                        installation of a hydro e brake
                        installation of ford performance camshafts as well as vacuum pump delete to the 2.3l ecoboost
                        removal of fuel cell firewall and replacement with different firewall
                        flat underbody for aero and big diffuser fabrication
                        sunroof delete panel
                        lexan rear windshield and rear windows
                        probably other stuff ive forgotten

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200518-213914.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	9960917

Name:	20200519-115955.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	9960918

Name:	20200903-100133.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	9960919

Name:	20200903-100137.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	9960920

Comment

im surprised because i dont have as many pics as i expected, but i will get what pics i need in the shop to show what ive done if i need them. i will be documenting what i did when i can.

the car was stripped to a bare frame again and repainted. i forgot to mention that, that i repainted it. i want to make the car more complete and presentable. theres probably other things ive forgotten to mention

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200826-170709.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	9960926

you can see i remove the drivers side motor mount on subframe because i dont use it(this isnt the final result)
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20200826-181353.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.1 KB ID:	9960927
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20200829-085638.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.2 KB ID:	9960928

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200903-093917.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	9960929

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200903-094133.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	9960930

ive done a really poor job of documenting this second phase but i will get what pics i need. the car is nearly driving right now so theres allot going on that i dont have pics of.
                          Last edited by Dr. Rivet (hkv); 11-18-2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

i also removed the rear seat bulkhead against roguetoasters recommendation lol, i kinda like having no rear seat bulkhead tbh.

Comment

oil pickup shortened
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	20200903-101950.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	9960976

doesnt look like it but this steering setup was a big pain and time consumer but it turned out pretty good. from the left: UHMW plastic bushing for the shaft i made myself, stock steering shaft threaded and lock welded(can be removed) into adaptor i made to weld the quick detach too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201118-170242.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.6 KB ID:	9960977

you guys will be proud of me for this move, buh bye trucker dash
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	20201118-170252.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.7 KB ID:	9960978

brake setup up here is much cleaner. now only the master cylinder inputs are in this area and the outputs have been rerouted. much cleaner

Name:	20201118-170646.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	9960979

Comment

i have chopped the rear of the car up in anticipation of a nice big diffuser so no more center exit exhaust

Name:	20201118-171128.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	9960982

now i side dump, the lack of a stock fuel tank left me allot of room under the rear drivers side backseat that i was thinking of lowering my batter into but instead decided to take up with this

Name:	20201106-042144.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	9960983

as before, sound mitigation is brought to you by a baller vibrant ti peice

Name:	20201106-042138.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	9960984

dumping just in front of the rear wheel on the drivers side

Name:	20201118-170839.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	9960985

Comment

Working...
                                X