Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PPF M20 new ported race head

Hello,

What do the M20 geeks here think about this offer, the price, and the flow figures:

Kind regards

The as delivered AMC head flows like dogshit so that is a good improvement over that. However compared to a stock bmw cast 885 it is a very modest improvement on the inlet side given +1mm valves and seems to be roughly the same as stock on the exhaust.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I've heard they're less likely to crack and just by nature of being a repro casting, there's more meat to work with for porting and resisting typical damage.

That said, it's a lot of money. If people build with it and it is top notch, I think it's worth the money.
      At this time, you're putting a lot of trust in PPF's reputation and not a whole lot else...

Would love to see flow results from someone who buys one. Probably too much to ask to see finished build power figures anytime soon.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

For that money get one from bimmerheads imho.

Comment

Originally posted by khiobrien2 View Post
          For that money get one from bimmerheads imho.
          I wouldn’t agree with that if you’re after a high end ported head neither would be considered to fit that category but the ppf while bare seems a better option than the BH touring.

The BH ported stuff is very very expensive for what it is. I didn’t spend near that money if I hadn’t used the roller rocker/cam setup
          Last edited by digger; 04-18-2024, 02:12 PM.
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Where’s bimmerheads flow numbers?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
              Where’s bimmerheads flow numbers?
              They don’t provide them because they don’t have a flow bench. I do know people/customers who have had them flowed by a 3rd party

Comment

It's sad that there is so much snake oil sellers on the business. Any reputable tuner can hand port a blank AMC head 10-15% higher in CFM with similar total costs (no oversize valves needed).

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  I've heard they're less likely to crack and just by nature of being a repro casting, there's more meat to work with for porting and resisting typical damage.

That said, it's a lot of money. If people build with it and it is top notch, I think it's worth the money.
                  At this time, you're putting a lot of trust in PPF's reputation and not a whole lot else...

Would love to see flow results from someone who buys one. Probably too much to ask to see finished build power figures anytime soon.
                  less likely to crack, but more coreshift so you can run in trouble porting to the max but this head in the OP isnt ported to the max. i would start with a bmw cast 885 for porting to the max. IIRC Rama ported an AMC for his 2.9/3L and had it flowing very well but at the last minute broke through so ended up using a bmw casting.

Comment

Originally posted by hasa View Post
                    It's sad that there is so much snake oil sellers on the business. Any reputable tuner can hand port a blank AMC head 10-15% higher in CFM with similar total costs (no oversize valves needed).
                    i dont see how it snake oil, they atleast state what it flows and there is nothing suggest it isnt what is stated in the ad

Comment

digger you are right, announcing CFM is very fair from consumer point of view. Stating that it is "race" is exaggeration IMHO, but that is normal marketing.

Comment

The guys from Bimmerheads are on this forum. Ask them

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

It's sad that there is so much snake oil sellers on the business.
                          As P.T. said, there's a beardy hipster born every minute, might as well lighten his tighty- tighty jeans for 'im!

Same as it ever was- if you can't decipher the flow rates, I suspect you'd be happy with the 'race performance'.

Of course, there are plenty of race classes where porting is prohibited, so I guess I have 3 or 4 'race' heads in the barn, too.

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by It's Soda Not Pop View Post
                            The guys from Bimmerheads are on this forum. Ask them
                            They have been in business for years and never have published their numbers, why would they divulge them to a random r3v poster? I've heard nothing but good things about the bimmerheads guys, but the only reason not to divulge the numbers is that it would hurt sales. Nobody is racing these cars for money, so there's no validity to concealing things as "secret sauce" like what goes on in the grudge racing circles.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            [CoTM: 4-18]
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

They have been in business for years and never have published their numbers, why would they divulge them to a random r3v poster? I've heard nothing but good things about the bimmerheads guys, but the only reason not to divulge the numbers is that it would hurt sales. Nobody is racing these cars for money, so there's no validity to concealing things as "secret sauce" like what goes on in the grudge racing circles.
                              All I'm saying is ask them. I've seen a handful of comments about their stuff on this forum over the years. But it seems that no one asks them on this forum. That's what I mean. But I understand your point.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Working...
                              X