• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
    +Flex Fuel Sensor
    +New Ethanol safe rubber
    +Gaskets
    +fuel pump
    +too much cash
    someone sounds scared to break the norm.

flex fuel sensor is easy to integrate into megasquirt
    ethanol safe rubber = $80 for the hose big fucking whoop
    gaskets, engine would be all new gaskets, and the ethanol is fine with the threebond I like to use
    fuel pump, okay walbro 255 would do justttt fine.

I found the weights of various BMW rods in another chart and aftermarket is not much lighter

M20B25 'i' length: 135mm weight: 0.626 kg
    M20B27 eta length: 130mm weight: 0.626 kg
    M50B25 length: 135mm weight: 0.645 kg
    M52/M54 length: 135mm weight: 0.584 kg
    S50/S52 length: 135mm weight: 0.535 kg

aftermarket eagle rods are 540grams so not worth it.

even just ITBs, very aggressive cams, valve springs and megasquirt is proven 165whp-180whp on the stock m42. Im not kidding, not exagerating, those are based off of 3+ dyno graphs/videos. Id probably start off with those parts and if I want to build the bottom end later I always could. 170whp is 200 at the crank basically, and even that would be a riot in the 318. gonna make my car a s50 killer.

as far as dailying it, the car cant suffer that bad under 3000rpm, even if it did it would purely be because of the aggressive camshafts. 280intake and 275 exhaust is the max you can go according to cat cams/VAC while still retaining hydraulic lifters.
    Last edited by 5Toes; 02-10-2016, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
      someone sounds scared to break the norm.

flex fuel sensor is easy to integrate into megasquirt
      ethanol safe rubber = $80 for the hose big fucking whoop
      gaskets, engine would be all new gaskets, and the ethanol is fine with the threebond I like to use
      fuel pump, okay walbro 255 would do justttt fine.

I found the weights of various BMW rods in another chart and aftermarket is not much lighter

M20B25 'i' length: 135mm weight: 0.626 kg
      M20B27 eta length: 130mm weight: 0.626 kg
      M50B25 length: 135mm weight: 0.645 kg
      M52/M54 length: 135mm weight: 0.584 kg
      S50/S52 length: 135mm weight: 0.535 kg

aftermarket eagle rods are 540grams so not worth it.

even just ITBs, very aggressive cams, valve springs and megasquirt is proven 165whp-180whp on the stock m42. Im not kidding, not exagerating, those are based off of 3+ dyno graphs/videos. Id probably start off with those parts and if I want to build the bottom end later I always could. 170whp is 200 at the crank basically, and even that would be a riot in the 318. gonna make my car a s50 killer.

as far as dailying it, the car cant suffer that bad under 3000rpm, even if it did it would purely be because of the aggressive camshafts. 280intake and 275 exhaust is the max you can go according to cat cams/VAC while still retaining hydraulic lifters.

This is how every 24v swap starts right?

Comment

Have you ever driven an aggressively cam'ed vehicle on the the street..

It gets old. Really quick.

If you just want 200hp - there's a lot easier/quicker/more reliable ways to do it.
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

kind of losing interest in the idea of a turbo m42. I think 200whp m42 N/A on E85 would be a cooler undertaking. parts in mind:

VAC RACING cams + steel springs/keepers
          m47 stroker crank new from BMW, knife edged and lightened + crank scraper
          CP pistons 12:1 compression
          m52 rods balanced (I think s52 is lightest 135mm rod from a factory BMW, definitely lighter than m42 factory ones)
          30lb injectors
          megasquirt
          RHD engineering ITB kit + flywheel
          custom longtube 4 into 1 headers

I think 200whp is doable with a 2 liter m42!!! flame suit on. just dreaming today at work, I am well aware this build would be $6000+
          Spend 6k on being a better driver.

Or a FC20 swap, at least that will sound cool, whereas an m42 will never, ever sound good.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post

Or a F20C swap, at least that will sound cool, whereas an m42 will never, ever sound good.
            ninja edit :up:
            -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
            91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
            08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
            04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
            Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
            Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
              Truth
              2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Im not spending any money any time soon on any engine build of any kind. I work in an office exclusively with old ladies who drive me crazy with their girlie talk and mannerisms so I tend to daydream a lot at work LOL

f20C swap would be dumb and cost equally as much if not more and not be anywhere near as cool but that's just my opinion

Comment

Im not spending any money any time soon on any engine build of any kind. I work in an office exclusively with old ladies who drive me crazy with their girlie talk and mannerisms so I tend to daydream a lot at work LOL

f20C swap would be dumb and cost equally as much if not more and not be anywhere near as cool but that's just my opinion

F20C > M42 all day, everyday. That statement just shows you've never driven an S2000.
                  -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                  91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                  08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                  04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                  Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                  Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Sub-200whp horsepower goals = killin it.
                    '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

How much torque does an f20c eh?
                      Hank Ahrens
                      1984 Alpine Coupe
                      1978 911sc

Comment

you're young and full of bad ideas, lol

just buy a metric mechanic motor and be done with it, if you feel like pissing money away.

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
                          How much torque does an f20c eh?
                          enough to turn a supercharger :-D

Comment

nope have not driven an s2000. and as far as 200whp in my gutted car, that could possibly outperform a e30 m3 EVO III. so don't see all the hate... why does everyone have to be so cynical? I like thinking out of the box and thinking about about things that have not really been tried in the community before, and just because something hasn't been done doesn't mean its a bad thing.

Anyone could go waste their money on a metric mechanic 2.1 rally m42, but for that much money a custom one off engine would outperform it on the dyno and be something I could be WAY MORE proud of.

Comment

So your goal is to outperform an E30 m3 EVO III in what?

All out speed on a track?
                              Purely hypothetical numbers?
                              On a Dyno?

Think outside the box is something like jamming an S2000 motor in the car, what you are proposing is to throw bad money at a project that probably won't net you the gains you think it will.

Look, we aren't telling you to NOT mod your car, but we are trying to help you spend your money wisely. Sometimes, there are reasons certain things aren't done to certain motors/chassis..etc. Not just because nobody has ventured down that path, but more so because it's not worth it in the end.

If you want to go all Ricky Bobby "I wanna go FAST!" then there is lots of avenues to do that. But it's a balance game.
                              2016 Ford Flex

Comment

I mentioned an EVO III because it is the holy grail of e30s and not all that powerful.

I drove my 325is the other night and it is a letdown compared to the m42 car in the handling department, stock vs stock. Im not interested in building a I6 e30, if I was Id be seriously looking for parts to put my s50 with a turbo manifold and ARP head studs in the car..

the BMW s42 is seriously bad ass and shows what the m42 head casting is capable of... I think the m42 hasn't gotten much attention because it is overshadowed by the s14, which in race trim made less hp/liter than the s42 which I find peculiar.

been talking to RHD engineering about their m42 itb set and hope to have my own set by the end of the month. better mpgs, more power, better sound, whats not to love haha (except the price)

Comment

Working...
                                X