• Show
Clear All

Looks like bedliner.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
      is that coating proprietary? I really like your stuff
      Raytheon, yes the rocket company, does the coating on our splitters and wangs. NA/NB are the only splitters we have currently,we're looking into other markets as well. We also offer a PDF template for those who wish to DiY the splitter with their own material.

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
      Looks like bedliner.
      It's pretty close to that, lol. Something relatively inexpensive, holds up to weather/sun, and somewhat durable. Bed-liner or similar polymer is pretty popular, which helps costs.
      Marcus @ Nine Lives Racing

Comment

Originally posted by ian e30 318is View Post

Onshape is free and what I use. The only stipulation if you don't want to pay is that all your work is public and can be accessed/copied by others. I messaged you on IG (Saltybeast) and my offer still stands to share the models with you if you'd like.
        Thanks! I thought I saw a message from you, but now its gone I will PM you
        Originally posted by flier129 View Post

Quick thought, what reasons are there to have that splitter so short and not go back further towards the front axle? The oil-pan is pretty low right, but you can cut around that. The reason I ask is because we've seen yuge gains on CFD data from extending the bottom of the splitter back as far as possible, on multiple chassis.

We've(9LR) been testing several materials on our NA/NB miata aero packages. 1/2" polymer coated birch, 10mm alumalight, and tegris have seen the best results. We've settled on 1/2" birch coated with...... "rocket nozzle" polymer It requires less mounting points than alumalite and just a tad heavier. Not too far off weight after we did some stress-testing on the birch and removed the material...

Also, very relevant to this post and forum. E30 wáng kits are actually ready: https://9livesracing.com/products/e30-big-wang-kit
        I do plan on continuing the flat underbody, so it'll connect to the splitter. I wanted to make the actual splitter separate so if/when it gets smashed I can just swap in a fresh panel. Also so I could play with lengths, mainly to make a shorter option for driving around town.

Kinda reminds me of Line-x? I wonder how line-xed plywood would holdup... or is that essentially what you're doing?

Yes big wang kits are definitely of interest... I was eyeing the "builders kit" as I'd like to make my own mounts when the time comes...
        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
        Shadetree30

Comment

Raytheon, yes the rocket company, does the coating on our splitters and wangs. NA/NB are the only splitters we have currently,we're looking into other markets as well. We also offer a PDF template for those who wish to DiY the splitter with their own material. It's pretty close to that, lol. Something relatively inexpensive, holds up to weather/sun, and somewhat durable. Bed-liner or similar polymer is pretty popular, which helps costs.
          That's super, I just met with a friend from Raytheon today oddly enough.
          91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
          Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
          E30 can make you, E30 can break you
          "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Also, very relevant to this post and forum. E30 wáng kits are actually ready: https://9livesracing.com/products/e30-big-wang-kit
            Already ordered mine!

Comment

Necro-Bump for this thread. Anyone know the legal width for an E30 wing in NASA and SCCA?

NASA Super Touring rules only have a width restriction for ST4. (We'll be ST3 by my calculations.) Height is limited to 8" over roof line
              SCCA GCR 2021 calls out 65-5/16" for most classes. Height seems to be all over the place.

I measured the car width as 64.2". Internet sources call out 64.4" - 64.7"

So, I'm thinking 64" wing from 9Lives with an adjustable mount, flush with roof (18" rise) or 6" over roof (24" rise).

Thanks
              "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
              2002 E39 M5

Comment

I wouldn't go over the roof, And that wing doesn't look to efficient posted above.

Thoroughly tested and race-proven wing elements available in custom lengths with custom mounting tab design and spacing to fit existing wing uprights. Downforce and drag data for each wing design is published to help you make the best choice to suit your needs.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Here's some data on the 9Lives wing.

The price and availability of aerodynamic car wings are making them more common in crap-can endurance racing. You can buy a cheap extruded aluminum wing on eBay, Amazon, or other online retailers f…

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Talk to Johnny at 9 Lives, he runs with NASA a lot and can point you in the right direction. I agree, you probably don't go 6" above the roof with the wing.

RISING EDGE

Comment

I talked to Johnny. (Nice guy) They run the wing 65" wide and 16" above the trunk. Legal for NASA, SCCA and BMW CCA. Got mine on order.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

9lives has been a staple in the racing community for a while. Worth the price tag if you want to be competitive.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I love my wing : - )

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Normally competition wings like this (not riceboy cosmetics) are attached to rigid places on car body, or supported with tubular constructions. Do you have some extra tubing under the trunk lid?

Comment

Nobody makes a "frame mount" wing kit for E30s unfortunately. The trunk seems strong enough to support this sort of installation.

I have a Bimmerworld V3 carbon wing (65" wide, 18" uprights) and it's mounted the same way. I can more or less hang on the wing. The trunk is pinned tightly (hood pins in front, latches in back) to take up any slack in the trunk seal.

RISING EDGE

Comment

What kind of "before and after" data do you guys have? cornering speeds? lap times? straight top speed?

Comment

Working...
                                X