The r3v motorcycle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varg View Post
    I see plenty of weight reduction effort there, but tbh the first thing I noticed was the rear tire. That bike wants to get down in those corners, and consumables are so cheap on the little bikes, I'm just encouraging some track use and twisty road outings. The corners are where the fun begins and the track is the safest place to push.
    riding down to Alice's with a friend on tuesday

other than that, i live and work in san francisco and there just aren't a lot of twisties to be found in the city proper
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
      riding down to Alice's with a friend on tuesday

other than that, i live and work in san francisco and there just aren't a lot of twisties to be found in the city proper
      not much at all but hooooo boy are there some good roads once you get out into the hills
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
        not much at all but hooooo boy are there some good roads once you get out into the hills
        the route i usually take with my friend is 1 south from the city, rest stop at the taco bell in pacifica, then to alice's, and back to the city through the middle of the peninsula

there is one route home from work i've been planning but when the club lets out and we close and i'm going home at 4AM i'm usually too fatigued for "fun" riding... but i'll use one of those ride-mapping apps to show it if we ever have an "easy" night (ha)

but yeah, that's the other reason i was happy to get the bike fixed; don't really feel great about showing up to ride with your friends with damaged fairings, even if they weren't my fault
        past:
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:

Comment

varg, i just got texted to join a group ride with a couple of guys on RC390s tomorrow

stand by for new sidewall pics, and stories of thumper defeat :P
          past:
          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
          1985 323i baur
          current:

Comment

Here's a photo of my 2010 Yamaha FZ6 S2 and 2015 Yamaha FZ 09. I can say I'm a Yammie girl.;D
            Attached Files

Comment

if I were to get another bike, I really like the fz09/7
              1990 325is
              m52b28
              3.73lsd
              g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

The 888 got rego and I got my full licence, first time the bike has been ridden since 2001.

sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

How is it? Looks clean. I've never ridden an old Ducati, neat bikes though.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                    How is it? Looks clean. I've never ridden an old Ducati, neat bikes though.
                    Unbelievable. Totally unrefined, raw, and sketchy fast. It's heavy (compared to new things) but hides the weight reasonably well. I don't have an airbox, just an open filter; so when I'm on the throttle I can't hear the exhaust, only the intake. It's so good.
                    To put it in perspective, I had it out the other night for the first spirited ride, went to dip the clutch to pop the front wheel but instead just lay a fat burnout down the street. I lifted a bit so it gripped, then went back on it, and lofted the front wheel up. That's for a bike made in 1992.

If you can find one to ride, do so. It's a lot of fun.
                    sigpic

Comment

I mentioned this in the nonsense thread but didn't post pictures.

I picked up a 2000 CBR600F4 for $1000 CAD (~~$25 USD) to replace my Ninja 250R in the spring.

Observations:
                      Runs well
                      Brakes well
                      Clutch is like a switch, probably aftermarket
                      Was definitely someone's track bike before the previous owner - everything is lockwired or at least drilled for it.
                      has an early F4i rear split seat tail, but the tail fairing is battered.
                      hot bodies front flushmounts, which had the wires ripped out of the PCB
                      Headlight and dash doesn't work.
                      Wiring is generally atrocious.
                      Rear integrated tail with what looks like a milk carton used as a tail tidy???
                      Pops out of second gear if you get over like 5k RPM
                      Many holes drilled in the header collector "for drainage"
                      Various things bent/broken from being down or abused.
                      Front tire bald + wheel has a small dent
                      Aftermarket slip-op, maybe the rest is too, not in great shape though.

Plans:
                      Fix the shit.
                      Rattle can the tail fairing red after some fiberglass work.
                      954RR integrated taillight w/ some sort of surround

Deceiving picture from the FS ad lol:

Current Ninja 250R with a friend's 1984 GPz750

Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I was wanting an F4i before I got my R6. Normally those F4i's were used a lot as stunt bikes. The frames are pretty strong on them and the motors are pretty good too.
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd
                        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

It has like 70k (km) on it,but runs nice.

The engine is on my workbench now, I'm probably going to split the case to get at the gearbox sometime today.

My biggest worry is the lack of a friction zone on the clutch. I managed to make it work for a test drive after I stalled the bike initially, but that might've been dumb luck because my GPz friend who is used to a weirdly small friction zone stalled it 5 times or so before he managed to get going. Not sure why this is like this, unless it has some sort of super grabby aftermarket clutch.

Comment

So I split the case on the F4. A few broken clutch discs may explain the wacky clutch.

I found the dogs on second gear are mashed, other gears aren't spectacular. When I looked up the issue with second gear popping into neutral, I found it's a very common issue on these bikes, maybe because the dogs aren't back cut, idk. Pretty much everyone's suggestion is to buy new gears and throw them in.

Imagine my surprise when I find out that both gears are NLA. Can't find anywhere that still has them either.

Best option at this point seems to be to switch to F4i gears, assuming they even fit. The ratios for 5th and 6th are different, so I'm trying to find a full F4i transmission off ebay with a good set of 2nd dogs. Worst case, parts are at least still available for the F4i.

My FSAE team used to run '05ish CBR600RRs so I grabbed an old transmission set. While the full set of gears fits on the mainshaft and countershaft, the spacing between the shafts is different on the RR, so that was a few hours wasted.

Comment

Sounds like a cheap bike is turning expensive
                              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, that sucks, my worst nightmare for working on older bikes, not old enough to have aftermarket parts being made but the factory parts have run out.

I purchased a 1985 GPZ550 over the summer for $350 as a partially dismantled project, had trouble getting it to run right but persevered and it turned in a great little bike. Nice survivor condition.

Comment

Working...
                                X