Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solipsism. EAG was smart in recognizing the price arbitrage between US and Europe and took advantage of it. None of their pricing is out of line with German market values in regards to any of their cars. Meaning EAG had nothing to do with pushing e30 M3 values northward, the heavy lifting was done in the German market by collectors there and EAG just took advantage of the 2-5 year time lag (arbitrage).

This really started with the old air cooled 911's. When the Euro peaked against the US$ and all the old 911's became H plate eligible as collector cars smarter German dealers realized they could get half price 911's in the NA market with low miles in very well maintained condition. From there they started looking at other vintage (30+ years old) cars and bid up the prices on e28 M5's, e24 M6's, MB 560sl's, MB 190 2.x v16's, and of course e30 M3's.

None of this should be a surprise to any of us. All of the above are examples of well built, premium cars that can never be recreated due to several factors (safety bloat the biggest one). It was a comment I read not to long ago on another board from a guy quoting an old classifieds ad from 1975 that really struck home:

"For Sale: Ferrari GTO - $7500."

Comment

Bottom line for me is, I daily drive my car. I wanted an M3 back in the day when they were affordable and now they are totally out of my reach. For someone like me, without unlimited funds; I would be nervous as hell driving an e30 M3 to the grocery store knowing if I sold it I could pay off my house AND maybe send one my kids to college. Plus, I've modified my e30 to be perfect for me, another thing I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to do to a pristine M3.

A local guy that tracks his M3 has done all kinds of track mods to his and pretty much canned the collectors value of it and I totally respect that. It's just not something I could do. So am I rationalizing having a lowly E30 versus the M3, maybe. But as much as I love my car I know that whether it snows or rains or I just feel like getting stupid in an empty parking lot; I'll do it with no regrets whatever the outcome.
      Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        Yeah but the people who are paying $102k for it aren't into it for the driving dynamics and performance, they're into telling other people that they have one, occasionally attending car shows and looking at it in the garage.
        ...and that's why it's nice to have people in the car world like Jerry Seinfield, Jay Leno..etc. Who actually do drive their collection - in LA traffic.

As has been said, you can't hold the E30M3 up to current car performance standards. Hell, if that was the benchmark for collectors cars, the only cars that would be worth anything are full on race cars like the 917, because pretty much every classic could be waxed by a Honda Odyssey.

I am not in the income bracket where I can drop 6-figures on a car because I really want it, but between my buddy and I - we have a decent car collection. And I really love looking at some of the cars we have and occasionally taking them out for a spirited drive, but I can't do that all the time. And honestly, I am more scared now than ever before to do it because there is so many clueless as f*ck people on the road. Now that driving has become the second or third most important thing to be doing while in the car, I just would rather not chance it. Hit my POS X3 all you want, but I'm just no going to risk anything I can't easily replace.

Does this mean I won't ever drive my E30's around? No, I really am loving driving the Touring around town now, and if it's a decent (not heavy raining) day, I'll happily drive it to work. But if I'm driving it, you know damn well I am avoiding the freeway and only using side streets..
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I was watching the Barrett auction last night

and pretty much everything was selling at great prices. There were hardly any bargains to be had.

I was surprise.

Some of the auctions last year were vacant and it's was a buyer's market at that point.

Comment

Regarding, getting better cars for the money...having met a few collectors the past few years I can tell you that the M3 was often added to the stable. These guys already have a bunch of sports cars such as Porsches, MBZ, Lambo, Ferrari so to them dropping 50K on a "slow" collectible E30 M3 that probably won't lose it's value is a no brainer. I got to visit a collector's warehouse once and it was like an auto museum with displays and videos playing in the background. Lancias, Porsches, MBZ, BMW, etc. etc. had to be at least 25 cars and you know some are not driven on the street. Just think how many of these warehouses exist? It's mindblowing next level shit.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
              As has been said, you can't hold the E30M3 up to current car performance standards.
              Nobody here is doing that though, so parroting that line is useless. People like me who have lost significant interest in the E30 M3 due to its price are making the point that we are more interested in performance and driving experience than heritage and bragging rights, not saying that the E30 M3 should be cheaper because it is slow. Only an idiot is going to say it's too expensive because it is slow, it's way different than saying I'm more interested in having a fast car than an important car, so I'm not terribly interested in an important car that costs more than many fast cars. Even for people who want the E30 M3 for nostalgia and heritage's sake with appreciation of its driving dynamics, the prices are becoming off-putting if you read through the comments. When a car is collectible and expensive, people are likely to be averse to driving it and enjoying it for fear of losing a significant amount of money, or if interested in that sort of thing, sacrificing resale value.

