New car shopping in 2022 - GR86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
    I almost bought the last generation 86 GTS. I liked the way it drove, but the interior quality, torque hole and that my kids couldn’t fit in the back were the killers for me. Was going to go for a slightly used 2 series at that point, until the e92 popped up with low miles and a manual.

Good luck with it - with the new engine and better looking dash it should be excellent. Our next car purchase is likely to be something electric to compliment the diesel for long trips and the e30 for fun.
    Not having room for kids is a great excuse for me to not have kids.
    85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

Originally posted by turbski View Post
      Too bad bmw doesn't go retro and re introduce a model based off the e30 chasis. Much like the dart, challenger, supra etc.
      it would have to be manual only of course, 🤣 gotta keep all the kids with to much money from snapping them up.
      If the ND2 is feasible as a small af car bring back the E30.

Comment

My buddy on a local forum I've been on for ages got a new BRZ and LOVES it. I've said it'll be the car of choice for when the projects slow down at a later date.

He tracks/autocrosses his cars frequently, and tastefully modifies them.

His thread may be worth a read.

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I don't have too much to add other than there was a new BRZ at the local track the other day. I thought it looked very grown up compared to the old one.

this particular one had fairly large aftermarket wheels of some kind, slightly lower and some extra carbon lips, perhaps not how i would do modify but as a car it looked pretty great. Front looks better than the rear. 2.4L over the 2L has to be better and the internet reviewers all seem to suggest its a nice improvement.

Waiting list is through the roof here though, i think its over 12 months to get one.

Tell you what looks cool though. That GR Corolla...

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            I'm going to be honest, I don't like the facelift they did on the BRZ/etc. I think the first gen looks current/good, but basically buying one new is the way to go because their used prices are too high.

Wish they had something >250HP, would be interested in an STI variant if it ever came out.
            As it sits, I think it's a great base platform for tinkering, begging for better powerplant/suspension/wheels.

I was also looking at the F56 Mini JCW, back when they were starting at $35k CAD. A lot of car for the money, but I ended up with a used R56 with the year/model/options I wanted and I'm happy with that.
            Now they're $46k base with the junk filled "Premier+" package is lumped into the base MSRP and I don't know if you can even get one now without all the extra junk, so pass.

Interested in the Nissan Z, but they still haven't released the MSRP and I want to wait a few years into production before I would genuinely be interested.
            Supra falls into this category, but I assume it'll be more expensive, and no manual offering is a dealbreaker.

I'll be watching the Corolla GR, I think the guesses of 30k MSRP is laughable, and would expect like 45k?

As far as non-fun cars go - If I can get another year or two out of my Outback, I think I'd look into replacing it with something comparable but electric - Model Y Long Range or Performance are basically the only option at the moment. I would think more seriously about it if the prices didn't just shoot way up. Probably best to wait for some competition and the end of both the semiconductor/car shortage and the war in Ukraine.
            Man it's really funny to look back on a post from April and see how much has changed.

I did a 180 on my opinion of the BRZ/GR86 facelift. Huge fan now, I think seeing a few in person really changed my mind.
            At the price they are, I would buy one, throw a turbo on it, and go. Maybe wheels and tires and some sporty things, but I think it's the best tuner platform out there at the moment.

Also depressing that the F56 JCW is now >50k CAD even before taxes/delivery... Who would even pay that?

I received an email from Toyota for the Corolla GR, with a link to an application that is obviously trying to gauge how much of an "Influencer" you are to determine if you are allowed to buy one... Fuck off Toyota.

Also my excitement for the Nissan Z has vanished. Between issuing them to influencers 3+mo before they even announced pricing, and pricing coming out at almost DOUBLE what the outgoing car was? Hell to the no. For the extra 10k to get a Supra (which now comes in manual)​, I'm getting the Supra 10 times out of 10.

At this point I'm 100% not buying an electric car. Zero interest in anything Tesla. Would love a plugin hybrid wagon of some kind. Volvo V60 Recharge was on my mind for a few months but the power figures are basically fake, so I'm back to looking at old shit.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I think the new BRZ/GR86 is a great car.

If I were to buy new "car" I'd get the FL5 Civic Type R. Because practical-ish. Really liked my FK8, but they improved on everything with the FL5.

Too bad the new one will be 20k over MSRP probably everywhere... not that I could fathom spending even MSRP, I'm too cheap.

Rather throw silly amounts at an E30 project for now. Really trying to resist urges and have only 2 vehicles for me.

