Subframe bushing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subframe bushing removal

Has anyone figured out an EASY way to remove rear subframe bushings from the subframe?

1.) Burning them out leaves the shell of the bushing still stuck in the subframe
    2.) Trying to push them out with an Autozone or Advance Auto ball joint removal toolset doesn't work because the sizes of the tools don't really match the bushing diameters

What is everyone's favorite method of getting those things out? I've got to believe that after 30 years, most of those things are shot by now.

A hydraulic press always seems to be my go to, but a large bench vise can work in a pinch. Either way you need to be very careful as a bit of off angle could easily make for a very bad day.

Comment

A press is nice, but what do you use to press against the bushings? You have to get right on the inside diameter of the subframe, or you're just pushing on rubber.

Comment

The bushing removal tool, SIR 3026. I rent it out and lets you do it while subframe is still on car. Currently being rented to an e24 owner.
        Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
        BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

I have a press. Most people use an attachment for a wheel bearing tool (what I use) that fits appropriately. You're more than welcome to give it a go, if you please. Bushing tool above is probably the best candidate.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Burning does in fact work. There is an outer rubber layer, outside the metal cup, that will cook and let the metal part drop out. However I do not recommend this method since it often ruins the powder coat paint and allows for more rust formation in the future. Also, it requires the subframe to be out of the car.

Either rent the proper tool, or pay a shop to press them. There is no other "easy" way really. The tool lets you do it on the car, which is nice. Dropping the whole subframe is not all that much more work IMO, especially if you plan to do subframe & diff bushings.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Can this tool be used?
              23 pcs Front Wheel Drive Bearing Removal Press Adapter Puller Pulley Tool Kit
              23Pc Front Wheel Drive Bearing Removal Installation Tool Kit. 31Pcs Front Wheel Drive Hub Bearing Puller Remover Install Removal Tool Kit Set. Tool set can be used for removal of wheel bearings on front wheel drive vehicles.

Comment

Probably not. The big problem with the subframe bushings is the length. You have to have a receiving cup that is long enough to push the busing all the way out of the subframe. If the receiver isn't long enough, the bushing only comes out part way.

Comment

Does the jack method work?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	tiki torches.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	9966705 I found burning them off to be very easy. To get the metal shells off...i used a sawzall to carefully cut a slit, then it just pried off very easily.
                    I tried using a bottle jack at first to push the bushing out...it just bulged out like almost half way but wouldn't budge...like glued in there. The burn method worked great. To get the new ones in; i used the bottle jack, a little soapy water and a touch of heat
                    (think a press but upside down)

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
                      Does the jack method work?

This might actually work. I'll have to give it a try on my next project.

Has anyone else tried this?

It sure would be easier that taking out the exhaust, differential and subframe.

Comment

I did it in the car without the tool. Drill/cut the rubber enough to get a sawzall in and cut from the center outward until you're through the outer layer. 2 cuts like that and I was able to just hammer them out with an air chisel easily. Didn't have to drop anything out of the car. I installed condor delrin bushings though, OE bushings might be a pain to press in.

Comment

Originally posted by tyeler18 View Post
                          I did it in the car without the tool. Drill/cut the rubber enough to get a sawzall in and cut from the center outward until you're through the outer layer. 2 cuts like that and I was able to just hammer them out with an air chisel easily. Didn't have to drop anything out of the car. I installed condor delrin bushings though, OE bushings might be a pain to press in.
                          Was this on a lift? I don't think I can get my sawzall under my jackstand lifted car to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post

Was this on a lift? I don't think I can get my sawzall under my jackstand lifted car to use it.
                            Yes I did do this on a lift, but I also have a small milwaukee cordless sawzall which fits in tight places easily.

Comment

Here is a good video of a subframe bushing removal. There has to be a better way to link YouTube but I'm on mobile so hopefully this link works.

This video series is great. I'm not a certified mechanic but it seems his methods are sound.

In this video we take a stab at replacing the bushings in the rear subframe with it still in the car. We'll also try to increase the rear ride height a tad./...

Comment

Working...
                              X