TL; DR everyone is aware that collectors aren't paying for performance
              Last edited by varg; 01-17-2018, 09:56 AM.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 1-26

Comment

..and that's why I still have the race car. It's my go fast - I don't give a sh*t if it wrecks (which it has) rode hard and put away wet car. I've replaced every panel on it except the roof.

The Alpina is the long term investment car.

The touring is the fun, mod to my hearts content car.

If your interest is to only go fast - then why are you dicking around with a brick on wheels? Get something with a more slippery design or if the 1320 is your drug, get something you can get a big tire under the rear.

Or better yet - get a crotch rocket.

I did the driving around a fast, beatup looking POS in primer for many years when I was younger, but now, when I'm on the street, I just want something that looks good and rides decently.

Sadly, 95% of the people on the road these days are more impressed with a Prius and sporting the correct PC bumpersticker than if a cars fast off the line..

Fact is - car culture is not what it used to be. People look at driving as a chore and not as a gateway to adventure or freedom. Cars are viewed as polluting, cyclist killers that should be heavily regulated and eventually banned (*cough* Paris *cough*).

That's hurting the car scene more than any inflated price point.
                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                  ..and that's why I still have the race car. It's my go fast - I don't give a sh*t if it wrecks (which it has) rode hard and put away wet car. I've replaced every panel on it except the roof.

The Alpina is the long term investment car.

The touring is the fun, mod to my hearts content car.

If your interest is to only go fast - then why are you dicking around with a brick on wheels? Get something with a more slippery design or if the 1320 is your drug, get something you can get a big tire under the rear.

Or better yet - get a crotch rocket.

I did the driving around a fast, beatup looking POS in primer for many years when I was younger, but now, when I'm on the street, I just want something that looks good and rides decently.

Sadly, 95% of the people on the road these days are more impressed with a Prius and sporting the correct PC bumpersticker than if a cars fast off the line..

Fact is - car culture is not what it used to be. People look at driving as a chore and not as a gateway to adventure or freedom. Cars are viewed as polluting, cyclist killers that should be heavily regulated and eventually banned (*cough* Paris *cough*).

That's hurting the car scene more than any inflated price point.
                  On the flip side of your last point, street fashion / music culture is currently embracing cars from the 80's and 90's, which is also pushing the prices up. Give it a couple more years and this crowd will forget about E30 M3's, 911's, etc..
                  Steve • Toronto
                  1991 318is • Brillantrot
                  Build Thread

Comment

I know I am late to the party, but god damn. 102k.
                    Current:
                    1989 325i
                    1988 M3
                    1987 325ic
                    Past:
                    2001 330ci
                    2001 M3

Comment

Shit man, it's hard to believe the "15k" days used to even exist.
                      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                      Q
                      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

What's your guys opinion on the S54 E30 M3 listed on Ebay right now.

Comment

Originally posted by RobDog View Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-BMW-M3...daWrWk&vxp=mtr
                          Wasn't this your car car?
                          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I agree with the point that if I purchased a well sorted E30 M3, it would probably sit in the garage or some guarded storage area. I had the coveted 2006 e46 ZCP Interlagos Blue M3. I bought it in 2015 with 17,000 miles. I bought it and parked it like an idiot. I was afraid to put miles on it or get a ding or dent. Everyone told me to baby it and it would skyrocket in value one day. Well, after about two years I got tired of staring at it in my garage as I started up my e36 M3 and zoomed away.

In retrospect, I was foolish. It was such a waste. I really believe cars should be driven and maintained. I drive the crap out of my Porsche 997.2 S. It too is a low mileage example and I don’t care, I drive it all the time. I drive the Verty30 all the time because I love being in it. I’m going to refresh everything in the Verty30 and drive the shit out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RobDog View Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-BMW-M3...daWrWk&vxp=mtr
                              It appears to be a really nice car. The birds nest in the glove box is kind of like pouring catsup on a hundred dollar steak. The mention in that ad that there are probably only 10 other s54 swap m3’s is really stupid. 110 maybe.... I can think of almost 10 that I know of.

I can’t imagine this car bringing anywhere near the money the seller has in it. If you are in the market for it, I’d say it’ll go for less than you could build it for.

Since it’s not on bat, maybe post in the craigslist section?
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Im pretty sure that car was for sale here and the seller had quite the attitude about it...
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X