Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varg View Post
    Shopping for a new phone sucks...
    I've been buying used flagship phones used off ebay for 6+ years now. I bought my second S5 there since I liked the first one so much, and then I bought my current (but now dying from broken screen/pink line/obsolescence) S7 edge there. I've never had battery life issues as long as I reset the phone ~once a week.

I've always stuck to flagship phones because I've never seen a non-flagship android phone that wasn't absolute trash out of the box (camera/updates/lag/battery)

I recently thought about upgrading to an S10e, but I'm kind of frustrated with android. I was a hardcore android guy for the freedoms you used to get, but I can't even restrict a program from data usage anymore. Apparently it's to do with Google's in-app ad revenue... Anyway, iphones have the ability to disable data on a per-app basis, so it seems the tables have turned in that regard. The amount of trash apps from samsung/google/verizon on this S7 edge is also insane.

I'm very much not a fan of Apple as a company, but I'm actually considering making the switch.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      Hey Varg, I think you'd like these guys

maybe look into getting a used one. It's an android, but it doesn't come with all those stock apps that you can't get rid of

https://www.oneplus.com/
      I just became aware of them a few days ago... I'll have to seriously consider one for my next phone.

Originally posted by Northern View Post

I've been buying used flagship phones used off ebay for 6+ years now. I bought my second S5 there since I liked the first one so much, and then I bought my current (but now dying from broken screen/pink line/obsolescence) S7 edge there. I've never had battery life issues as long as I reset the phone ~once a week.

I've always stuck to flagship phones because I've never seen a non-flagship android phone that wasn't absolute trash out of the box (camera/updates/lag/battery)

I recently thought about upgrading to an S10e, but I'm kind of frustrated with android. I was a hardcore android guy for the freedoms you used to get, but I can't even restrict a program from data usage anymore. Apparently it's to do with Google's in-app ad revenue... Anyway, iphones have the ability to disable data on a per-app basis, so it seems the tables have turned in that regard. The amount of trash apps from samsung/google/verizon on this S7 edge is also insane.

I'm very much not a fan of Apple as a company, but I'm actually considering making the switch.
      Maybe you need a OnePlus?

Comment

The Dark Side of Will Im not sure why but most of your posts get flagged lol
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'm clearly and obviously a spambot.

Does it have to do with links in my posts?

ETA: This one went right through.

Comment

Yea links usually get flagged, and for some reason quoting others does, but not always... still figuring out this new setup... sigh
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

I just became aware of them a few days ago... I'll have to seriously consider one for my next phone.

My friend is all about them. He's a super nerd too, so if he had some nerdy shit to complain about, he would.

I've only heard good things.
              Originally posted by wholepailofwater
              Q
              :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

MrBurgundy, the oneplus phones are very nice in the specs department, but were all too large or too old with the exception of the 5. I do not play games or watch TV on my phone so I can't justify sacrificing the dealbreaker requirement (size) for some impressive specs I will never use aside from the camera.

I loved my S5. I had one, which when the screen came off after getting it repaired, was beyond economical repair and was replaced with a second that was purchased "new" on Amazon. It was, I suspect, not new at all and came set to chinese with a counterfeit charger. That S5 is a few years old now and barely usable due to the shit battery life, and it crashes when the battery gets low. Fully charged, on the charger, with the cache partition wiped, it benchmarks (PCmark) in the slightly above average range for an S5, but as soon as it is off the charger or less than 100% the benchmark score drops precipitously. The other one with the screen taped on in my drawer performs similarly. At this point, it's just not usable anymore due to lack of good batteries. I agree with you about the flagship thing, many of the cheaper android phones I was looking at actually had worse specs in some ways than my S5, and almost always a worse screen (I love that high resolution OLED). Being an 900A model, it was impossible to root my S5 which always bothered me because I couldn't uninstall apps that came with the phone or implement data restrictions on an app-by-app basis or install a filter or firewall, like an in-phone pihole. It seems data control capabilities have only gone downhill in Android land. Having had a rooted phone (HTC One X) with various custom ROMs in the past, I didn't really want to go that route, just root access, because even the "stable" cyanogenmod releases caused random crashes with my One X. I was actually prompted to replace it by the fact that one night it crashed while I was sleeping and my alarm failed to go off, so I put it in a drawer and bought the S5.

