N52 intake shootout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N52 intake shootout

I have, at this point, gotten my N52 swap pretty well sorted, run plenty of track days and put enough miles on it. This has been on the N54 intake, which isn't necessarily the "best" intake for the motor, it just happens to fit, clears everything and makes good power.

My mission for this year is to run 100% on the dual-DISA intake and do a comprehensive compare-and-contrast. Dynos. Lap times. (top speed on the straight, too!) Driving impressions, etc.

I have the new intake completely mounted and have already driven it a bit. It still has the tune from the N54 intake, my plan is to have a duplicate ECU just for this intake. It definitely has more torque down low but can't say too much more because the DISA isn't active yet. The sharp-eyed will notice that I have a dual-MC booster delete to clear the intake,

(this space reserved for future updates, like who would take it?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	10078720 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	10078721

Looking forward to updates!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Excited to find out the pros and cons of each manifold.

Comment

Yay! I love hoveringuy experiments
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Following this thread for science!

Comment

This aligns with my interests, looking forward to all your findings.
            Last edited by DEV0 E30; 12-21-2022, 02:54 PM.
            Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
              Following this thread for science!
              There is some data on this already, N54 intake mod was widely discussed starting around 2016 and there are some before/after dyno plots that show an increase in top-end power, but most of the threads devolve into name-calling and nothing really shows real-world performance. My theory is that I spend more time accelerating between corners in the the 4k rpm range than drag-racing down the straight at 7500, so lap times would really be the ultimate barometer, plus not everyone cares about power at 7000 but just wants useable power for commuting.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post

There is some data on this already, N54 intake mod was widely discussed starting around 2016 and there are some before/after dyno plots that show an increase in top-end power, but most of the threads devolve into name-calling and nothing really shows real-world performance. My theory is that I spend more time accelerating between corners in the the 4k rpm range than drag-racing down the straight at 7500, so lap times would really be the ultimate barometer, plus not everyone cares about power at 7000 but just wants useable power for commuting.

I think that's a valid theory and thought process.

More power down low to keep up with a Chrysler Pacifica and overtake a Toyota Sienna with more ease would be nice. I know you went booster delete, so for those with booster'd setups, time will tell what sort of combo will work with that.

EDIT: OH MY LAWD WE HAVE A SECTION BOYS, ITS A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE.

​

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

I know you went booster delete, so for those with booster'd setups, time will tell what sort of combo will work with that.

​

Spoiler alert, before I bolted everything I test-fit a Tesla booster. Clears fine.
                  Note: All the cool kids are running the CR-V remote reservoir (there's a picture of an S54 car with that setup somewhere....) that gives even more room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	10078820 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	10078821 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	10078822

Comment

I finally got the DISA-enabled ECU and had a chance for a quick test drive. What a hoot!

Next step is to put a few miles on it and take it to the dyno...

Comment

Baseline dyno!

Good news and bad news...

The good news is that I've picked up 17 torques at 3100. Interestingly, both graphs have peak torque at exactly 3168. What are the odds? There's a 10-15hp boost all the way to almost 5000.

The not as good news is that the motor kinda dies by 6000, but nando quickly noticed that the torque curve doesn't have the characteristic torque peaks that other N52's have. INPA shows that the DISA valves are opening and closing, and I can hear them "click" but removing them showed that it was bound-up at best and then it was stuck closed, so two new DISA valves are in the mail (they're at risk of disintegrating at this age, anyway)

That's opportunity #1, number 2 is that the A/F until around 4500 was in the 15.5 range, so there's room for a better fuel map which should bump power. The thought of getting 270ft-lbs is just delicious, show me an S54 that makes 270 ft-lbs....

The dyno is something of a dick measuring contest, what's more important is how the car feels to drive and from 6th gear on the freeway to getting groceries it's awesome now, it sure feels like 262 ft-lbs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.9 KB ID:	10083539

Comment

What type of dyno? Are you Reving out to 7800?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                          What type of dyno? Are you Reving out to 7800?
                          Not Dynojet, it's a magneto-resistance one that's supposedly calibrated to match Dynojet (there's a Dynojet up the road and they say cars are the same on the two)
                          Nice thing about this one is it's perfect for holding part-throttle load for data logging and fuel corrections.

We werent holding it that long because it was pointless.
                          Last edited by hoveringuy; 01-31-2023, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Dang it! haha. This is some good info here.

I guess I have some more work to do....

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks again for sharing and improving this swap for everyone else.

Comment

Working...
                              X