X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melon
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
    Yeah I think part of my problem is my oil was too thin, looking at 15w40 diesel oil since that's apparently popular, or valvoline VR1 20w50. Gonna have some time to research while my new filter gets here.

I've been using the VR1, it's easy to get locally, and it's what Bimmerheads recommended.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

I'm going to join you one of these weeks, hopefully next weekend if you dont mind.

How are the roads now? Are there a shitload of cyclists or what?
    They aren’t bad, just have to get out early and it’s pretty quiet. There has been more of a CHP presence but I think their priority is to make sure people aren’t gathering...

rturbo 930 I just picked up 2 5qt jugs of Valvoline VR 20/50 with the high zinc content from O’Reillys for $30 each. I need 7 quarts total for the Datsun lol

Leave a comment:

• rturbo 930
    replied
    Yeah I think part of my problem is my oil was too thin, looking at 15w40 diesel oil since that's apparently popular, or valvoline VR1 20w50. Gonna have some time to research while my new filter gets here.

Leave a comment:

• Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post

Nah, it's common for M20s have shit oil pressure at hot idle and it doesn't seem to bother them. The oil pressure light switch is basically off = yes, on = no. I was pretty alarmed at how low my hot idle oil pressure got a times after installing a gauge, but was informed that it was pretty normal for it to be scary low when hot with with M20. I think it was 10psi/1000rpm = OK. With most engines I've owned 10psi at idle would have meant it's time to get ready for an engine out experience, but not an M20. Crappy oil pump, big clearances? I dunno which is the cause.
    That's why thicker oils are recommended on these old machines (from factory).

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Yup, I usually am up and out of the house by 7:30ish and am back home before 10am. Just depends on which path I take
    I'm going to join you one of these weeks, hopefully next weekend if you dont mind.

I'm going to send my seats in for a recover in two weeks, so my car is going to be out of commission for however long this dude takes, and when it comes to upholstery guys, they usually take forever.

How are the roads now? Are there a shitload of cyclists or what?

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied

Nah, it's common for M20s have shit oil pressure at hot idle and it doesn't seem to bother them. The oil pressure light switch is basically off = yes, on = no. I was pretty alarmed at how low my hot idle oil pressure got a times after installing a gauge, but was informed that it was pretty normal for it to be scary low when hot with with M20. I think it was 10psi/1000rpm = OK. With most engines I've owned 10psi at idle would have meant it's time to get ready for an engine out experience, but not an M20. Crappy oil pump, big clearances? I dunno which is the cause.
    hot dang!

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied

Wonder who told you that? :P

Leave a comment:

• ccsdo5
    replied

lol I've seen 7 psi at idle in my m42 waiting on track on HOT summer days with 20w50 VR1 I mean engine still runs fine it seems like other than having some blow by

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
    but I would think having 9 psi of oil pressure, you'd start to hear some banging going on in the motor or maybe a piston that might want to free itself. Check with a mechanical gauge like was suggested. You maybe able to rent one from O'Reily or VatoZone

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Tell me about it lol. My mom's newer Jetta doesn't even have a water temp gauge. I miss the days when cars came with all the gauges you needed for operation, not just warning lights.
    ugh my Outback is the same way. The worst part is that they removed it to add an analog econometer à la E30 dash... why the fuck do you think I need this? It's a heavy, AWD 3.6L with a horrible automatic. I'm burning a ton of gas? No shit, Sherlock.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Tell me about it lol. My mom's newer Jetta doesn't even have a water temp gauge. I miss the days when cars came with all the gauges you needed for operation, not just warning lights.
    You sound like an episode of Motorweek from the 1990s.

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    speaking of shipping...I ordered some parts for my jeep, transmission solinoids, on Wednesday...looks like they are still sitting at the place I bough them from. They created the label yesterday...thought they would have gone out today...oof

Loosing oil pressure, I suspect the gauge first. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I would think having 9 psi of oil pressure, you'd start to hear some banging going on in the motor or maybe a piston that might want to free itself. Check with a mechanical gauge like was suggested. You maybe able to rent one from O'Reily or VatoZone

Leave a comment:

• rturbo 930
    replied
    What kind of oil pressure gauge are you using?
    It's a VDO gauge, 0-100PSI. I considered that maybe the oil had become thinner with age, but I wasn't sure if that was something that happened, but it sounds like it is. I forgot to mention my E30 has had some starting issues lately, kinda hunts for idle, but ends up just stalling because the RPMs drop too low. Based on that chart, I think 15w50 would be ideal. My E30 is a 3 season car, so typical outside temps are above freezing. I'm considering doing an oil analysis when I change out the oil.

I hate how rare oil pressure gauges are as a standard feature in cars.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Oil is losing viscosity with age probably. Maybe even fuel diluted. What kind of oil pressure gauge are you using? I've had annoying issues with both oil pressure gauges I've had. The intellitronix gauge I have now has never shown a number between 8 and 18. It's pretty annoying that even a gauge that isn't a chinabay cheapo has these issues. I would not recommend buying one. I hate how rare oil pressure gauges are as a standard feature in cars.

I'm looking forward to seeing the oil analysis results for my recent oil change. I've been using Mobil1 15W50 since the installation of the new turbo along with the new feed setup and kludged oil cooler installation.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by varg; 04-03-2020, 02:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rturbo 930
    replied
    Can anyone give me an explanation as to why my oil pressure is gradually (over months) dropping, from 60psi on start up (according to a post of mine from a year ago) and 9psi hot idle, now down to about 55psi cold, and about 6psi hot, that doesn't include impending engine failure? Looked at my oil pressure gauge coming home the other day and noticed it was lower than usual (call it about 7.5psi hot in recent months). Due for an oil change, but I've had so many issues with the motors in my E30 that this is making me nervous. Don't wanna make a separate thread just yet, wanna do an oil change and move up to 15w40 I think to see what that does.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X