• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

Are you going tomorrow morning?
    Yup, I usually am up and out of the house by 7:30ish and am back home before 10am. Just depends on which path I take

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Only took 13 years, but finally have 7000 posts lol

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Right now?... not much but I look forward to my Saturday morning drives and being that rain is in the forecast for sunday-thursday it will be a nice thing to take out the Roadster
    Are you going tomorrow morning?

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Ugh. Wanted to make a new drift tool to easily install m20 intermediate bearings, but the metal supply house is closed. :( Didn't think a place like that would be closed - now gotta order online and hope that even shows up. Tried ordering some carbide inserts for the lathe yesterday and the site let you go through untilt he cart to tell you nothing is shipping out. Grrr.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

What's different on Friday? lol. My days and work hours blend with my personal life - oh the joys of working at a job your enthusiastic about.
    Right now?... not much but I look forward to my Saturday morning drives and being that rain is in the forecast for sunday-thursday it will be a nice thing to take out the Roadster

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

TGIF
    What's different on Friday? lol. My days and work hours blend with my personal life - oh the joys of working at a job your enthusiastic about.

On another note, it's funny how little things can make you feel so good. The lights burned out in my office and the landlord is dragging his feet with the repair. Been sitting in a dark office whenever I need to do something - or have the front door open for side light. Got some organizing done at the back of the shop around the lathe and welder - happen to find an old pair of fixtures that I could just rob the ballasts from. Between the cleaning up and a now bright office, the day is starting out well. :)

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied

TGIF

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    The strength of steel remains essentially unchanged until about 600°F. The steel retains about 50% of its strength at 1100°F. The steel loses all of its capacity when it melts at about 2700°F. However, for design purposes, it is usually assumed that all capacity is lost at about 2200°F.
    https://www.aisc.org/steel-solutions...-to-fire/#9370

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
    how have you prepared for this?
    I'm used to people stripping shelves and acting foolish when things start to get a little bit sideways. I'm a Florida man. So I did what I do before hurricane season, I bought my "hurricane food" and other essentials early (early February) so now I don't have to go shopping for weeks if people get particularly panicky. I also got some masks (well I have had them for a while) among other things that people panic bought and stripped the shelves of immediately upon things getting a little scary like alcohol and sanitizer. Not so much getting ready to catch it or treat people (beyond my wheelhouse), but making it so that I don't have to deal with people's erratic and panicked behavior. I also prompted my Mom and Grandmother to get some stuff set aside so when the grocery stores started getting raided they were good to go.

Now all I have to deal with is being home a whole hell of a lot. Online engineering school sucks and it's much harder to focus when you're home day after day. The only thing I wish I had the foresight to have done before this was pick up a barbell, weights and bench on craigslist, I miss lifting weights.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    There was a warehouse fire a few blocks from my shop. No planes involved and the steel roof girders melted in half after less than an hour of burning. Rode my bike down the block just as it was collapsing.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    Jesus this again.... You dont have to melt steel to weaken it to the point of failure with intense heat when its under 80+ % of working load ;)

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by Melon View Post

I'm sure there will be a conspiracy theory mantra to go along with it like "jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams"
    It doesnt !! And those buildings were designed to withstand 2 planes each

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    I have a friend that says he had this at the end of Dec. Had no test for it and didn't test positive for the flu...

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    T luckily had begun preparing for this to happen. People make fun of you for preparing for just about anything so I just kept it quiet, hopefully those people learn from this.
    how have you prepared for this?

Leave a comment:

• Melon
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    What's needed is and antibody test kit that fast and cheap to deploy and maunfacture. To start test vast swaths to the general population. That will tell us just how many people have already had this and recovered and never sought medical help. That will give us a better Idea of just how large the mortality rate is, I suspect this bug has been running rampant in the US for much longer than the last 2 months.
    It's quite possible it's been here for much longer. Some suggest September/October.
    In S. Korea it took a massive public event before it really began with community spread.

Antibody detection may be a test we all take at some point.

Also, this whole thing will be debated for years.
    I'm sure there will be a conspiracy theory mantra to go along with it like "jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams"

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    What's needed is and antibody test kit that fast and cheap to deploy and maunfacture. To start test vast swaths to the general population. That will tell us just how many people have already had this and recovered and never sought medical help. That will give us a better Idea of just how large the mortality rate is, I suspect this bug has been running rampant in the US for much longer than the last 2 months.

The cases we see in the medical wards are the worst of the worst and have taken a while to get that way.

I am not saying this is no big deal but I do think it's been blown out of proportion and way more people have had it than. anyone realizes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X