Next car will be something for the wife, bigger yet still good to great MPGs. A Rivian R1S would do nicely as the family vehicle but I'm not in that tax bracket.

On paper leaning towards RAV4 hybrid or similar. Even then, will look at barely used cars when the market calms some.
              Last edited by DEV0 E30; 11-03-2022, 10:18 AM.
              Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

I'm at the point in my life where I can afford a decent new car and none of it interests me, so I'm driving my beat old 30 and putting a new engine and big turbo on what was, as far as I can tell, the cheapest slicktop E34 wagon in the nation at the time ​. I suppose if pressed to buy new I'd get an RS3, they are fast, practical, and not terrible ugly. I just wish it was available as a wagon.

Also depressing that the F56 JCW is now >50k CAD even before taxes/delivery... Who would even pay that?
                I had to look at other car prices in CAD to see how bad that is since I have zero knowledge of the Canadian market. That is laughable, from what I found it's more expensive than a Golf R. You'd have to be nuts to choose a JCW Mini over a Golf R.

I received an email from Toyota for the Corolla GR, with a link to an application that is obviously trying to gauge how much of an "Influencer" you are to determine if you are allowed to buy one... Fuck off Toyota.

Also my excitement for the Nissan Z has vanished. Between issuing them to influencers 3+mo before they even announced pricing, and pricing coming out at almost DOUBLE what the outgoing car was? Hell to the no. For the extra 10k to get a Supra (which now comes in manual)​, I'm getting the Supra 10 times out of 10.

At this point I'm 100% not buying an electric car. Zero interest in anything Tesla. Would love a plugin hybrid wagon of some kind. Volvo V60 Recharge was on my mind for a few months but the power figures are basically fake, so I'm back to looking at old shit.​
                The new car way of paying over MSRP and the non stop internet hype machine is very tiresome. The Z is a non-starter for me, it's more expensive than a Mustang GT and far slower, any interest in it ends there. Hell it hasn't even been comparing favorably in braking distance, grip metrics, or steering feel. With a tune it will probably keep up with a GT but it's more expensive to start and you have to pay extra for a package to get an LSD - something all sports cars should come with from a factory, no exceptions.
                Last edited by varg; 11-04-2022, 07:20 AM.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                  I'm at the point in my life where I can afford a decent new car and none of it interests me, .
                  I have some hope the new rumors about a new MR2 might be something special, but I think it will be a less exciting Miata, if anything ... and yea... meh
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Have to admit had a bit of a look around at some new cars when my wife’s car decided to eat it’s transmission. Nothing much excited me at all (especially with the insane inflated prices at the moment). We decided to put $3.5k into replacing her transmission instead & will keep the car a few more years.
                    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I'm picking up my GR86 in track bRed this week. MSRP, 6MT base. Very excited, hoping it'll compliment my old turd of a K10 and E30 nicely.

The blocked oil pickup tube is a slight concern, but hopefully the 2023 models have it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        I have some hope the new rumors about a new MR2 might be something special, but I think it will be a less exciting Miata, if anything ... and yea... meh
                        I'm not optimistic. The Corolla GR is the first interesting thing to come out of Toyota in almost two decades, and of course they're going to make it in limited quantity and probably sell them all out for Golf R prices.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Haven't driven one myself, but pitted beside two supercharged FRS cars a few years ago in the Miata.
                          They made a glorious sound and went pretty well on track!

If I was in the market for a new car, they would be on my list.

Last edited by Panici; 11-08-2022, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                            I had to look at other car prices in CAD to see how bad that is since I have zero knowledge of the Canadian market. That is laughable, from what I found it's more expensive than a Golf R. You'd have to be nuts to choose a JCW Mini over a Golf R..
                            I haven't looked at RS3 prices, but an RS3 Avant would be spectacular.

VW on the other hand, I would never, other than maybe a Tiguan if I get desperate for a replacement. Just not a VW guy.
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I haven't looked at RS3 prices, but an RS3 Avant would be spectacular.

VW on the other hand, I would never, other than maybe a Tiguan if I get desperate for a replacement. Just not a VW guy.
                              How is a VW different from an Audi?

Comment

If you could get an M240i (I reluctantly put "M") at MSRP (49K) that would be an isane ride for the money..

380hp B58.. People seems to be raving about this chassis too, comparing it to the beloved previous generation. Looks are also growing on me..
                                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                                X