No announcement yet.

another forum gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is, he just doesn't have access to it.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
      There is, he just doesn't have access to it.
      Ah okay, is it Admin-only, or can we make a super-mod category with IP ban capabilities?

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
        Ah okay, is it Admin-only, or can we make a super-mod category with IP ban capabilities?
        Depends how the permissions are setup on the backend, I'm not familiar with vBulletin (I mostly ran phpbb forums wayyy back in the day) but it could have a few different levels. It may be a checkmark, or he may need admin access.

But no matter what... we need more than just Simon on duty, he needs to be able to ban IPs, and others should probably be empowered to help carry that load. It's not really fair to him to be the only one keeping this place from being overran.
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Looks like they are coming back for more...

edit: a few more since I left work...
          173.82.185.7 is back again... and Im going to be on vacation for ~5 days... Good luck R3V.

nando care to drop by and Ban some IPs?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
            But no matter what... we need more than just Simon on duty, he needs to be able to ban IPs, and others should probably be empowered to help carry that load. It's not really fair to him to be the only one keeping this place from being overran.
            Thanks... its a good thing R3V is a special place to me because I havent owned an E30 in years, but still hang around here
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

can we spam the asshole back or mess him up somehow in the meantime ? i have no web skills, but i can be mean lol

Comment

20 threads today...
                173.82.185.14 - I think this one had lots of other users assigned, including James Crivellone
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

20 threads today...
                  173.82.185.14 - I think this one had lots of other users assigned, including James Crivellone
                  Plot twist, James is the spammer, or maybe it's time to sell some type of authentication marking so we can identify real users, but only if we make it extremely cheap so everyone can afford it...

Comment

James Crivellonenando JasonC

Can you please IP Ban 173.82.185.7 .... They are spamming us endlessly

Last edited by 2mAn; 12-01-2022, 12:28 PM.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

The fact that 2mAn isn't the main mod is really annoying at this point.

This mfer doesn't even own an e30 and gives more time to this place than anyone else- so it seems.
                      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                        The fact that 2mAn isn't the main mod is really annoying at this point.

This mfer doesn't even own an e30 and gives more time to this place than anyone else- so it seems.
                        100%. He's the RTV holding this blown m20 together, honestly.
                        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

James Crivellonenando JasonC

Can you please IP Ban 173.82.185.7 .... They are spamming us endlessly

the latter two addresses are a VPN provider in CA... might want to ban that whole 5.62.56.* subnet as they'll pick up a different IP every time they log in.
                          past:
                          1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          1985 323i baur
                          current:
                          1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC08E26D-28F6-4CED-996A-D167BDAD66F0.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	10076966
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by AlexJ View Post
                              Also, vBulletin is dated. As far as BB systems go, it's a trusty workhorse. I've been on vBulletin boards for at least 20 years, which is part of the problem. Forums don't look like this anymore. They look like Reddit, which is maybe something worth considering. Where R3v has different forums, Reddit has searchable tags and flair. All content shown on a single feed. which can be filtered instantly by interest. There's no chance for a discussion board to go stale and stagnant because it's all one discussion board. It's a good system. Also, there's already a small E30 community there (www.reddit.com/r/e30), that I'd bet is filled mostly w/ young people (because old people don't use Reddit), and it would be very easy to merge with.
                              No, just no. Reddit is terrible, chronological and categorized information is the way of the sensible. The argument that just because there's a new way it's the better way is part of what is killing the internet and just turning it into electronic fast food, overly-commercialized mass produced slop for the masses. Where the internet was once the world wide web with nearly limitless information at your fingertips if you knew how to search, search engines more and more feed you algorithm-approved, advertiser or scam results first and what you want somewhere else. The best example is how google has seriously gone downhill as a search engine in the last 10 years alone, I'd call it more of an ad engine now. Centralization is terrible for the proliferation of information, tons of useful stuff has been lost to time as independent websites and forums have gone down, discarded in favor of megacorp instant-gratification swill like reddit and facebook.

IMO the internet peaked in the 200Xs, it has been downhill ever since. Web interface is awful now, endless scroll instead of pages, lack of chronological organization, massive companies with bloated HR and "trust and safety" divisions run everything, it's less fun and less informative. None of the bad stuff is gone; pop ups, obnoxious ads, scams, and the best stuff is more buried in the heaps of junk than ever.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

can i throw a suggestion out, as an InfoSec engineer? put captcha into the sign-up process and we'll get rid of a lot of these bots.
                                past:
                                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                                1985 323i baur
                                current:
                                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Working...
                                X