Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone even visit this forum anymore??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
    I know a lot of people have had issues with the forum being slow since the update, but for a while now I haven't really had issues with that, until a few days ago when the pages suddenly started taking quite a bit longer to load, mind you I only mean maybe 20-30 seconds. It makes it difficult to quickly check the forum for new posts, and I can see why so many people have stopped posting entirely if pages are taking a minute or more to load. Nobody has time for that.
    In the same boat here^^

The new update slowed things down but was still okay to use. Whatever changed a few days ago slowed it down unbearably, but after logging in last night/this morning, it appears to be back to the old ‘normal’.

I know I get mad once a year and shit post on someone’s thread who’s asking too much $$ for their car, but I am logged into R3V and reading pretty much all day, so I would be willing to help with mitigating scammers or however I can (sadly not in the web development realm).
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      nando what do you think it will cost to fix whatever is causing the site to be so slow? I feel this page has extras that are slowing this thing down. Who has ever used the blogs/ articles / groups sections? Maybe that can be something the r3v survivors can pitch in on to make it happen. If it’s a sh!tshow for one man to deal with and James is the one man who can fix it on his own but doesn’t want to deal with it maybe this can be our gift to him?...
      I don't think it's the server, but I don't really know what the backend looks like. I'm sure James did everything he could with the current setup to fix it, I think he even upgraded the server hardware itself which didn't make much difference. It could be the bloat, it could be just this version of VBB - I don't have anyway of knowing without seeing under the hood.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

While we are on the topic, who (if anybody) moderates the Facebook group? There's so much spam in there.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
          While we are on the topic, who (if anybody) moderates the Facebook group? There's so much spam in there.
          I could be wrong, but I think its F34R
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Not me - I avoid Facebook car groups like the plague. too much stupid.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

R3v has been my number one since 2005, but this place is slower than it has ever been. Makes it very difficult to check in on every day.
              My previous build (currently E30-less)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing with you either.

That's a great question. There's things I could do to help, but I think the main problem is it's probably too much for just one person to handle. I don't think he wants to let this turn into E30tech but that's kind of what's happening unfortunately. Maybe there's stuff happening behind the scenes we don't know about? I have no idea.

James is somewhat active on facebook, but I think you and the remaining active mods/admins should reach out to him in a phone call or chat of some kind to see what you can help with etc. I vaguely remember him saying the database wasn't importing into the next software he wanted to transition to, but I could be wrong about that. Maybe backup the database, send it to a select few to see if they can get it imported or at least stable in another software.

I mean TJ is kinda right, I don't think this forum can go another year in painfully slow page-load, spam infested purgatory. This isn't to put blame or say what James and everyone who has contributed and still contribute to make this a resource are owed a debt of gratitude that can't really be repaid. It's just these forums are already losing the battle or have really lost the war in activity to facebook, which isn't to say it needs to compete, but in it's current state it's a painful posting experience but we want it to succeed and live on.
                Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

I was bored waiting for the cops earlier (check the nonsense thread for the background on that) and figured I should try and call James. He didnt answer but I left him a message and he text me back.

TLDR: the E30 CCA Chapter will be helping to manage the forum in the near future...

Basically R3V has outgrown James (his words, not mine). There were already some plans to spread the load with the E30 Chapter, but the timing hasnt been working out well, as they are also taking over the E30 Picnic. Forum is still updated (not sure if this has helped us or hurt us), but thats about the best thing he can offer us at the moment. He still loves R3v but has a lot on his plate.

I guess we can consider this part of the ebbs and flows of life and the Forum is just one piece of that puzzle...

Best thing we can all do is update our own threads, create the threads and keep posting. As annoying as it is, its the best way to get through this.
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Obviously running or helping on the forum is 100% a thankless job. I hope James doesn't take this all the wrong way. He's done good by the forum all these years. We just want to see it continue.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

That's good to hear. I wonder who is running the E30 CCA Chapter - hopefully, there are forum members involved, or at least we can have input on what needs to happen to fix this site. I haven't been to the E30 picnic in years, but I don't think it's run by the same group of people anymore (it's been nearly 20 years since the first one!).

Can James at least give one of us elevated privileges? or make you able to ban people? Just so we can limp along a little easier in the meantime..

Yeah, James has done a good job for a long time. I don't blame him for not having the time anymore.
                      Last edited by nando; 04-21-2021, 12:12 PM.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I haven't been active on r3v in several years but it is always a great resource to me even without an e30. Not to mention nostalgia...

Having only briefly skimmed through this thread my only comments are that the site is no slower than some other bmw sites. 2002FAQ for instance crawls along and throws errors, m42club sometimes doesn't even work if I'm on the wrong network, blunttech is a snail.

I shudder to picture a world where we have to discuss cars on facebook, can't stand the place.

All of that being said I am too lazy to offer a hand to help, so I thank those that have kept it going for so long and accept the fate that is dealt.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

E30 Chapter was spearheaded by Chris (agent), James and a few other Brodeo guys. I was originally part of the "SoCal" wing but I didnt really see any value in the BMW CCA, let alone an E30 chapter of it and once my E30 was gone I had less and less motivation to stay with em. I will do what I can to help R3V and I asked James again to give me ban powers (dont fuq with me) but we'll see. I can see the potential in R3V being the forum-home of the E30 Chapter but we'll see how things shape up in the future.

Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            ...I wonder who is running the E30 CCA Chapter...
                            The site says James is the vice president.

Comment

times change unfortunately. i still visit the forum but these cars are becoming collector cars instead of drivers and as people have moved on the knowledge has too. it happens to every chassis.

r3v is still the best e30 resource out there
                              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

E30tech herd that James been slacking and is coming back for E30 forum domination.

e30tech.com Forums - BMW E30 3 Series Online Technical Community

Ill have to get my dated windows XP machine out to load up outdated BB version of R3V in 15 years when computers are obsolete while warming up the still to make some corn juice for the E30 to run on.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                                X