Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varg View Post
    I've been searching several times per day for E34 wagons for a while now and E30s are cluttering my search results, tons of them for sale and prices are practically no different from when I bought mine once you take inflation into account The E34 market OTOH is sad. Hardly any for sale and most of those that are need a paint job or cost over $10k. Vehicle shipping costs are rising week by week too. E39 wagons are cheap and plentiful but seem to be pieces of crap compared to E34s and are uglier inside and out. Why do I always find my way into being able to afford something right as the price goes nuts
    I feel the same exact way.

---

I've been looking at newer vehicles and considering something fun for a daily again. I'm indecisive and I don't have the money to pull the trigger yet and some of these aren't even out yet. Also, these are all more $ than I've historically ever spent on a vehicle.

- ND Miata --- Would aim at one slightly used. Zero practicality, but it's new, reliable, and even gets good MPGs. (Luxobarge aka Lexus LX would serve the practical role). Miata's hold their value well...

- Corolla GR / GRMN --- Ya know, if it comes to the US with what should be an turbo, AWD, and awesome drivetrain from the GR Yaris. 4 Door would even be slightly practical. Probably will be super expensive.

- Next GT86 / GR86 --- Should solve the lackluster torque in the low end with the new engine. Would probably be a decent choice, more practical than the Miata.

---

Still have yet to test drive anything, I'm holding off until I have money in hand. Limited garage space (2 car) has me considering my 2nd vehicle (and 3rd car for the household) to check off a few boxes.

LX would be put under a cover behind an RV gate. Then, the hope would be is next house has at least a 3 car + RV gate.

Will report back on whatever I actually pull the trigger on, someday.
    Last edited by DEV0 E30; 06-03-2021, 10:34 AM.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

A friend has an ND miata and it's very nice/sporty. I hardly fit in it and I'm not into convertibles, so not really for me.

I would 100% fuck with a Yaris GR but they aren't here. (yet?)

BRZ/FRS-tysix or whatever... They looked very good, but this gen went very Camry on the styling and I think they could've done a better job.
      The supposedly will have another ~40HP, but I don't think that's o I'd scoop an end of production 2020 or a used one. Probably something I would buy as a project car with plans to swap or turbo.
      I think the outgoing gen looks so good, the chassis has a solid aftermarket, good characteristics for handling/upgrades.

400Z - I really want this car to do well. One of the last manual bastions and should be reasonably inexpensive? Also a big fan of the s30 throwback design. Kind of have a soft spot for the 370Z anyway as a cheap/new/rwd car
      Last edited by Northern; 06-04-2021, 10:11 AM.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
        A friend has an ND miata and it's very nice/sporty. I hardly fit in it and I'm not into convertibles, so not really for me.

I would 100% fuck with a Yaris GR but they aren't here. (yet?)

Next Gen BRZ/FRS-tysix or whatever they're called now... They looked good, not anymore. Another ~40HP isn't worth that trade, so I'd scoop an end of production 2020 or a used one. Probably something I would buy as a project car with plans to swap or turbo.
        I think the outgoing gen looks so good, the chassis has a solid aftermarket, good characteristics for handling/upgrades.

400Z - I really want this car to do well. One of the last manual bastions and should be reasonably inexpensive? Also a big fan of the s30 throwback design. Kind of have a soft spot for the 370Z anyway as a cheap/new/rwd car

I've never considered a convertible before honestly, but the hype around Miata's, especially the ND has me considering them. Older Miata's are going up in value, just like anything with an enthusiast following, was even considering one of those, but the ND I feel like could also be a daily. Not sure about other Miata's.

Yaris GR won't come to the US, but the rumor-mill is that the same drivetrain and AWD is coming to a hot version of the Corolla. But again, nothing is in stone. We could end up with a lukewarm Corolla, because we rarely get the good/cool stuff from Toyota. Problem is, if a true Turbo'd 3 Cylinder / AWD / Rally Corolla drops in limited quantities like the Yaris... it could be $40k USD, which ruins it for me, that's like 4/5 decent cars. But I'm a bargain shopper.

400Z does look great, very curious about price and specs once that drops.

Comment

According to what I saw in either Car & Driver or Motortrend it looks like the Corolla will get a GR with all the Yaris' goodies, but not for another year or two and in a 4 door hatch body. I'd fuq with it, especially if this M54 Wagon I have no continues to bore me.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            According to what I saw in either Car & Driver or Motortrend it looks like the Corolla will get a GR with all the Yaris' goodies, but not for another year or two and in a 4 door hatch body. I'd fuq with it, especially if this M54 Wagon I have no continues to bore me.
            In all honesty, I'm trying to not get too excited about it. I've seen the pics, renders, and stuff.

Loved my Fiesta ST... it excites me more than a Golf R, but it's the same formula. I test drove a new Corolla Hatch SE with manual, it wasn't bad but obviously it was appliance-like.

Take that and put the yaris GR bits in... and it kinda does everything my future daily should do considering plans in the next few years: 1. Daily 2. Bring the Fizz/Fun 3.Baby

Comment

Guys, the real GR Yaris would be great, but it would also be approaching 60k if they could even bring over the GR body/drivetrain to the US. The FWD weaksauce they'll probably offer in it's place will probably be okay, but ultimately junk.

