Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

well... start posting up about your bitch rides... Id love for you to have a MrB / multiple rides / shop antics thread. That would be gold. Just one spot with everything. GO!
    That sounds like fun, honestly. Got some cool projects I'm working on rn AND i got a new-to-me DSLR I can put to use.

Got my first speeding ticket in the e30 this year lol

Cops love pulling over the e30... jesus christ
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

That sounds like fun, honestly. Got some cool projects I'm working on rn AND i got a new-to-me DSLR I can put to use.

Got my first speeding ticket in the e30 this year lol

Cops love pulling over the e30... jesus christ
      Get a white sedan, be invisible.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

A white e39 M5

When I had my genesis coupe, it attracted 0 attention from cops, it was nice.. Bright red e30, not so much. But he hit me with the radar going 20 over lol If I was driving a honda odyssey I would have gotten a ticket
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          I got sucked into the P&R forum... dammit... haha
          I don't venture too much in there anymore. Normally I'm up for a good discussion but I'm rather worn on the issues these days.
          I do things.

Comment

A white e39 M5

When I had my genesis coupe, it attracted 0 attention from cops, it was nice.. Bright red e30, not so much. But he hit me with the radar going 20 over lol If I was driving a honda odyssey I would have gotten a ticket
            Not to toot the horn too much, but the least amount of attention from police I got was in the Corvette. Everyone loves them, I got away with so much shit in that car.

I brought it to TN seven times, drove the wheels off of it, no tickets. I bring the E30 once...
            I do things.

Comment

It hasn't even been a full week yet but I have my verdict on switching to an iphone from android phones. Iphone itself; good enough device. IOS; piece of illogical shit that requires workarounds and mental gymnastics just to use normally.

Highlights of the week included finding out that:
              -you can't just drag and drop files onto it from a computer and access them, but must import them using apple software (yuck) or a 3rd party manager and "sync" them, otherwise they will be on your iphone but not accessible. This applies to images, music, documents.
              -IOS does not organize images created on the phone in a logical manner automatically but just drops them all into one big stupid album called "recents" because they did away with the "camera roll" from previous IOS versions which, logically, placed photos you took with the phone in their own folder, apparently separate from screenshots and downloaded images
              -IOS does not support FLAC files, so I had to encode half of my music library as MP3 to listen to it, when my ancient android devices can play FLAC natively. I can't even use a 3rd party FLAC player because the managing software rejects FLACs for "syncing"
              -the 'files' app is useless and doesn't even show files you downloaded or created on the phone and that 3rd party file manager apps are just as blind to files that obviously exist
              -you can't turn off the sounds it makes when you send a text message without muting the arriving text notification sound
              -you can't turn off the camera and charging sounds without putting the phone on silent
              -you have to swipe up from the bottom and turn audio volume down when you put it on silent then turn it up when you turn silent off because IOS doesn't remember what you had volume set to in these respective modes

I'm sure more wonderful features from the genius programmers at apple inc are yet to be found

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

A white e39 M5

The car I had that came the closest to having a cloaking device was a '90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD. It was the consummate grandma car. It wasn't fast, but I did get it to handle passably by putting too much effort into it.
                I was on a divided highway coming into a small town to turn onto another divided highway at a stoplight. As the speed limit dropped coming into town, there was a cop on the side of the road. I don't remember which lane I was in, but I was passing a minivan when I saw the cop. The cop lit up, pulled out onto the highway and...

...pulled the minivan over.

If a cop sees your car next to a minivan and picks the minivan, *THAT* is an invisible car.

Comment

I think I'm getting back into my e30 again after spending this past summer doing the boring stuff to get it road worthy again - brakes, tires, handbrake hardware, some suspension stuff...

The tune was never great, and then romraider people figured out that the base table in MS41 will always try to hit lambda, so you can't just zero the WOT scalar and go tune...
                  That itself is not a huge problem, but I also need to scale all my load axes so I don't deal with an overflow issue, and have a bunch of small things to change.

I also always hated my Deka 60's for idling like crap, so I've found some Ford Motorsport 52lb/hr Bosch EV14's that I'm going to try out.
                  In the same order, I'll tack on a real Walbro 255 because this TRE pump feels like a gamble.
                  Annddd to top it off, if I don't want to blow the whole thing up, I may as well buy an EBC with some failsafes. I can get a GFB G-Force III for ~$350 CAD, which also takes an input from my wideband for Lambda based boost cut... last time I had my heart set on an e-boost 2 for more than double that price.

With a quick re-do of my charge piping, I'm hoping I can get a solid tune on the car this spring. If I finish building this S2.93, I could actually drive it places.
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Semi-related: does anyone have an LSD carrier for a 2.79/2.93/3.07 188mm they would part with? probably kind of rare unless someone has gutted differentials for some weird project.

Comment

I happen to have a carrier sitting on the bench with no home, but it's the wrong offset for your 2.93. :(
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I remembered two of them locally which I'm trying to track down. One was a dead end, I guess he scrapped it.
                        The other may be back in the hands of a friend of mine, but he has to look for it.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                          It hasn't even been a full week yet but I have my verdict on switching to an iphone from android phones.
                          I'm interested in revisiting this list in ~2 months to see how it changes as you get more used to iPhone. I'm still thinking about switching once my s7 is done clinging to life

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

I'm interested in revisiting this list in ~2 months to see how it changes as you get more used to iPhone. I'm still thinking about switching once my s7 is done clinging to life
                            Varg does not strike me as the sort of person who changes his mind. Just look at his undying love for the M42, which he certainly agrees is one of the best engines ever made.

Comment

Varg does not strike me as the sort of person who changes his mind. Just look at his undying love for the M42, which he certainly agrees is one of the best engines ever made.
                              It really is strange how much he loves the M42. I dont think its that great of a motor
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I am nothing if not highly critical of the things I own or refuse to own. I definitely don't change my mind about operating systems lacking basic functionality that has been standard since the first cameraphones existed (directing saved pictures and camera pictures to separate folders), or common file type support (FLAC, which my ancient android supported in its stock media player app), or common file managment protocol (drag and drop it into the appropriate folder and you can view it on the device). It's almost as frustrating as the unrootable nature of my old S5. I don't see how those issues don't bother you guys, they're extremely basic common sense functionality. Wouldn't it bug you if your car didn't have reverse or windows that roll down?

I'm probably going to wind up having to jailbreak it just so I can have file access and replace the camera, charge notification and text send sounds with silent audio files. That's not going to stop bugging me. IOS13 is worse than windows 10

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                [CoTM: 4-18]
                                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                                - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                                X