Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    The Homologation Volvo 240 turbos were nothing special aside from appearance and rarity as well, but they didn't look like a race car in street trim, just a 240 with a different grille and hood. The appearance of the 190E Evolution 2 is such that it seems an incredibly disappointing car to drive, you'd be better off cloning it with a regular W201 than paying out the ass for the real thing if you actually want something fun to drive. I suppose the same applies to E30s, if you want something that is an E30 but is fun to drive and quick you're better off modifying a regular E30 than spending $50,000 on an M3. Not at all hard to mod a regular E30 to M3 killing performance.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

A lot of these cars have to be understood in the context of the time they were sold too.

My car is adequate by today's standards, even slow, but in 1987 it would have been a legit hot rod.
      Compared to a stock E30 M3, it's probably quicker with modern suspension and brakes too.

I love the 190E cars, the E30 M3 because of they way they look, the history surrounding them and all that, but modern cars do drive better. The chassis is better and the suspension tuning is great.

But, driving past a storefront with glass windows and seeing yourself in an 80's classic, that's what it's really all about.

As far as the six figure sums, I'm glad someone is paying it, we get to see immaculate builds like Jordan's threads.
      I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
        But, driving past a storefront with glass windows and seeing yourself in an 80's classic, that's what it's really all about.
        This, 100%.

It's the only thing keeping me from selling my E30. Of course I need to drive it to enjoy that feeling, so maybe I ought to go do that more.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
          A lot of these cars have to be understood in the context of the time they were sold too.
          I've said this so many times. A modern Civic will roast an e30 m3 on the street and track, but compare it to a 1988 Civic and things come to perspective. The s14b23 had something like 40hp more than the first gen vtec (second gen vtec actually match the m20 for HP but had anemic TQ). As I said before, even the mighty small blocks (both Chevy 350 and Ford 302) at the time still barely squeaked over 200bhp. The s14b25 made more than both. The LTx engines did slightly better, but it wasn't until the LSx that the SBC was making more power than the German I6's - even if the I6's had to rev a little to get there.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I mean 168 HP from a 2.5L in 1987 is respectable.

In 1987:
            302/5.0 H.O. 225hp
            L98 5.7L 240hp
            I do things.

Comment

If you can't handle me at my:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	1920px-BMW_M20_engine_in_BMW-Museum_in_Munich%2C_Bayern.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	9893443

Then you don't deserve me at my:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	7b2f190ce3bc080a4be926338f1b7c20.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	9893444
              I do things.

Comment

That looks to be an early m20 with a real distributor. The mount arms and steel oil pan tell me it's from an e28 (maybe as early as e12/e21), so that's probably an m20b20 with K or L Jetronic with something like 120hp. :/
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Missing an important part of the context around the cars up there guys, price. Yeah smog-era V8s sucked terribly and M20s and S14s had them by far in specific output but when you see what they cost you realize they'd better have more technically impressive engines, the cars they were in cost a lot more. I know, I know, there's more to life than 0-60 times, but there aren't many directly comparable metrics shared between those 3 vehicles to put performance into perspective.

The '90 Mercedes Evo 2 in that video; 0-60 in 7.1s, ~$80,000
                  '90 M3; 0-60 in 6.9s, ~$35,000
                  '90 Camaro 1LE; 0-60 in 6.3s, ~$20,000

It's a lot less impressive that a Ferrari V8 makes more hp/l than Coyote when you see that the former costs more than the whole car the latter belongs in. R&D costs a lot

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Toyota Yaris GR4 > Supra MK5
                    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      That looks to be an early m20 with a real distributor. The mount arms and steel oil pan tell me it's from an e28 (maybe as early as e12/e21), so that's probably an m20b20 with K or L Jetronic with something like 120hp. :/
                      It was meant more as a joke, a play on words. Also, the museum has the best engine pictures available.
                      I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                        Missing an important part of the context around the cars up there guys, price. Yeah smog-era V8s sucked terribly and M20s and S14s had them by far in specific output but when you see what they cost you realize they'd better have more technically impressive engines, the cars they were in cost a lot more. I know, I know, there's more to life than 0-60 times, but there aren't many directly comparable metrics shared between those 3 vehicles to put performance into perspective.

The '90 Mercedes Evo 2 in that video; 0-60 in 7.1s, ~$80,000
                        '90 M3; 0-60 in 6.9s, ~$35,000
                        '90 Camaro 1LE; 0-60 in 6.3s, ~$20,000

It's a lot less impressive that a Ferrari V8 makes more hp/l than Coyote when you see that the former costs more than the whole car the latter belongs in. R&D costs a lot
                        Oh wow, I didn't realize the prices of those. It's all relative for sure.
                        My car, 1987 originally a 325e was around $25,000 when new
                        I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

Does the same guy have a video on the E30 M3?

I realized today that its a lot more fun to drive slow car fast, VS fast car slow. Porsche is out the window, keeping the current setup with the Datsun and the E30. Im lucky to have these problems.

Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

No doubt, and sadly even the E34 M5 I had felt the same, albeit a much larger scale. Daily driven was sluggish because you werent revving it to 5000rpms... but if you DID... oh man. My commute was fairly boring, but there was one particular hill before arriving to work and by then, the oil was nice and warm, so I would always hammer 2nd and 3rd and arrive to work with a smile on my face. Still was happy to replace it with my first E30, the 86-ES. Yes I went from S38 to an ETA and was happy. The racecar engines are great on racetracks and in race situation but 95% of the time you are chugging along and they really arent good to live with.
                            I second this. My eta pulls almost as well as my E46 325i at < 3k RPMs, despite the much taller gearing and the lack of a 5th gear (both cars are auto) because the torque peak comes in 250 RPM earlier on the eta. High revving engines and close-ratio manual transmissions are fun for 5 minutes on the street then you realize what a pain in the ass they are to drive in modern traffic... they are more noisy (esp on the highway) cuz the engine needs its revs held higher, theres lots of shifting involved (which gets ultra annoying in stop and go) cuz the powerband/gear spread is narrower, and the engine needs more maintenance as those revs will beat up the engine internals and seals. The eta engine also works really well with an auto tranny. Add to that the Eta's undesirable status (which translates to a comparatively lower price) and that makes them the best E30 to daily IMO.
                            1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
                            1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

being at work today is a complete waste of time.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

being at work today is a complete waste of time.
                                See if you can do 50 posts on r3v before you go home.

Comment

Working...
                                X