As for considering making the switch... As I stated before, I am pretty anti-apple. My last apple product was an ipod classic that was a gift, which I liked, but I hated itunes and all of the proprietary and locked down BS that is common to apple. I really hated that they got rid of the headphone jack on newer iphones too. In the end, despite all of that, I guess you could now consider me switched, because there's a refurbished 256GB iphone 8 in the mail with my name on it right now. I might jailbreak it if it is on a version of IOS that can be jailbroken, but I will definitely be controlling the data on an app by app basis and putting something like privacy pro on it to make my digital footprint as small as possible, this was a factor in my choice. I bought the 256GB model because I do not do cloud storage and need that space for music, documents, pictures, memes, etc. I guess I'll need an adapter for my wired headphones when I want to use them, unfortunately, but I usually use bluetooth headphones and a bluetooth adapter with my stereo so no big deal. On the plus side, it's smaller than my S5, has a barometer unlike every lower end android phone I was looking at (I use that regularly), and it has wireless charging. By being in phones that were getting endlessly larger and just generally not any better, android just lost another user to apple

(edit)
                Anyone with an iphone 8 have any screen protector recommendations? Not looking to spend a lot on them, the phone itself was already outside of my original budget, but it seems some of the cheaper ones are paying reviews off on amazon and there are issues with the glass not fitting the curve of the screen. My wife's screen protector is perfect, but she doesn't have any idea what the brand is. I'm 3D printing a TPU case for the time being, but still would like a glass screen protector.
                Last edited by varg; 01-10-2020, 11:46 AM.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

I looked at the link you posted, saw $739 and nope'd. On second glance, I'm seeing stuff in my price range on ebay, so I'll look a little closer...
                  Still not sure if that fixes the telemetry concerns or the lack of data control

Comment

Still not sure if that fixes the telemetry concerns or the lack of data control
                    I think only rooting and an app or a custom ROM will address that

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 1-26

Comment

I googled and I think their custom Android version allows toggling data per app, but I need to look into it further.
                      Their wikipedia page (for OxygenOS) says they caught flack in 2017 for telemetry but you can uninstall the service?

Prices for the 6T look reasonable (~$360 for buy it now in good cond.) and comparable to S9's (which I considered, but every S9 on ebay has a cracked screen, so that's not a great sign)
                      Last edited by Northern; 01-10-2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

wife and I just got the iPhone 11 pro max...LOVE it. I know it's nothing that you were looking for but some places still carry flip phones. Get a flip phone and then for those specific things you want a smart-ish device for, use a used phone that doesn't have a sim card. You can still connect it to wifi and update it and such.
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd
                        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Just got an email from Sixt with no real details. Looks like they are claiming I had 2 driving infractions within 2 hours of each other when I grabbed my rental car in Italy, back in October 2019. Last century PEOPLE, Im not living in the past, Im living for today... Lets see how this goes lol
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            Just got an email from Sixt with no real details. Looks like they are claiming I had 2 driving infractions within 2 hours of each other when I grabbed my rental car in Italy, back in October 2019. Last century PEOPLE, Im not living in the past, Im living for today... Lets see how this goes lol
                            HAHA why is the MAN always trying to keep ya down!?
                            1990 325is
                            m52b28
                            3.73lsd
                            g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post

HAHA why is the MAN always trying to keep ya down!?
                              No idea... I'll keep R3V updating as the story progresses haha
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                                [Phone stuff]
                                Any chance you could just get a new battery for your current s5? or get one of the rootable versions + battery if need be?

Comment

Working...
                                X