Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    I was doing a little research on the montana plate thing. It seemed like it wasn't as worry free as I once thought..

If you do it tho, lets go halfzies

Mr2mAn's Smog and Tax evasion LLC
    The Montana ship has sailed for me... the more logical move for me now is to just have a car that is smog exempt. Id prefer to have CA plates... I mean I finally got MR2MAN
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I live in Coconino County, AZ. No smog up in here. Just sayin'....................
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

There’s non-smog counties in California too...just sayin...

but how many times must I roll the dice. One more time? I’m a junkie lol
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Man, I bought some of that Dogecoin on a whim because cheap and a few pennies and it went insane lol.

Also, I have come to the conclusion, I HATE Windows 10. Now that I'm forced to use it for most things, shows how lackluster it really is. So glad the Toughbook has a quick change HDD, makes it easy to revert back when not online.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Man, I bought some of that Dogecoin on a whim because cheap and a few pennies and it went insane lol.
            I've been watching it for awhile but never wanted to make another brokerage account to be able to trade it. Kinda sad I've missed it from 0.01/0.02 but such is life.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Also, I have come to the conclusion, I HATE Windows 10. Now that I'm forced to use it for most things, shows how lackluster it really is. So glad the Toughbook has a quick change HDD, makes it easy to revert back when not online.
              If you hate Win10 you're really going to hate their next OS. Ultimately, it does work, and I haven't found much to complain about lately. The best alternative is probably just to switch to any number of Linux based builds with Win emulation if you have specific software needs, but the learning curve is real, and compatibility is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post

I've been watching it for awhile but never wanted to make another brokerage account to be able to trade it. Kinda sad I've missed it from 0.01/0.02 but such is life.
                When I opened the shop, a customer offered to pay me in 100 BTC. I opted the cash, and when BTC hit $1k, I was kicking myself (and prolly would have sold).

So, I bought a bunch of Doge for pennies and I have a feeling it will surpass the dollar.

My wife and I work full time, and also have four children, three of which are teens and live at home. Our household income was less than the family cap for all the stimulus payments, yet uncle sam decided to give everyone thousands last year. So, let's take some past experience knowledge from the early 12-1600's Asia and avoid inflation of the Yuans. You can't just hand out money to everyone and think it's going to stimulate anything for very long, supply/demand goes the wrong direction. Go buy a pine 2x4 right now. Cripe, they are $9 here, WTF.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

I think windows 10 is great!

What about it don't you like?
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

If you hate Win10 you're really going to hate their next OS. Ultimately, it does work, and I haven't found much to complain about lately. The best alternative is probably just to switch to any number of Linux based builds with Win emulation if you have specific software needs, but the learning curve is real, and compatibility is problematic.
                    Resource hogs. I realize I'm getting old. Kids are about gone, one is already a year grad from FSU, flipped over the handle bars of a bicycle when a poor lady almost ran me over in the hot pits at Daytona last weekend, but whatevs. PASCAL and BASIC was my AP Computer Science class in HS lol. Whopping 386sx with 10mb hdd....

There's just too much fluff in modern OS's. No reason to gate all those electrons for frivolous/convenient activities IMO.

As the old saying, "best joke ever: "MICROSOFT WORKS"
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Resource hogs. I realize I'm getting old. Kids are about gone, one is already a year grad from FSU, flipped over the handle bars of a bicycle when a poor lady almost ran me over in the hot pits at Daytona last weekend, but whatevs. PASCAL and BASIC was my AP Computer Science class in HS lol. Whopping 386sx with 10mb hdd....

There's just too much fluff in modern OS's. No reason to gate all those electrons for frivolous/convenient activities IMO.

As the old saying, "best joke ever: "MICROSOFT WORKS"
                      I'm not saying you should also do the same, but it's possible that I run an unactivated copy of Win10 Pro, and that has enabled me to turn off much of the pointless bloatware built in to the OS without that pesky downside of paying MS. Even so, it's a ~2GB system memory hog, but what system doesn't have at least 8GB these days?

Yeah, I started noticing creeping signs of old age coming in just after 30, however, I look forward to being anachronistic and generally irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                        I think windows 10 is great!

What about it don't you like?
                        I'm old. First PC was win 3.1

Win7 was the apex of MS. 8 and 8.1 was junk aside from the xp emulators and virtual machine ease. wino 10 is made for the "one button i-phantasm" crowd. Please, give me control of my hardware. I still use 9pin dbi/rs232 on a daily. 10 is a joke all day every day. Auto loading drivers, blah blah. I have the benefit of same machine, same day, same hardware and 10 is $hit, all day erry day.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

If you hate Win10 you're really going to hate their next OS.
                          Wasn't the idea behind 10 that it was the last new one they'd come out with and they'd just update it forever?

