• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Best part of the conversion so far!
    2nd! That is awesome!

Comment

Many moons ago I bought an e46 pedal for the swap because I was familiar with it. Same pedal I used in my e30 but, of course I didn't look at the pedal and compare how it mounted vs what is in the car. Obviously, with a top mounted pedal fitting the e46 pedal would have required a bunch of work to get it to sit right in the pedal box:

So I took a chance and bought a tesla pedal. Much closer in mounting style and position:

I'm working on a bracket to 3D print because this pedal needs to be mounted higher.
      Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
      COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Shipment from ZeroEV - yeah!

COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Starting to layout the highvoltage and wiring for testing. This is my first time making wiring harnesses, etc. so I'm going very slow for now.

COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Big moment! We are successfully logged into the opensource board.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Logged into tesla board.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	9971070
            COTM Aug 2019

Comment

K....we are now getting the tesla drive unit to move but we are running into issues. Just posted this in the support forum so hopefully someone has a though about what's going on.

Here is the video of it running....and smoke coming from HV wires....

Last edited by rjmcdermott81; 01-24-2021, 09:34 PM.
              COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Success! Johannes from Openinverter.org did a support session with me this morning and quickly diagnosed the issue. The root cause was that my board wasn't getting any signal from the encoder at all. This was a quick fix because I was suspicious that I didn't have the pins fully engaged. It's possible that because there wasn't a signal coming from the encoder, the motor kept pulling more current to spin which overheated my under-spec'd wires.

We ran the test with 60v (5 x car batteries) and 2/00 wiring on the HV side. Everything is now working great.

In hindsight, if I had to do it all over again I would pay for a few hours with Johannes to be there for the first test runs. Really great resource to have. Thanks Johannes!

Here is the obligatory video...

COTM Aug 2019

Comment

I spoke to ElectricGT and my batteries are 5-6 weeks out which gives me time to sort out all the other parts - charger, brake pump, coolant pump, fuses/relays, etc.

I bought this fuse/relay box on Amazon for $40 and I'm pretty happy with it. People in the reviews complained that it is nothing more than a box of parts and no instructions and they are right, but it's all pretty straightforward: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Fuse and relay box.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	9971073
                  COTM Aug 2019

Comment

A couple updates. These feel like trivial things in the whole project but figuring out where and how to mount everything is taking time. I have the fuse/relay box wired in and working for testing but not mounted yet.

1. Brake Vacuum Pump - I mounted the vacuum pump in front of the radiator in hopes that having the radiator full of water between myself and the pump will dampen the noise. I put together a bracket by cutting thin steel and welding it. The hardware is temporary for now.

Name:	IMG_7442.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	9971081

2. Accelerator Pedal - I printed a bracket to mount the Tesla pedal in the car. Overall, placement looks similar to stock.

Name:	IMG_7447.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	9971078

Name:	IMG_7448.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	9971079

After mounting I zero'd in on the hole placement and I'm printing a beefier bracket with a higher infill:

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 8.54.37 PM.png
Views:	182
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	9971080
                    Attached Files
                    COTM Aug 2019

Comment

3. Water Pump - I purchased the Bosch pump from ZeroEV and I was trying to determine the right place to put it. Chatting with my neighbor we decided to look at his i3 and...well, it's the same pump. My takeaway is to put the pump directly below the coolant reservoir that. This will avoid air bubbles getting stuck.

Name:	IMG_7449.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	9971083
                      COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Updates?

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                        X