PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pipes View Post
    First of all, everyone is ok. My middle son was designated driver and was driving my oldest and a couple of other kids during a big HS party. He went around a sharp corner, truck started to tip and he freaked out and stood on the brakes, which caused a snap roll. Cops said they were going to give him a ticket for "driving too fast for conditions" but they didn't ticket him on the spot so hopefully it was just talk. He wasn't speeding. Oldest son got cuffed and stuffed for an MIP even though there was no alcohol in their possession, then they let him go.
    I had a set of BMW E46 sport seats in it which stopped the roof from collapsing further than it did. The seats might have saved them.
    Im guessing speed was a factor. Glad everyone is ok. They raced vans, and buses, double decker cars on Top gear, bus tip over test on myth busters, all of which seemed very difficult to flip.

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by e30josh View Post
      I have a spare head I'd sell you if that's the route your going? I wouldn't waste money paying to get an 885 fully rebuilt again, they are floating around for 200 bucks on Craig's.

If you want peace of mind, do it by the book or maybe pay someone to help you guys through it. i still pull out the Bentley manual from time to time to double check myself and I've been working on these m20s for about 12 years now. They are simple, but there is a proper sequence for everything.

I can't say we all have been where you are, but I have definitely been there.

I'm currently dealing with another customer who personally re adjusted his tensioner after I put the motor together. He said he wanted peace of mind, so he had to get in there and touch everything himself. That's two m20's that I built in the last year take a shit!
      The only reason we had to touch anything was there was an early model water pump in the mix, and I have a late model. So we had to swap it out. If it failed due to it being too tight, it was definitely not your fault.
      Current daily: 2003 Mitsubishi Evo (Isabelle)
      Gone, but never forgotten: 2017 VW Golf R 6sp (Maria, sold)
      1989 325i 5sp (Lorelei, sold)
      1991 BMW 318is 5sp (Michaela; totaled)
      2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5sp (Selena, parted out)

IG: mitsugal_jenni

Comment

Originally posted by Pipes View Post
        1995 Range Rover Classic.
        Jesus fuck Bob, very sorry to see this, but glad your precious cargo made it out relatively ok. The car did its job and that's all that matters. Something was keeping an eye out for them, that much is for sure.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

No doubt about it. And yes, speed was a factor-- if he'd been going slower or not accelerating, it wouldn't have rolled. He was stopped, taking a left, saw an opening in traffic, and accelerated while doing a 180 degree turn up a hill (from 116th SB up NE 1st towards Home Depot in Bellevue). As he turned and was accelerating, the top portion of the truck, with a big steel safari roof rack and 4 people inside, wanted to tip toward the outside. He said he felt it tipping and stood on the brakes, which caused the roll to accelerate. He had only gone 50 feet from a stop, going up a hill, in a 5500lb truck with 160hp, so he was not exceeding the speed limit. Just exceeded the laws of physics! Note how the seats kept the roof from collapsing further:
          Attached Files
          1991 349is (wadded up)
          1984 Rabbit 2.0L16v swap (wife's)
          2003 LR Disco II (wife's)
          1993 MB 400SEL (son 1's)
          1980 MB 450SEL (son 2's)
          2004 KTM 525 EXC-R SM Sold:(

Comment

PNW Chit Chat thread

Don't think I'll be making the picnic this year. My car still wants to run like poo.

Cylinders 1 and 6 fire don't always fire. When it happens it's always together not just 1 or the other. I either get 4 or 6 cylinders. I've gone through and fixed all the vacuum leaks, replaced crank sensor, replaced cam sensor tried multiple set of known working coils out of multiple running cars, put a few new sets of plugs in it tried a couple dme's i even put my chip in for shits and giggles today. Last thing I can think is the crank pulley is somehow defective.

I've done lots of other stuff too if you name it or its suggested in forums I've tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Misfiring on paired cylinders sounds like a cap/rotor/wire problem to me.
              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
              willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
                Don't think I'll be making the picnic this year. My car still wants to run like poo.

Cylinders 1 and 6 fire don't always fire. When it happens it's always together not just 1 or the other. I either get 4 or 6 cylinders. I've gone through and fixed all the vacuum leaks, replaced crank sensor, replaced cam sensor tried multiple set of known working coils out of multiple running cars, put a few new sets of plugs in it tried a couple dme's i even put my chip in for shits and giggles today. Last thing I can think is the crank pulley is somehow defective.

I've done lots of other stuff too if you name it or its suggested in forums I've tried it.

1 issue i had, was my crank wheel, was 1 tooth off, locating hole was filled with grease. put it back on, same issue.

what i had made the mistake of doing was replacing bolt that holds crank sensor on. i did have the 1 with the washer before hand, im guessing the exact distance does matter, i replaced it with a exact same size bolt, but no washer

i would check to see if an oem bolt is holding crank sensor on or not. granted this was an m50nv , not sure which motor you have these days

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                  all things the m50 doesnt have. wow schnitz arent you a university student? lol

Comment

Injectors perhaps? Just had that issue on an m20, and it felt like a misfire, but the injector was dying. Those can be intermittent.. If not the injector it self, maybe check the harness for cracks, shorts..etc.

Remember, today's corn fed fuels aren't doing our cars any favors..

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                      1 issue i had, was my crank wheel, was 1 tooth off, locating hole was filled with grease. put it back on, same issue.

what i had made the mistake of doing was replacing bolt that holds crank sensor on. i did have the 1 with the washer before hand, im guessing the exact distance does matter, i replaced it with a exact same size bolt, but no washer

i would check to see if an oem bolt is holding crank sensor on or not. granted this was an m50nv , not sure which motor you have these days

Usually the spec for cps clearance is 1.0mm +or- 0.3mm.. I have two nv m50 parts engines, lmk if you can't find a trigger wheel down there

Comment

Anyone happen to have a driver side Rear Drive Flange / Wheel Hub for sale?

Thanks
                        Originally posted by James Crivellone
                        1) The internet is NOT serious business.

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                          I forgot he swapped, last time I saw that thing it was still the m20 iirc.
                          willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                            He's still on the right track, as in the replacement for cap and rotor would be the trigger wheel, which is what seth said he thinks the issue is.
                            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post

Well it doesn't have those parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
                                Well it doesn't have those parts.

Good thing you read the posts above...
                                willschnitz

Comment

Working...
                                X