Anyway, I went from 7 to 10 about 18mo ago, and I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised, mostly. I do have some problems with my laptop, but not sure they're caused by the OS, or something else.

As an example, when I had my old laptop, for whatever reason I had a tough time getting it to connect with our printer. When I got my new laptop it did it without me even asking it to. Kind of a simple thing, but simple things like that make it nicer to use IMO. I still use MS Office 2003, and I found a way to use the old calculator since the new one sucks.

If there's specific programs you're using that aren't playing well with Win10 I could understand the preference for 7. I don't, and I mostly just want my stuff to work, and for my uses, it seems to work better.

Comment

^^^that's just the thing with 10. Unless it's the OE OS, it sucks to get it working properly on older machines. My lappy is old and can only 8gb RAM, but it's still an i5 and is blazing fast with the HDD (which I use a large paging file to comp memory). BUT I can't get the SD card slot to work at all with 10, even though I've gone through all the drivers etc, it bounces on/off wifi, and a lot of my older software doesn't jive so well with 10 - win 7U has an xp mode, even. I guess I could build virtual machines, but that's a pain too, specially when using rs232 often (lappy has a 9 pin native, so don't even need FTDI).

Win 10 spread the setting out and they are a pain to navigate, the folder layout based on date vs file location, "recent places" screws up my database software, and the list goes on. Sure taking the time to set up all the setting you like, just to have them all go away when starting with the new device and/or drive etc. Win 7 default setting are easily set up, about the only thing about 7 is the manual adding of drivers (which 10 gets a lot of them wrong on older products anyways).

Doge just bliped past $.50 lol.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

Yes, the settings in Win10 are a joke, but I do understand they plan to have a single access point in the near future. I also understand that Win10 probably can't last as the consumer "needs" for the OS will require a complete rework unless they want multiple versions for different styles of devices.

Much of the issue with 10 on older devices seems to be in the migration to 64 bit instruction sets, and hardware devs not bothering to rework legacy drivers. I get why MS wanted to lock it down for general security, but it did basically make lots of 5+ year old machines largely unusable. Ultimately, there are ways around unforunately normal things like SD slots being bricked, but they all require external hardware, which is the wave of the future.

That said, my otherwise fully functional laptop of around 6 years old did end up being relegated to TV duty in large part because of driver issues. OTOH, software changes require new hardware, which then requires new software, and we are expected to be good consumers by just biting the bullet and upgrading at the behest of larger corps.

Comment

I'm not saying you should also do the same, but it's possible that I run an unactivated copy of Win10 Pro, and that has enabled me to turn off much of the pointless bloatware built in to the OS without that pesky downside of paying MS. Even so, it's a ~2GB system memory hog, but what system doesn't have at least 8GB these days?
                                My desktop right now with the typical background apps and a dozen chrome tabs is hovering at 10.5GB of RAM usage. A fresh boot is like 5-6 and has been that way since I built it.
                                I assume there's some sort of suspending of apps/page filing shit that goes on in the background for something with less RAM but after running my laptop with 8GB I wouldn't buy that small again.

Most of my gripes are about how hard it is to get Win10 to deviate from default behaviour. (or the general uselessness of their online support/fixes which were subsequently removed from Win10...)

The intrusiveness of the updates, "fuck you and your job, we're restarting now" attitude that took so many "fixes" to finally disable.
                                Only then to have it start turning itself on in the middle of the night to update, losing whatever I was working on when I slept it, and then not going back to sleep or turning itself off so it just idles for hours or days.

Still can't seem to handle multiple monitors or displayport or something?
                                If it goes to sleep, on wakeup, monitors launch & resize desktop icons, windows, and the taskbar/system tray at random.
                                Systems at work seem to just lose monitors on wakeup, sometimes they'll comeback with unplugging/restarting, sometimes not.
                                Power outages do similar things.

"My Documents" isn't usable, everyone decided that's the place to dump junk folders for their program so I have 26 folders of junk and now keep my documents not in "my documents"
                                Hell, User folders in general need to not default into the same partition/drive as

Defender seems to falsely detect/quarantine stuff all the time. FTDI drivers, any ECU flashtool, etc. and is annoying to whitelist ("Allowed Threats" list does nothing, so you need to dig/scroll to the bottom to find the "Exclusions" list.)

On the other hand, there are no perfect alternatives. Yeah sure, linux and mac, great.
                                Outside of digital content creation, Mac/Linux just doesn't have widespread support.
                                Sure you can bootcamp/wine/whatever, but running a Mac just run run some sort of Windows VM is just running windows with extra steps.
                                If you're already going through the pain of Win10 anyway, why bother jumping through extra hoops?
                                Last edited by Northern; 04-16-2021, 01:15 PM.
                                Originally posted by priapism
                                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                                Originally posted by shameson
                                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                                X