The hot hatch segment will ultimately be dead in the next few development cycles, and that probably includes the GTI, but it will probably emerge later when regulations require manufacturers to stop making large vehicles.

Basically, buy a 318ti, mod it, and enjoy that before they all succumb to rust.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

...it kinda does everything my future daily should do considering plans in the next few years: 1. Daily 2. Bring the Fizz/Fun 3.Baby
                Thats what I want from my Daily, even if I am working from home. So far, the Wagon sort of checks all those boxes. Thats a nice feeling to have something good thats mine.

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                The hot hatch segment will ultimately be dead in the next few development cycles, and that probably includes the GTI, but it will probably emerge later when regulations require manufacturers to stop making large vehicles.

Basically, buy a 318ti, mod it, and enjoy that before they all succumb to rust.
                Knowing that theres less than ~8 years and likely only a few models left of new cars that will burn gasoline makes me hope something new gets me excited enough to buy a NEW car, not just a "new" car...

For now, I have the 20 year old wagon and some other junk to keep me busy in the garage.
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

I'm having a serious internal battle about getting a Type R. The new gen Civic hatchback "premiers" next Wednesday. They may share some tidbits of the next Type R. Used are the same or more than new. New one won't be as transformer-esque, but that style has grown on me. If I could make the numbers work, I'd go either slightly used or god I can't even believe it... new. As I've reasoned to myself dozens of times, there is no one perfect car, but if the Luxobarge Land Cruiser remains for what it's good at, getting something to fill the other roles... a Civic Type R could bring the fizz and do all of the things well enough. It would scratch the performance fun car itch while still getting double (at least) the MPGs of the suv. It's still a civic, an extremely expensive one at that, but I seriously loved the Fiesta ST feels, but something a little bigger would be smart for where life is headed, it can even be practical.

Comment

I like the Civic Type R's visually, the gunmetal grey ones look best to me. No clue how they drive though. But wow just searched real quick, $40k for a 2018 with 26k miles on it. I think I would go for a Focus RS before a Type R but also no clue how they drive either.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

That's the thing, they are sometimes more for used. Limited edition halo car and all that. I know someone who had to pay over MSRP even after he signed a deal to pay MSRP a year earlier with a dealer.

I'm slightly obsessed with grey (my LX is wrapped in something similar to cement grey), so I'd definitely pick Honda's "Sonic Grey Pearl" myself.

New one will be slightly less intense design wise, the new sedan shows the design language, it's more Accord-like.

Render:

Source: https://www.caranddriver.com/honda/civic-type-r

RS is a stunner, but the R has my number. It's just if I can justify to myself it is worth the cost. Aside from the chance I find an E30 I like... this could be my last gas car perhaps.

Comment

The Type R does it for me out of all of the cars of that style. Get one.

It's been raved about in almost every magazine I've come across as an excellent driver. Plus it looks fantastic IMO.

They're certainly pricey, but everything of an value feels pricey nowadays.
                        My previous build (currently E30-less)
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

What about that mess of angular features and fake grilles "does it" for you guys? I have no doubt that it is a great driving car but like the NSX it is a stylistic mess, which is hard to believe given how simple hondas used to look. The front end on the red one looks like a cartoon caveman, prominent brow ridge and jutting underbite, but it definitely looks better than the current gen with its plunging beltline, and it seems to hide the fake vents and vents a little better at least in that picture. And yeah, I've seen plenty of them in person.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

Just buy the motor and throw it in the E30 Touring you’re going to get.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Yeah I have a whole lot of dislike for the Civic/type R's looks and FWDness.

There's far too many fake grille/vent/splitter, like they were scared to have a solid panel anywhere on the car.
                              The hyper-aggressive design language is a big miss for me.
                              Uni-brow also isn't my thing, but it's the least offensive part of the styling
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                                The Type R does it for me out of all of the cars of that style. Get one.

It's been raved about in almost every magazine I've come across as an excellent driver. Plus it looks fantastic IMO.

They're certainly pricey, but everything of an value feels pricey nowadays.
                                It's up there on the list for sure, we'll see what happens.

The transformer styling really has grown on me, it's special and not like anything out there.
                                Then again if the release of the 11th gen type R with it's slightly more subdued (expected) styling has a lot of features that make it worth it, that could be a contender too.
                                The mid-cycle refresh (I think 2020) of the Type R they made the front air unlet area slightly larger for help with cooling, the render may mean they went even bigger, which could be helpful living somewhere that has been constantly over 117 the past week.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                Just buy the motor and throw it in the E30 Touring you’re going to get.
                                Haha, I like where your head is at, but this next purchase for a fun daily is to alleviate the need for a little bit for a project. I still really want an E30 touring, but only one of these things gets a garage spot, the rest will be subjected to harsh the harsh Arizona outdoors, likely under a cover/covers of some sort, but still, I've become very jaded with being able to garage the LX. Need more garage space.
                                Last edited by DEV0 E30; 06-22-2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X